Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion v.2.0

1 hour ago, mrewest said:

I think if by some miracle I get to see Glories perform any of There Is No Stillness I might turn into a weeping fetus haha.

I have to give this album more credit.  It's got a great atmosphere.  Also, we have to also consider the context of them playing any of this.  I wonder if they even play shows any longer after the accident :\

2 minutes ago, omik11303 said:

Post-rock wise...(outfitted with bandcamp links)

FAVORITES: Astralia - Solstice | Æris - Astra | Gullwing - S/T | Hubris - Apocryphal Gravity

RUNNERS-UP: Heron - You Are Here Now | Shipwrecks - S/T | I/O - Anyone, Anywhere | L'Effondras - Les Flavescences

SLEEPERS: November Might be Fine - South | Da Voile - Heitt Hjortu | Enoch - Bog | GlerAkur - The Mountains are Beautiful Now

JUST FLAT-OUT GOOD: Balmorhea - Clear Language | Ranges - The Ascensionist | Sannhet - So Numb | Glacier - Though Your Sins...

WORTH A LISTEN: The Last Sighs of the Wind - We Are Trees | Driftless - Still | Ghost Island - Assimilation

DISAPPOINTING: Oiseaux-Tempête - Al-'An!... | GY!BE - Luciferan Towers | To Destroy A City - Go Mirage
ONLY HEARD ONCE/NEED TO REVISIT: Silent Whale Becomes a Dream - Requiem | Hammock - Mysterium | Icor - S/T | BLAK - Between Darkness and Light

(There are quite a bit more in that last category, too, but for brevity's sake I'll cap it there)

I'm glad you included Aeris because Astra is absolutely fantastic and I feel like they have flown under everybody's radar.  Truly a shame, that material is so great.  Also glad to see you giving Shipwrecks some love!  That album is fucking great, I've only spun it once but man... it hooked me on the first play. 

Curious about your disappointment with the new Godspeed.  Can you elaborate a bit on that? 

And let me tell you, when the new Silent Whale album finally clicks....  dude.  Un-fucking-believable.  I might have to give this the tops of the year for me.  It's just SO heavy.  So deep.  Nobody else touches them for emotional intensity for me.  It's like, straight to the source.  God-level.  Something.  I don't even know how to articulate it.  BLAK is very good too. 

I need to check out that To Destroy A City album because I thought Sunless was a very good album. 

2 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I'm glad you included Aeris because Astra is absolutely fantastic and I feel like they have flown under everybody's radar.  Truly a shame, that material is so great.  Also glad to see you giving Shipwrecks some love!  That album is fucking great, I've only spun it once but man... it hooked me on the first play. 

Curious about your disappointment with the new Godspeed.  Can you elaborate a bit on that? 

And let me tell you, when the new Silent Whale album finally clicks....  dude.  Un-fucking-believable.  I might have to give this the tops of the year for me.  It's just SO heavy.  So deep.  Nobody else touches them for emotional intensity for me.  It's like, straight to the source.  God-level.  Something.  I don't even know how to articulate it.  BLAK is very good too. 

I need to check out that To Destroy A City album because I thought Sunless was a very good album. 

I loved Aeris's EP and then they somehow managed to top even that with the LP (both in the same year, too!). Definitely a great band and one to keep an eye on. Shipwrecks also extremely good and one that I only recently started listening to - gonna be tough to go without that vinyl but I can't justify the costs from A1KA. I think C.J.'s doing a phenomenal job over there but $20 per LP and $30+ for doubles is brutal, especially since most of the time I'd be buying multiple records (yes, I know import fees are being taken into account but I'd rather go the long way through IFB and Dingleberry and save $5+ per record, even if it's more of a hassle).

Godspeed I went into with pretty low expectations, since I thought Asunder was pretty awful, if I'm being honest. I think Luciferan Towers is much better, but it still sounds so uniform and empty without the samples and the orchestral bits are just all over the place, and not in the good way that characterized their earlier work. I'm sure I'm just being stubborn, but that's at least part of my rationale.

I'll be revisiting the Silent Whale album over the next few days. If there's one band I think you should check out, Gumbo, it's Gullwing. Completely blew me away. Just so solid all around. I'm sure you'd find a lot to love about it.

11 minutes ago, omik11303 said:

I loved Aeris's EP and then they somehow managed to top even that with the LP (both in the same year, too!). Definitely a great band and one to keep an eye on. Shipwrecks also extremely good and one that I only recently started listening to - gonna be tough to go without that vinyl but I can't justify the costs from A1KA. I think C.J.'s doing a phenomenal job over there but $20 per LP and $30+ for doubles is brutal, especially since most of the time I'd be buying multiple records (yes, I know import fees are being taken into account but I'd rather go the long way through IFB and Dingleberry and save $5+ per record, even if it's more of a hassle).

Godspeed I went into with pretty low expectations, since I thought Asunder was pretty awful, if I'm being honest. I think Luciferan Towers is much better, but it still sounds so uniform and empty without the samples and the orchestral bits are just all over the place, and not in the good way that characterized their earlier work. I'm sure I'm just being stubborn, but that's at least part of my rationale.

I'll be revisiting the Silent Whale album over the next few days. If there's one band I think you should check out, Gumbo, it's Gullwing. Completely blew me away. Just so solid all around. I'm sure you'd find a lot to love about it.

Right on, I feel the pain with the imports from A Thousand Arms.  It is what it is, I guess.  I get what I can, when I can.  I know they aren't raking in the cash over there... they make enough to get by, and are doing it for the love of the music and spreading it around to all of us. 

The Godspeed record I actually love, but I'm sure some of that is colored by my experience of the songs live before the album came out; those memories are tied in with the material on the record.  I still think it's great; nothing they've done is outright bad in my opinion.  Music is never really bad anyway...  music in and of itself is a beautiful thing.  Some is just better than others. 

The Silent Whale is deep, man.  You'll need probably a couple listens to let it all soak in.  But make sure you pay close attention to the final track.  I'm not sure there's a more powerful post-rock song released all year.  It's just.... so heavy.  It floats on this hypnotic bassline and then the ending, these siren drones that come streaking in....  mannnn.  It's just so powerful! 

Also I'll check that band out!  I've definitely never heard of them before. 

2 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I have to give this album more credit.  It's got a great atmosphere.  Also, we have to also consider the context of them playing any of this.  I wonder if they even play shows any longer after the accident :\

It's one of my favorite post-rock albums in a while.  And yeah that's why I said "by some miracle".  The context of what happened makes this album hit me even more though.  The whole thing already sounded really emotional.

2 hours ago, omik11303 said:

FAVORITES: Astralia - Solstice | Æris - Astra | Gullwing - S/T | Hubris - Apocryphal Gravity

RUNNERS-UP: Heron - You Are Here Now | Shipwrecks - S/T | I/O - Anyone, Anywhere | L'Effondras - Les Flavescences

SLEEPERS: November Might be Fine - South | Da Voile - Heitt Hjortu | Enoch - Bog | GlerAkur - The Mountains are Beautiful Now

JUST FLAT-OUT GOOD: Balmorhea - Clear Language | Ranges - The Ascensionist | Sannhet - So Numb | Glacier - Though Your Sins...

WORTH A LISTEN: The Last Sighs of the Wind - We Are Trees | Driftless - Still | Ghost Island - Assimilation

DISAPPOINTING: Oiseaux-Tempête - Al-'An!... | GY!BE - Luciferan Towers | To Destroy A City - Go Mirage
ONLY HEARD ONCE/NEED TO REVISIT: Silent Whale Becomes a Dream - Requiem | Hammock - Mysterium | Icor - S/T | BLAK - Between Darkness and Light

(There are quite a bit more in that last category, too, but for brevity's sake I'll cap it there)

Wow a lot there I gotta check out!  I think I have the opposite thoughts on GYBE as a whole haha.  I know people seem to not like how "accessible" it is, but that's why I love it.

Post Rock/Metal I enjoyed this year:

Sannhet - So Numb
Silent Whale Becomes a Dream - Requiem
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Luciferian Towers
Appalaches - Cycles
Astralia - Solstice
Outlander - Downtime b/w Plans
This Patch of Sky - These Small Spaces
And So I Watch You From Afar - The Endless Shimmering
Ranges - The Ascensionist
Rosetta - Utopioid
Glacier - Though Your Sins Be As Scarlet, They Shall Be White As Snow; Though They Be Red Like Crimson, They Shall Be As Wool
Blak - Between Darkness and Light
Frequency Eater - Finite States
Do Make Say Think - Stubborn Persistent Illusions
My Education - Schipol
Set and Setting - Reflectionless
Shy, Low - Burning Day EP
Balmorhea - Clear Language
Mogwai - Every Country's Sun

On 12/19/2017 at 9:09 AM, omik11303 said:

I really like that Gullwing record. Superficially, I don't particularly care for the name. 

New Toundra this year? I'm pretty stoked for that too!

On 12/18/2017 at 5:33 PM, omik11303 said:

If there's one band I think you should check out, Gumbo, it's Gullwing. Completely blew me away. Just so solid all around. I'm sure you'd find a lot to love about it.

So that Gullwing stuff is pretty fucking awesome!  It almost gets like...  kind of metal-ish with some of the riffs at points.  It made me think of In Flames just with the chuggy riff action in the 2nd song.  I gotta listen to that more, but I loved the soaring sustained lead action over top everything. 

On 12/18/2017 at 8:00 PM, mrewest said:

Wow a lot there I gotta check out!  I think I have the opposite thoughts on GYBE as a whole haha.  I know people seem to not like how "accessible" it is, but that's why I love it.

Exactly my thoughts on this.  It's straight-to-the-point Godspeed.  Whether that's because they've honed their craft to get to the meat and potatoes of what makes their sound "Their sound" to them vs. it being a conscious effort to economize their sound and make it more accessible is anybody's guess.  But I love it. 

It's funny too because as I was listening, I had a couple notions.  First, that "Luciferian Towers" could have gone on for at least a few more minutes.  I was not ready for that track to end.  And then also, as I was getting through Fam/Famine and into "Anthem For No State" I was feeling "Man, they really need to pick it up and drop another banger here" the way that Bosses Hang ends with a crushing finale, and then they delivered.  So I thought the pace was good, because right where I was feeling they needed to get out of the ambient waters and have some crushing drums again, they delivered. 

I think these guys into the post-metal category 

THE OCEAN – “Precambrian” 3xLP – 10th anniversary edition

• 3 LPs in 3 different vinyl colour style

• same packaging as the original ltd. edition: gatefold with an extra thick spine, diecut holes, special metallic inks, UV spot gloss varnish

• printed inner sleeves, 2 inlays

https://pelagic-records.com/product/the-ocean-precambrian-3xlp-10th-anniversary-edition/

1 minute ago, MayCauseDeath said:

I think these guys into the post-metal category 

THE OCEAN – “Precambrian” 3xLP – 10th anniversary edition

• 3 LPs in 3 different vinyl colour style

• same packaging as the original ltd. edition: gatefold with an extra thick spine, diecut holes, special metallic inks, UV spot gloss varnish

• printed inner sleeves, 2 inlays

https://pelagic-records.com/product/the-ocean-precambrian-3xlp-10th-anniversary-edition/

I've tried so many times to get into them.... I'll try again haha.  My initial feeling was that they were almost like death/black metal and I just wasn't feeling it.  Where should I start with them? 

6 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I've tried so many times to get into them.... I'll try again haha.  My initial feeling was that they were almost like death/black metal and I just wasn't feeling it.  Where should I start with them? 

start with their most recent from the begining, its an amazing ALBUM AOY for me previously https://theocean.bandcamp.com/album/pelagial this and their past 2 albums have the same singer and its more post metal in vein of cult of lunaish. Thier older album listed above and the aolean and fluxion albums use multiple different singers and are more metal, but still have a bunch of post metal influx. 

Edited by MayCauseDeath

Another new one in before the buzzer!  You guys have to check this band out.

Teller - Strive Recess Echo

https://tellerswe.bandcamp.com/album/strive-recess-echo

They go between major key and dark stuff really well... uplifting in a way like Pray For Sound.  @mrewest i think this is up your alley because you like Glories so much. 

On 12/22/2017 at 5:18 PM, MayCauseDeath said:

start with their most recent from the begining, its an amazing ALBUM AOY for me previously https://theocean.bandcamp.com/album/pelagial this and their past 2 albums have the same singer and its more post metal in vein of cult of lunaish. Thier older album listed above and the aolean and fluxion albums use multiple different singers and are more metal, but still have a bunch of post metal influx. 

Checking this out now....  this is not at all what I thought they sounded like lol.  They remind me a lot of Opeth actually. 

EDIT:  Oh wait there it is haha.  The metalcore comes out big time at the end of Epipelagic lol. 

Edited by Gumbo72203

On 12/25/2017 at 10:39 AM, Gumbo72203 said:

Another new one in before the buzzer!  You guys have to check this band out.

Teller - Strive Recess Echo

https://tellerswe.bandcamp.com/album/strive-recess-echo

They go between major key and dark stuff really well... uplifting in a way like Pray For Sound.  @mrewest i think this is up your alley because you like Glories so much. 

Checking this out now....  this is not at all what I thought they sounded like lol.  They remind me a lot of Opeth actually. 

EDIT:  Oh wait there it is haha.  The metalcore comes out big time at the end of Epipelagic lol. 

Just made my way through Teller.  I appreciate the suggestion but it did nothing for me unfortunately.  I definitely hear the Pray For Sound comparison, & a hint of Glories, but with hardly any interesting moments imo.  Everything seems to be 4/4 with almost strictly straight quarter note melodies & the drums are beyond bland.  It finally picked up a bit towards the end of Ridge & Furrow, but not enough to really wanna revisit.  I feel like if I wanna listen to Teller, I’d rather put on Pray For Sound who is a lot better, but still not in the same realm as Glories.  So in short, I’d rather skip Teller & Pray For Sound & go right to Glories haha.  

Hey guys, in case you don't all see the other threads, I am doing a group-buy for Elusive Sound for the deluxe BLAK album and the limited /30 Show Me A Dinosaur repress.  We've got 6 people so far, and if i can get 2 more our Euro shipping will drop down to almost 7euro per person.  The BLAK will likely go within hours, and the Dino will be gone instantly, but I can reserve copies for us, so let me know!

PM me for album prices, as they have not gone live yet so I can't post them publicly :) 

Ok so let's pretend for a second that this isn't one of the worst band names you can have and instead focus on the fact that I just found this on Spotify and saw there is quite an extensive catalogue on Bandcamp.  I've only listened to 3 songs, but I dig it.  I feel like this has Gumbo written all over it.  What I hear seems to lie somewhere between Silent Whale, Fourteen Nights at Sea, and maybe Appalaches?  I dunno.  Hard to pinpoint it. 

I'd say start with the most recent release and go from there.  That's what I've heard so far (plus one other random song).

https://sadnessmusic.bandcamp.com/

3 hours ago, mrewest said:

Ok so let's pretend for a second that this isn't one of the worst band names you can have and instead focus on the fact that I just found this on Spotify and saw there is quite an extensive catalogue on Bandcamp.  I've only listened to 3 songs, but I dig it.  I feel like this has Gumbo written all over it.  What I hear seems to lie somewhere between Silent Whale, Fourteen Nights at Sea, and maybe Appalaches?  I dunno.  Hard to pinpoint it. 

I'd say start with the most recent release and go from there.  That's what I've heard so far (plus one other random song).

https://sadnessmusic.bandcamp.com/

lol....  Sadness.  OKAY.  hahaha. 

This is good stuff though!  It makes me almost think of Xasthur and other depressive black metal stuff with those vocals.  Their track "Vivify" is pretty neat, it's on a split with Violet Cold, SMAD, etc. 

• 2 weeks later...

Coming in early for what is definitely a contender for tops of 2018, a debut project from the UK.  This band/album was produced and helped out by dudes from Coastlands.  It is *much* better than Coastlands IMO.  Definitely give this a spin, this stuff is really fucking good.  It mixes the slow-build, low-dynamic style of S/T by TWDY or This Patch of Sky with soaring melodies and crushing guitar peaks, a tactic we have heard many times before.  Pretty "traditional" as far as style goes, but man this stuff is really well-done.  The sense of melody is very strong and the songs remain interesting, something which is very difficult with this style of slow-burn post-rock.  The "chill" parts of these songs are fresh and engaging for me, and they never drag out longer than necessary. 

I strongly urge all of you to check this out, I think all of us here are going to really dig this. 

https://thesunburnsbright.bandcamp.com/releases