Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion v.2.0

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

new Degree of Arc is coming!!!!!!!!!!!!   

I thought this band was dunzo.  They just happened to post the new album announcement the other day.  One song is available to listen to right now, and you should check it out.  And if you aren't familiar with them, go back and check out "Reverie & Entropy" which I think is one of the most under-rated post-rock albums.  Everything they've done is wonderful, but my favorite song might still be "Can You See The Horizon?" off of their debut EP "Circles". 

https://degreeofarc.bandcamp.com/album/raptures

Cloudkicker Discovery & EPs represses are up for preorder.  Had no clue about this until I randomly saw someone talk about it on IG this morning.

https://www.blood-music.com/store-us/mystery/932-abigail-williams-legend-special-edition-lp.html

https://www.blood-music.com/store-us/mystery/931-moonsorrow-voimasta-ja-kunniasta-2xlp-repress.html

EDIT:  Ignore the info in those links.  They actually take you to the Cloudkicker albums.

Edited by mrewest

On 3/16/2018 at 10:38 PM, MayCauseDeath said:

if you guys dont pre order the repress of Mouth of the architect album of the ties that bind i sincerely question all your musical choices

Oh my, this is really good.  I wish I was in time for that oxblood in clear splatter.  I am liking this stuff a lot!  My only qualm is that it's Translation Loss...  Their pressings are typically sub-par. 

But man, this is good stuff!

5 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Oh my, this is really good.  I wish I was in time for that oxblood in clear splatter.  I am liking this stuff a lot!  My only qualm is that it's Translation Loss...  Their pressings are typically sub-par. 

But man, this is good stuff!

Really? I haven't had any issues with their pressings before actually. This album is really good, I have the OG and it sounds great, the repress of their time and withering was amazing. 

5 hours ago, MayCauseDeath said:

Really? I haven't had any issues with their pressings before actually. This album is really good, I have the OG and it sounds great, the repress of their time and withering was amazing. 

There just always is a lot of background noise on their stuff, that's what I mean.  YLVA, WLTS, and now the Rosetta TGS repress (boxset).  I should show you a video of the 50/50 LP1 on TGS.  It sounds like an industrial record....  scrrshhhhh......  scrrrshhhhh....  scrrrshhhhh as the needle passes over the metallic silver part.  Metallic gold (the other half) is dead silent.  And you hear it over the quieter intro parts of Europa and Absent too because the music isn't loud enough to totally cover it, so it's a bit frustrating ;)   The music itself sounds fucking incredible though!

maybe i'll take the chance....  that album is seriously SO good.  I can't believe i'd never listened to it before.  I only have Quietly on CD.  I need more. 

I also listened to the new Degree of Arc songs on headphones today and man, what a different experience!

16 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

There just always is a lot of background noise on their stuff, that's what I mean.  YLVA, WLTS, and now the Rosetta TGS repress (boxset).  I should show you a video of the 50/50 LP1 on TGS.  It sounds like an industrial record....  scrrshhhhh......  scrrrshhhhh....  scrrrshhhhh as the needle passes over the metallic silver part.  Metallic gold (the other half) is dead silent.  And you hear it over the quieter intro parts of Europa and Absent too because the music isn't loud enough to totally cover it, so it's a bit frustrating ;)   The music itself sounds fucking incredible though!

maybe i'll take the chance....  that album is seriously SO good.  I can't believe i'd never listened to it before.  I only have Quietly on CD.  I need more. 

I also listened to the new Degree of Arc songs on headphones today and man, what a different experience!

i ordered the box set so when i get it i will check and see if its similar to yours. I love the album quietly from them also, quietly and the ties that bind are hard for me to pick a winner because they are both great. I searched for the original pressing forever so trust me this repress is a welcome addition. 

8 minutes ago, MayCauseDeath said:

i ordered the box set so when i get it i will check and see if its similar to yours. I love the album quietly from them also, quietly and the ties that bind are hard for me to pick a winner because they are both great. I searched for the original pressing forever so trust me this repress is a welcome addition. 

Yeah, curious how bad it is for you. 

My friend said Dawning was his favorite so I listened to that today.  I definitely loved the track "How Will This End" because it reminded me more of Ties that Bind.  I may be moved to purchasing this repress, although I'm curious your thoughts on the sonics, comparing the one track we get on Bandcamp right now vs. the original?  I listened yesterday to the original on Youtube and thought it was outstanding... so I'm wondering if it's worth shelling out $40 for a black copy of that?  I only ask because I am not a fan of the Isis remasters of Oceanic and Celestial, I thought those took away a lot of the character of those albums by making them so clean-sounding. 

1 hour ago, Gumbo72203 said:

oO that's strange, do you know why?  Although I suppose this isn't unheard of, seeing as Astralia omitted two tracks from the vinyl press of "Atlas"

No idea why; I just stumbled across the Discogs listing and read a comment about that track being absent, and it rung a bell from your reply just a few posts up.  Figured you'd want a heads up just in case Quietly gets repressed and is still missing it.  I know I'd be pretty disappointed to overlook that detail when ordering.

Anyone see Evpatoria post on Facebook today?  First "update" - cryptic as it may be - since 2015.  Actually less of an update and more of an updated cover photo, but I'll take it.

29541609_1801738469849588_57667351942860

Severely underrated in the world of post-rock, for anyone not in the know.  2005's Golevka blends Yndi Halda + Jakob and has seen plenty of play in my iTunes over the last decade+.  Still absurd to me that it's never been pressed.

3 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Anyone see Evpatoria post on Facebook today?  First "update" - cryptic as it may be - since 2015.  Actually less of an update and more of an updated cover photo, but I'll take it.

29541609_1801738469849588_57667351942860

Severely underrated in the world of post-rock, for anyone not in the know.  2005's Golevka blends Yndi Halda + Jakob and has seen plenty of play in my iTunes over the last decade+.  Still absurd to me that it's never been pressed.

Oh you know I saw this. I'll take anything I can get from these guys. It's no secret that I think Golevka is as close to a perfect album as anything the genre has seen. Whatever is brewing, I'll be all for it.

27 minutes ago, omik11303 said:

Oh you know I saw this. I'll take anything I can get from these guys. It's no secret that I think Golevka is as close to a perfect album as anything the genre has seen. Whatever is brewing, I'll be all for it.

I'm just hoping that a new source of funds - for whatever may be happening - lights enough of a fire under them to get Golevka and Maar finally pressed.

On 3/27/2018 at 4:08 PM, Sasan said:

Just ordered tickets for DUNK! FESTIVAL! yeeehaaa....what a lineup! :wub:

Come say hi ;) 

Also...  just finally spinning the new Man Mountain album.  Listened to the CD in my car on the way to and from school today, and now having it spinning while I work on my homework.  What a fucking great album this is, and the vinyl sounds fantastic.  My smoke copy is a touch noisy, but it's not too bad.  They really hit a homerun with this one.  Elysia is the big sleeper track for me, what a pile of post-rock joy bliss.  And I tell you, Memory Trace can't be played loud enough. 

4 hours ago, Sasan said:

You'll be there again?

Come around...I'm the one running around with RC Shirts only :D

Wouldn't miss it for the world!  Ef, Besides, Jeffk.... and a chance to see Appalaches, Ranges, Rosetta, Caspian, again plus Grails?  It's going to be incredible!  Have you ever been before?  Their production is incredible man.  The light show, the sound.... the vibe... the food... it's really just wonderful. 

Also guys, new music from Ranges out today!  /33 cassette.... almost sold out already.  3 new tracks, and from what I can gather from CJ's cryptic messages, it seems this is a teaser for another new album. 

33 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Wouldn't miss it for the world!  Ef, Besides, Jeffk.... and a chance to see Appalaches, Ranges, Rosetta, Caspian, again plus Grails?  It's going to be incredible!  Have you ever been before?  Their production is incredible man.  The light show, the sound.... the vibe... the food... it's really just wonderful. 

Also guys, new music from Ranges out today!  /33 cassette.... almost sold out already.  3 new tracks, and from what I can gather from CJ's cryptic messages, it seems this is a teaser for another new album. 

No, never managed to go...although it was less than two hours to drive from my parents' place...

But it's probably the last chance in a long time to visit a festival since we're expecting our second boy a few weeks after dunk! (at least I hope he won't show up earlier) :D

When will you fly in? Staying in Europe?

3 minutes ago, Sasan said:

No, never managed to go...although it was less than two hours to drive from my parents' place...

But it's probably the last chance in a long time to visit a festival since we're expecting our second boy a few weeks after dunk! (at least I hope he won't show up earlier) :D

When will you fly in? Staying in Europe?

I'm flying in Wednesday to Amsterdam because we are driving down to see Toundra in Ghent that night before Dunk starts.  We may have some extra space at the house if you need a place to crash, I can talk to CJ! 

10 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

It's in Ghent, which is like....  25 mins away?  It's not very far at all, but it's not like.... RIGHT there.  Send me a PM with your details, maybe we can figure something out

Don’t worry...will be there on the camping spot with two friends. Would eventually  come to your place to say hello...or take a shower :lol:

Edited by Sasan

6 hours ago, Sasan said:

Don’t worry...will be there on the camping spot with two friends. Would eventually  come to your place to say hello...or take a shower :lol:

They have showers on-site!  It's a wonderful setup, you'll see! 

Also, in other news....   it seems that Tetsuya Fukugawa is BACK with Envy, but it seems that 2 other people have left :(

This is the new lineup, as per Facebook:

_Tetsuya Fukagawa
_Nobukata Kawai
_Manabu Nakagawa
_yOshi (killie)   (this guy sings and plays bass in Killie from what I can tell...)
_Yoshimitsu Taki (9mm Parabellum Bullet)    (he plays guitar, piano and sings in this band)
_Hiroki Watanabe (Heaven In Her Arms)     (he plays drums)

So, they lost Masahiro Tobita (guitar) and Dairoku Seki (Drums).  Which is curious because now they have 6 members.  So maybe Envy has two vocalists now, or Tetsuya is not back permanently?  I am stumped here!