Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion v.2.0

Mono have logged in significant touring mileage throughout their career, amazing they have held up for so long without burning out. Hopefully, Takada is ok health-wise and Mono can surely find a replacement if the remaining three want to keep it going. They really should take a break for a couple of years, do some more solo stuff if they want, rest up and regroup regarding their direction of sound.  Last time I saw them they were loud as ever, but seemed not as into as the first time, but it was toward the end of a six or seven month world tour iirc.

The Wess Meets West song is fantastic - ready for more from them! Saw the link on IG yesterday but couldn't get to it so thanks for the linkage here.

In case it wasn't mentioned, Te' released a 5 song EP earlier this year, no vinyl, but still excellent as always. Hard to search because of the accent mark on the e, and even then searches don't always catch it. Where toe are jazzy, and LITE are light (or medium),  Vasudeva, Enemies, etc. are noodly, and Giraffes!? are mathy, Te' bring a harder rock (gain on the guitars) in their instrumental music. Driving energy with nice riffs, linear, not circular music, and they never really cross into a metal sound imo. If you like their former material, check them out. The album is called "Kai."

Kai

Reddit has a nice postrock release list by month for 2017 for those into making lists and checking missed material (of which there is a goodly amount not mentioned here)

Postrock albums of 2017 as of December 9

Edited by drds89
idiot grammar and linkage

21 hours ago, drds89 said:

Mono have logged in significant touring mileage throughout their career, amazing they have held up for so long without burning out. Hopefully, Takada is ok health-wise and Mono can surely find a replacement if the remaining three want to keep it going. They really should take a break for a couple of years, do some more solo stuff if they want, rest up and regroup regarding their direction of sound.  Last time I saw them they were loud as ever, but seemed not as into as the first time, but it was toward the end of a six or seven month world tour iirc.

The Wess Meets West song is fantastic - ready for more from them! Saw the link on IG yesterday but couldn't get to it so thanks for the linkage here.

In case it wasn't mentioned, Te' released a 5 song EP earlier this year, no vinyl, but still excellent as always. Hard to search because of the accent mark on the e, and even then searches don't always catch it. Where toe are jazzy, and LITE are light (or medium),  Vasudeva, Enemies, etc. are noodly, and Giraffes!? are mathy, Te' bring a harder rock (gain on the guitars) in their instrumental music. Driving energy with nice riffs, linear, not circular music, and they never really cross into a metal sound imo. If you like their former material, check them out. The album is called "Kai."

Kai

Reddit has a nice postrock release list by month for 2017 for those into making lists and checking missed material (of which there is a goodly amount not mentioned here)

Yeah.... I have always been surprised by their amount of touring.  It's inhuman!  I remember reading somewhere they broke their own record this year by playing 30 shows in 30 different cities without a day off or something like that.  I don't know how you do that. 

Putting "Kai" on right now though, sounds like classic Te'! 

Also I have a random question for you guys...  I've been listening to April Rain a lot lately, and I *swore* that their other albums were on vinyl, but is Waiting For Sunrise the only one? 

1 hour ago, The Butcha said:

Good ole Evan has that Doomina LP for sale for $12ppd on his for sale thread. Steal of a deal for some solid post metal. Would grab if I didn't already have it.

Yes someone buy!  I know I set up that group buy but I just honestly never spin it & am unloading a lot of stuff I don't spin/have extras of.  Selling a copy of Tertia as well for $12ppd.  And Giants "They...".

14 hours ago, The Butcha said:

Super stoked for the newest We Lost The Sea represses. Keep seeing their photos posted on IG and they look beautiful. 

Yeah, right?  Unfortunately that coke bottle green with bone splatter is Aus only but if we get 8 people to buy it from bandcamp, it brings the cost down to like $40 instead of $57....   i'd be into that if you guys were up for it. 

I *love* the Translation Loss clear splatter variant for TQPOE though. 

17 hours ago, The Butcha said:

Good ole Evan has that Doomina LP for sale for $12ppd on his for sale thread. Steal of a deal for some solid post metal. Would grab if I didn't already have it.

Is it the S/T album?  I'm checking it out now, and this is pretttttty good stuff. 

Edited by Gumbo72203

25 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Yeah, right?  Unfortunately that coke bottle green with bone splatter is Aus only but if we get 8 people to buy it from bandcamp, it brings the cost down to like $40 instead of $57....   i'd be into that if you guys were up for it. 

I *love* the Translation Loss clear splatter variant for TQPOE though. 

Is it the S/T album?  I'm checking it out now, and this is pretttttty good stuff. 

Yes.  It's S/T.  BUY IT.  Also buy Terraformer.  I'll give you a special 2 for $20ppd deal!  

On 12/9/2017 at 5:47 PM, drds89 said:

Thank you for sharing this! I haven't been keeping up with instrumental music as much this year, and I have been wanting something cohesive to help me get back on it.

What were the stand-outs for you guys this year?

11 minutes ago, deafening said:

Thank you for sharing this! I haven't been keeping up with instrumental music as much this year, and I have been wanting something cohesive to help me get back on it.

Definitely Ranges, Appalaches, and Silent Whale Becomes A Dream to start.  This Patch of Sky was also very solid.  Not instrumental, but Arrowhead's EP "Maunder" and the new Rosetta album get continuous spin from me. 

7 minutes ago, deafening said:

I've been meaning to ask this as well.  My list (in order)...

***Favorite of the year by far***

Glories

***Top Tier/future personal "classics"***

Sleepmakeswaves

Frequency Eater

Godspeed

***Great albums start to finish***

Spectral Echo

Riding Panico

Rob Scallon

***Solid, but I have to be in the mood***

Appalaches

Do Make Say Think

Ranges

***Very disappointing overall, but the standouts are top tier***

This Patch of Sky

***Ok but I really have no desire to revisit***

Strawberry Girls

Palehorse/Palerider

Terraformer

Vasudeva

George Will

Saw We Lost the Sea play to about 80 people last night on their 5 years since TQPOE tour played a mix of the old stuff with a guest vocalist and departure songs, about a 50/50 split. Opened with an abridged version of With Grace and closed with A Gallant Gentleman two of my favourite tracks...

Picked up the TQPOE repress with the blue and baby Blue, was the only version they had... 

On 12/14/2017 at 7:38 PM, 2notepockets said:

Saw We Lost the Sea play to about 80 people last night on their 5 years since TQPOE tour played a mix of the old stuff with a guest vocalist and departure songs, about a 50/50 split. Opened with an abridged version of With Grace and closed with A Gallant Gentleman two of my favourite tracks...

Picked up the TQPOE repress with the blue and baby Blue, was the only version they had... 

So jealous!  I would kill to hear "With Grace".  How was it different? 

Also I need to shout out to @omik11303 for exposing me to those Golden Hymns Sing albums!  I bought both physical CDs and they have NOT left my car since they came!  Both albums are so deep, and continually reveal new intricacies.  If you guys have not checked these albums out, you must do so.  They are a patient listen... and will not reveal all of their secrets immediately.  But oh man, each album just gets better and better each time through.  Thanks buddy!

20 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

So jealous!  I would kill to hear "With Grace".  How was it different? 

Aha it was actually A Quiet Place they played first my bad, for some reason I get those 2 tracks mixed up...

Saw them play departure songs in full last time and whilst a good show it was ruined by the DJ in the Bar next door blaring over the quiet moments... I preferred this show anyway I think - the Cult of ISIS heavy tracks of TQPOE mixed with the more melodic Departure Songs material made for a more interesting show, probably because I was stone cold sober so needed the change up to keep things interesting lol

15 hours ago, 2notepockets said:

Aha it was actually A Quiet Place they played first my bad, for some reason I get those 2 tracks mixed up...

Saw them play departure songs in full last time and whilst a good show it was ruined by the DJ in the Bar next door blaring over the quiet moments... I preferred this show anyway I think - the Cult of ISIS heavy tracks of TQPOE mixed with the more melodic Departure Songs material made for a more interesting show, probably because I was stone cold sober so needed the change up to keep things interesting lol

Again, still so jealous haha.  I hope someday I can see them play some of those songs, but I fear that will never happen.  So it goes.  Also, being sober for music is wayyyy better in my opinion.  I used to smoke and drink for shows, but I never remember the intricacies that way.  Now, I vastly prefer being sober because when the emotions hit you, they REALLY fucking hit you.  I know you guys think it's weird and lame, but I crave those moments when music makes me cry.  I live for that shit.  Its raw emotion, and I need that feeling in my soul.  It makes me feel alive.  I've had a few close calls with death in my life so far between freak accidents and some other things, and I guess I appreciate that stuff more and I want to feel EVERYTHING.  Like, I remember posting a year or 2 ago about getting home from work after a super long day, and just sitting in my car in my driveway with "Dreamhouse" blasting and having that bridge/outro just take me away and I started tearing up.  Mind you, it's not like... sobbing crying haha.  It's just a welling-up of emotions and you get tears in your eyes because it's fucking powerful and you're feeling it and you're alive and it's amazing.  But I remember Derek commenting on that story and being like "I must be too jaded because crying to music is lame" or something like that.  I can't recall his exact phrases, but it was basically about closing yourself off to such a deep, powerful emotional experience and never allowing it to happen.  Something like that. 

Anyway, have you guys heard this new Pillars album "Of Sea and Salt"?  Everybody on my Facebook groups is freaking out about it, and I must say... it's rather good.  Vinyl available for $24.99

https://pillarstheband.bandcamp.com/

2 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Again, still so jealous haha.  I hope someday I can see them play some of those songs, but I fear that will never happen.  So it goes.  Also, being sober for music is wayyyy better in my opinion.  I used to smoke and drink for shows, but I never remember the intricacies that way.  Now, I vastly prefer being sober because when the emotions hit you, they REALLY fucking hit you.  I know you guys think it's weird and lame, but I crave those moments when music makes me cry.  I live for that shit.  Its raw emotion, and I need that feeling in my soul.  It makes me feel alive.  I've had a few close calls with death in my life so far between freak accidents and some other things, and I guess I appreciate that stuff more and I want to feel EVERYTHING.  Like, I remember posting a year or 2 ago about getting home from work after a super long day, and just sitting in my car in my driveway with "Dreamhouse" blasting and having that bridge/outro just take me away and I started tearing up.  Mind you, it's not like... sobbing crying haha.  It's just a welling-up of emotions and you get tears in your eyes because it's fucking powerful and you're feeling it and you're alive and it's amazing.  But I remember Derek commenting on that story and being like "I must be too jaded because crying to music is lame" or something like that.  I can't recall his exact phrases, but it was basically about closing yourself off to such a deep, powerful emotional experience and never allowing it to happen.  Something like that. 

Anyway, have you guys heard this new Pillars album "Of Sea and Salt"?  Everybody on my Facebook groups is freaking out about it, and I must say... it's rather good.  Vinyl available for $24.99

I think it's cool to see people get so wrapped up in a performance it gets them emotional.  I'm not one to cry but I remember getting them feels during This Patch of Sky's set at Dunk.  Time Destroys Everything & Bella Muerte were pretty overwhelming live.  Caspian's Asa is one of those songs, too.  If I ever get to see Castles High I'm sure it'll fall into that category.  The Audiotree filmed concert version of Castles on You Tube is stunning.  

20 minutes ago, mrewest said:

I think it's cool to see people get so wrapped up in a performance it gets them emotional.  I'm not one to cry but I remember getting them feels during This Patch of Sky's set at Dunk.  Time Destroys Everything & Bella Muerte were pretty overwhelming live.  Caspian's Asa is one of those songs, too.  If I ever get to see Castles High I'm sure it'll fall into that category.  The Audiotree filmed concert version of Castles on You Tube is stunning.  

At first I was like "WAIT, Caspian "Castles" Audiotree!?!?!" and then I checked and it was the show they streamed from that tour.  Man, that one STILL hurts.  I had tickets to Boston and didn't make it due to accidents and traffic on I-90.  I feel like that was my one shot to see "Waking Season" and "Sad Heart of Mine".  So it goes.  Seeing "Castles High" live must be fucking titanic though.  Thanks for the heads up on this video... this is great.  It's SO much heavier than the studio version, which is pretty heavy in it's own right.  This is just so chunky! 

But yeah man.  I mean, I don't know if you can call it crying really... it's just that welling-up choked up feeling that you get when shit is heavy, like at funerals or weddings or soldier homecomings or whenever you see beautiful awesome shit.  Your eyes well up with tears and your nose gets sniffly and you can't talk because you're holding your breath. 

That TPOS set was pretty fucking rad though.  Bella Muerte to close was a great choice.  It seems that that drummer is now officially in the band too.  Interesting that she doesn't play with a hi-hat! 

3 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Listened in full on YouTube through the wherepostrockdwells station. I enjoyed it. Very much a 'play-it-safe' record, but the production was good and there was enough there that I would listen again. Probably not worth $30 for the vinyl, though.

Just now, omik11303 said:

Listened in full on YouTube through the wherepostrockdwells station. I enjoyed it. Very much a 'play-it-safe' record, but the production was good and there was enough there that I would listen again. Probably not worth $30 for the vinyl, though.

Yeah....  that was pretty much exactly my feeling.  If you listen closely you'll hear them borrow the theme from "Not My Blood" by Gates in the title track, I believe it is.  Very good stuff, and I would likely buy it if the record was $20ppd.  I'd absolutely love to have it, because it's very good, but.... eh. 

33 minutes ago, mrewest said:

Okay so perfect example, because you brought up Caspian:  after watching the Castles High video, it cued up "Gone in Bloom and Bough" from the Larcom DVD and I'm watching it, and then I see the big sign hung across the balcony saying "Thank you for 10 years".  That kind of shit makes me tear up, and I fucking love that feeling.  It's just so beautiful and pure and it's just love and light between the band and audience and it's fantastic.  Plus the song is sick haha

8 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Yeah....  that was pretty much exactly my feeling.  If you listen closely you'll hear them borrow the theme from "Not My Blood" by Gates in the title track, I believe it is.  Very good stuff, and I would likely buy it if the record was $20ppd.  I'd absolutely love to have it, because it's very good, but.... eh. 

Okay so perfect example, because you brought up Caspian:  after watching the Castles High video, it cued up "Gone in Bloom and Bough" from the Larcom DVD and I'm watching it, and then I see the big sign hung across the balcony saying "Thank you for 10 years".  That kind of shit makes me tear up, and I fucking love that feeling.  It's just so beautiful and pure and it's just love and light between the band and audience and it's fantastic.  Plus the song is sick haha

Right on.  Pretty much anything live-Caspian related is emotional shit haha.  That Larcom show will always be one of my "If I could go to any past concert" shows.  Especially considering they closed with Castles!  (then called "Joy")

On 12/11/2017 at 1:39 PM, deafening said:

Post-rock wise...(outfitted with bandcamp links)

FAVORITES: Astralia - Solstice | Æris - Astra | Gullwing - S/T | Hubris - Apocryphal Gravity

RUNNERS-UP: Heron - You Are Here Now | Shipwrecks - S/T | I/O - Anyone, Anywhere | L'Effondras - Les Flavescences

SLEEPERS: November Might be Fine - South | Da Voile - Heitt Hjortu | Enoch - Bog | GlerAkur - The Mountains are Beautiful Now

JUST FLAT-OUT GOOD: Balmorhea - Clear Language | Ranges - The Ascensionist | Sannhet - So Numb | Glacier - Though Your Sins...

WORTH A LISTEN: The Last Sighs of the Wind - We Are Trees | Driftless - Still | Ghost Island - Assimilation

DISAPPOINTING: Oiseaux-Tempête - Al-'An!... | GY!BE - Luciferan Towers | To Destroy A City - Go Mirage
ONLY HEARD ONCE/NEED TO REVISIT: Silent Whale Becomes a Dream - Requiem | Hammock - Mysterium | Icor - S/T | BLAK - Between Darkness and Light

(There are quite a bit more in that last category, too, but for brevity's sake I'll cap it there)

Edited by omik11303