Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion v.2.0

12 hours ago, mrewest said:

I lucked out & snagged one when they went on sale.  Had to replace my OG I sold a bit back.  Thought you got an OG freebie from Dan??

I do but they don't have jackets and are a bit rough because he was pretty wasted at that show and I watched him drop both records on the floor before he gave them to me haha.  He had them in his backpack just in paper inner sleeves.  So, I have the music, but the records are filled with some scratches/ticks and as Thomas said, a lot of surface noise.  ::shrug::   Would be nice to finally hear a clean copy.  I don't get why mine didn't go through tho.  I had it in my cart at 12:00 and when the clock turned to 12:03 after I submitted my paypal, it shot me back to the page saying it was sold out.  Why would it have let me submit the payment if it wasn't available?  I had to do it on my phone, because I wasn't around wifi.  Oh well.  I guess some records you just aren't meant to own haha. 

As far as the Jakob and Caspian represses.... I can't wait.  It's going to be an expensive year coming up with those, plus the Elusive Sound releases of Ravena and Silent Whale Becomes A Dream.  Someone should make like, Vinyl Savings Accounts like we have Health Savings Accounts where we can have money taken out of our paychecks pre-tax lol. 

22 hours ago, Sasan said:

Fuck those never-ending Xth Anniversary represses...give us Jakob!

I asked TMS about the Caspian repress, they had some problems and it likely won't arrive until Feb-ish of 2018.  Jakob they basically have no clue on haha.  I don't understand what takes so long to get these done?  Is it something with the previous labels and not supplying needed artwork files or master tapes?  I'm just so curious. 

Real curious what colors the Caspian will be though, because I've been *almost* pulling the trigger on a 1st press half white/half beer for the gatefold with the tan artwork, but this one will be gatefold too they said.  Excited. 

ALERT: This guy on Discogs is selling both Daturah 2xLP's at $14.99 apiece. I don't know how or why this is the case but one of you need to jump on this before I buy myself doubles because you will never again see these for that price:

https://www.discogs.com/seller/obscure./profile

6 hours ago, omik11303 said:

ALERT: This guy on Discogs is selling both Daturah 2xLP's at $14.99 apiece. I don't know how or why this is the case but one of you need to jump on this before I buy myself doubles because you will never again see these for that price:

https://www.discogs.com/seller/obscure./profile

awwww man, which Reverie did he have?  I've been after a black.  Nice snag Freki!

So Fluttery records just signed a new band, Khara, from Macedonia of all places.  Their first album is out now, and it's called "There Were Heroes Among Us".  You guys ought to give this a listen.  It's really well-done chill post-rock with some interesting takes on the drone concept, as "Ode To Edwin J. Hill" has this repeating guitar harmonic thing going on through most of the song that really lets you sink in and meditate on it.  The production on this album is absolutely top notch too.  Very archetypal Fluttery Records sound, and always enjoyable for me.  The opening track is perfect for the early morning when you're just kind of creaking into gear and getting going for the day when you don't want something overbearing. 

https://khara.bandcamp.com/releases

On 12/2/2017 at 10:22 AM, Gumbo72203 said:

So Fluttery records just signed a new band, Khara, from Macedonia of all places.  Their first album is out now, and it's called "There Were Heroes Among Us".  You guys ought to give this a listen.  It's really well-done chill post-rock with some interesting takes on the drone concept, as "Ode To Edwin J. Hill" has this repeating guitar harmonic thing going on through most of the song that really lets you sink in and meditate on it.  The production on this album is absolutely top notch too.  Very archetypal Fluttery Records sound, and always enjoyable for me.  The opening track is perfect for the early morning when you're just kind of creaking into gear and getting going for the day when you don't want something overbearing. 

https://khara.bandcamp.com/releases

do you know if CJ / A1KA is going to get some Rosetta vinyl?

On 10/30/2017 at 12:00 PM, omik11303 said:

New one for anyone with some spare time:

23ibixi.jpg

I don't know that I've ever listened to an album that sounds so much like a mash-up of post-rock/noise bands at polar opposite ends of the spectrum. Tracks 1 and 2 sound like vintage Godspeed, circa Skinny Fists and Yanqui. All of a sudden track 3 comes on and the first five minutes feel like I just pulled a B-side from Saxon Shore's latest, until it collapses in chaos, ushering in "Roads:" a swirling, apocalyptic concoction of distortion and percussion not unlike Year of No Light or familiar "Piss Crowns" from Godspeed's Asunder. The last two songs bring the album full-circle; "Gathering Clouds" brings back the old-school Godspeed goodness with hints of Mono shining through, while "Parting Hymns" is a largely upbeat finale with chimes and guitar loops that reminder me of Do Make Say Think, although that may perhaps be more my initial reaction than from any actual likeness. Highly recommended.

Update: Physical copies available for $5ppd, hand-numbered, hand-made #/20. Absolutely no reason not to get this.

https://goldenhymns.bandcamp.com/merch

Edited by omik11303

2 hours ago, omik11303 said:

Update: Physical copies available for $5ppd, hand-numbered, hand-made #/20. Absolutely no reason not to get this.

Picked up both.  It's not my absolute favorite thing but there's some suuuuper cool moments in these, and for handmade stuff that's only $5..... why not.  Thanks for the tip!

55 minutes ago, batman said:

Grabbed one of each. 

7 hours ago, omik11303 said:

4 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Picked up both.  It's not my absolute favorite thing but there's some suuuuper cool moments in these, and for handmade stuff that's only $5..... why not.  Thanks for the tip!

Sorry to barge in, but I really wanted to extend my gratitude to the three of you guys for buying my junk and all the good and critical words.

7 hours ago, Hymnals said:

Sorry to barge in, but I really wanted to extend my gratitude to the three of you guys for buying my junk and all the good and critical words.

Woah hey!  Thank you for the awesome music and incredible deal... I can't fucking wait.  I love how you get into those doomy sludge riffs out of the Godspeed-style post-rock.  Great stuff.  Not everyday listening but when I want fucking titanic, emotionally-heavy walls of power, you fit the bill. 

19 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I doubt it but I'll ask.  I'm not sure they deal with Translation Loss.  What's your motive for asking, if you don't mind?  I'm just curious cuz you can get it from Translation Loss haha

TL?

Pelagic. A1KA distros Pelagic now. This post was before they announced stateside pressing. They used War for QE, and he didn't do a bad job getting them out. Armine has been too busy with touring to give out much information on the vinyl.

1 hour ago, drds89 said:

TL?

Pelagic. A1KA distros Pelagic now. This post was before they announced stateside pressing. They used War for QE, and he didn't do a bad job getting them out. Armine has been too busy with touring to give out much information on the vinyl.

Ah yeah I saw the Pelagic post after this.  Meant to come back here and edit.  It will be interesting to see if they get any of these from Pelagic.  If they do, it would likely just be the black and none of the colored ones.  Although I will ask if the stateside variants aren't super interesting.  I fall more in love with this album every time I listen to it.  I can't wait to hear it on vinyl. 

I bought Utopiod, only 6 euros for shipping from Pelagic. I pick it up more because they are Rosetta; it is my least favorite of theirs so far. I'm willing to give it more listens. They are playing Sydney on Saturday at a pretty awesome venue with Sleepmakeswaves. Should be a pretty fun night. I feel like I've become kind of a hermit, so it's a big deal when I go to a show. I tend to buy tickets and then when the day comes I don't feel like going. 

Looks like 2018 is shaping up to be a big music year for me. Two of my favorites are recording right now: Latitudes and Glaciers. The last Latitudes has been on heavy rotation since its release (easily top 3 of 2016 for me). I always get nervous when a band I love releases new music though. Fingers crossed. 

On 12/5/2017 at 4:03 PM, pemulis said:

I bought Utopiod, only 6 euros for shipping from Pelagic. I pick it up more because they are Rosetta; it is my least favorite of theirs so far. I'm willing to give it more listens. They are playing Sydney on Saturday at a pretty awesome venue with Sleepmakeswaves. Should be a pretty fun night. I feel like I've become kind of a hermit, so it's a big deal when I go to a show. I tend to buy tickets and then when the day comes I don't feel like going. 

Looks like 2018 is shaping up to be a big music year for me. Two of my favorites are recording right now: Latitudes and Glaciers. The last Latitudes has been on heavy rotation since its release (easily top 3 of 2016 for me). I always get nervous when a band I love releases new music though. Fingers crossed. 

Latitudes and Glaciers - 2 great bands! Way overdue for Glaciers. I still like Agonist the best of all Latitudes but Old Sunshine was proggy good!

7 hours ago, mrewest said:

Incredible new song from Wess Meets West.

Confirmed: does not suck. 

Also, I got my copies of those Golden Hymns Sing albums in and man, I am so glad I bought both.  I think I might like the first album better than the 2nd!  So fucking good.  Really good with the Godspeed atmosphere without being Godspeed. 

In other news, I CANNOT stop listening to this song. 

I hope this isn't the end.......  this makes it hurt even more that I didn't get to see the Requiem for Hell tour. 

From Facebook...

● Departure of a member and show cancellation notice ●

Due to personal reasons, our drummer Takada will be now leaving the band.

And also, after several discussions, we have decided to cancel our performance at STORM OF VOID's "War Inside You" release tour on December 22 at Shibuya club Asia due to the reason above.

We would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused to all the people who are involved; the host of the night STORM OF VOID, all the performers and involved personnel, and everyone who has purchased the tickets.

Thank you for your understanding and the continued support of MONO.

Note: No refund will be made for the cancellation above