Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion v.2.0

10 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Actually that dude might like Long Distance Calling too.....  they're a very riff-centered band. 

Why are you talking about him like he's not here?

Has anyone been listening to the new Toundra? Any opinions out there? I like it, don't like IV very much (I've tried to like it), so I am happy about this one. For full disclosure, I is my favorite by far. 

7 hours ago, pemulis said:

Why are you talking about him like he's not here?

Has anyone been listening to the new Toundra? Any opinions out there? I like it, don't like IV very much (I've tried to like it), so I am happy about this one. For full disclosure, I is my favorite by far. 

Haha just piggybacking off of Don's comment.  Literally meant nothing by it. 

I didn't realize Vortex was released already!  Digging in now. 

8 hours ago, pemulis said:

I listened to it once through the other day. I thought it was more of the same, maybe a step down from IV, but still extremely engaging and worthy of standing up to earlier material. I'm surprised you don't like IV! In the back of my mind I always pegged you and I as having very similar tastes, but I think IV is probably their best, along with II.

9 hours ago, omik11303 said:

I listened to it once through the other day. I thought it was more of the same, maybe a step down from IV, but still extremely engaging and worthy of standing up to earlier material. I'm surprised you don't like IV! In the back of my mind I always pegged you and I as having very similar tastes, but I think IV is probably their best, along with II.

Yeah, we do have similar tastes. I always pay attention when you recommend something, and generally like it. I think IV has a couple of good tunes but it doesn't flow nearly as well as their other records, but I feel like I'm missing something because lots of people love it. I think you are dead on that Vortex is more of the same, but I'm ok with that. I'm not someone that is always looking for bands to find inventive ways to write music. While it can be nice, I find when bands stray into new territory, I lose interest. There are definitely notable exceptions. 

II and III are excellent, but I has that hardcore influence that waned as they matured. Holy hell, some of those riffs are catchy. 

Hi y'all. I came back again, and already spent more money than I meant to on records I didn't know were coming out, so there's that.

Anything exciting happen here while I was away?

EDIT: fucked up & thought I posted this in the SmallTalk thread, so to keep it on-topic...

My dudes in Au Revoir played a sick show about 4 blocks from my house last week, and they ripped it. Best set I've seen them play.

Edited by thebilljim

On 5/10/2018 at 3:20 PM, thebilljim said:

Hi y'all. I came back again, and already spent more money than I meant to on records I didn't know were coming out, so there's that.

Anything exciting happen here while I was away?

EDIT: fucked up & thought I posted this in the SmallTalk thread, so to keep it on-topic...

My dudes in Au Revoir played a sick show about 4 blocks from my house last week, and they ripped it. Best set I've seen them play.

They just killed it the other day over here at Dunk!  They played Sundowning, Repose, and one other single before playing all of Veles in it's entirety.  It was fucking sweet.  Only the 2nd time they've ever played the whole record.  

Emin from Azerbaijan (Violet Cold) has cranked out a Trilogy, Sommermorgen: Innocence, Joy, and Nostalgia, which is up on bandcamp now.  It's a progression /slight divergence in direction from his previous material. I hear no black metallish elements whatsoever until the end of III with just a little blasteating going on. Happened to listen backwards, III, II, then I -- then in proper order.

FFO lots of reverb, delay, major chords and uplifting mood, some ambient postrock like earrly Hammock  in the first two, chirping birds, etc. with occasional bursts -- and then by III we're getting some more intensity. Just a great listen all the way through while doing paperwork. I don't know if I'd be requesting vinyl, but I know I will continue to visit III. (I'd buy a tape to go with my Magic Night cassette *cough, cough*) ;)

I guess that's why I posted. Didn't picture him going in this direction, and while not epic/game-changing, etc. the world seems to a better place with this release.

Violet Cold Trilogy

13 hours ago, drds89 said:

The remastering of this sounds great; the live feed was good too but they kill it with the new mix/master. 

17 minutes ago, Sasan said:

So ridiculously good! Was great to finally see these guys live last weekend!

Right?  That was an intense set for me....  Rosetta does things to me emotionally that no other band really does.  I'm not sure why.  It must be the unhinged power and emotion coming out of Armines voice, combined with his brilliant lyrics and the spacey atmospheric guitars overlaid upon the crushing grooves. 

Also, I spoke with him after the set for a good while about the music.  I asked him if there was ever a situation in which they'd play TGS material again, and he said that Roadburn actually asked them to do a TGS set and they agreed.  But then Roadburn was like "Yeahhhhh but we can't pay you to come over here."  He said it would take them 6 months to get the material back to being ready, and that since Roadburn didn't want to cover their flights or anything, he told them to fuck off haha.  Dude is hilarious. 

HOWEVER, he did say that they've talked about re-learning one or two songs at a time, and randomly slipping them into sets here and there, unannounced.  Time to never miss another Rosetta show again I guess :D  

2 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

The remastering of this sounds great; the live feed was good too but they kill it with the new mix/master. 

Right?  That was an intense set for me....  Rosetta does things to me emotionally that no other band really does.  I'm not sure why.  It must be the unhinged power and emotion coming out of Armines voice, combined with his brilliant lyrics and the spacey atmospheric guitars overlaid upon the crushing grooves. 

Also, I spoke with him after the set for a good while about the music.  I asked him if there was ever a situation in which they'd play TGS material again, and he said that Roadburn actually asked them to do a TGS set and they agreed.  But then Roadburn was like "Yeahhhhh but we can't pay you to come over here."  He said it would take them 6 months to get the material back to being ready, and that since Roadburn didn't want to cover their flights or anything, he told them to fuck off haha.  Dude is hilarious. 

HOWEVER, he did say that they've talked about re-learning one or two songs at a time, and randomly slipping them into sets here and there, unannounced.  Time to never miss another Rosetta show again I guess :D  

Awesome news! Looking forward to seeing a headline show of them some time here in Germany   

They were one of my favorite acts on dunk beside RC (obviously), ef and Wyatt E. 

Was nice meeting you, Gumbo...finally made me forget all prejudices I had about you :D 

5 hours ago, Sasan said:

Awesome news! Looking forward to seeing a headline show of them some time here in Germany   

They were one of my favorite acts on dunk beside RC (obviously), ef and Wyatt E. 

Was nice meeting you, Gumbo...finally made me forget all prejudices I had about you :D 

Wyatt E was maybe my favorite surprise discovery of the festival.  That set was incredible.  Also, it was great meeting you too bud!  I hope I lived up somewhat to my storied reputation haha. 

6 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Wyatt E was maybe my favorite surprise discovery of the festival.  That set was incredible.  Also, it was great meeting you too bud!  I hope I lived up somewhat to my storied reputation haha. 

Yeah, their orient doom approach was fantastic!

haha, thankfully, you’re not as nerdy in real life as on this board :lol: my impression from the few minutes we’ve got to talk...:lol:

Not sure how many people have already seen this, but I Hear Sirens is pressing their S/T EP for its 10th anniversary. One of the most solid post-rock bands ever in my opinion - for some reason they just never made it big. Hopefully this means that we'll see a press of Beyond the Sea... before too long.

https://www.whiskeyandwaxrecords.com/store/*PRE-ORDER*-I-Hear-Sirens-EP-10th-Anniversary-Edition-p104993959

2 hours ago, omik11303 said:

Not sure how many people have already seen this, but I Hear Sirens is pressing their S/T EP for its 10th anniversary. One of the most solid post-rock bands ever in my opinion - for some reason they just never made it big. Hopefully this means that we'll see a press of Beyond the Sea... before too long.

https://www.whiskeyandwaxrecords.com/store/*PRE-ORDER*-I-Hear-Sirens-EP-10th-Anniversary-Edition-p104993959

My buddy just showed me them finally, and has been raving about them for years.  I've listened to this EP like 5 times now since coming back from Dunk.  Was going to make a thread about it last night but never got around to it.  These guys are fantastic.  I love the use of piano, and the vocals on track 3 are wonderful.  The last track is without question my favorite though. 

In other news, This Patch of Sky has made it big in the Far East!  Their music was featured in a McDonalds ad! 

• 2 weeks later...

Tangled Thoughts Of Leaving has a new album, "No Tether." Can't link bandcamp at work due to Barracuda filter. The track they put up is quite mathy - more syncopation than time sig changes, but pleasantly surprised to hear they've developed some chops along with excellent songwriting.

One of a dozen Aus/NZ bands in my "can't live without/always check out" list. They are from the west (Perth). Tend to be on the darker side, but very, very talented. Can't wait to hear the rest of it.

edit for linkage: TTOL: No Tether

Australia and NZ have produced a dozen or more of my favorite bands/artists.

Edited by drds89

Been following these guys on twitter since their debut in 2014. I think some here will like them, and they even have vinyl, which is shocking. Instrumental rock/postrock with  mathiness on some tracks to keep things interesting. LP is priced right at 12 euros, but shipping from Italy kills it (>$17)

The Singer Is Dead: \\

Just in case you guys don't check the new Deafheaven album thread, I'm doing a group buy for the 2xLP EU 180g trans green/black smoke variant.  If one of you joins up, its only 32.50 total (including all shipping).  We get a nice break.  Just wanted to throw that out here because people keep saying they're in, I calculate costs, get money from some people, and then they bail which goofs the price breakdown. 

https://eu.kingsroadmerch.com/deafheaven/view/?id=12445&cid=2809

Let me know!  Its up to 4 people total, and a 5th would be great so I don't have to eat the few extra dollars from having a couple people not answering now/backing out. 

Holy fuck.  All of you, listen to this right now.  Full stop. 

https://theoutsider.bandcamp.com/album/beauty-awakens-the-soul-to-act

Aratare followed by The Universe Divide is such a satisfying combo, but every song on this is just drop-dead killer.  @mrewest you especially I think will like this.  Lots of influences here.  Just listen. 

On 6/8/2018 at 2:15 PM, Gumbo72203 said:

Holy fuck.  All of you, listen to this right now.  Full stop. 

https://theoutsider.bandcamp.com/album/beauty-awakens-the-soul-to-act

Aratare followed by The Universe Divide is such a satisfying combo, but every song on this is just drop-dead killer.  @mrewest you especially I think will like this.  Lots of influences here.  Just listen. 

Missed this post.  Will check out asap!

This is really good. One of very few post-rock/post-metal releases that have caught my attention recently. Double vinyl from EU at ~$28ppd not too bad either.

FFO: Ashbringer, Braveyoung, Light Bearer

https://ingrina.bandcamp.com/album/etter-lys

Edited by omik11303