Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion v.2.0

8 hours ago, drds89 said:

Going to check this Owen ^^^

Big question is..... did Gumbo get his dream come true ISIS reunion ticket? 

@Gumbo72203

Do you even have to ask?  I had a team in place as I was busy teaching today and couldn't access a computer at 1pm EST.  :P

Not the greatest way for me to get to see them but...  so it goes.  Real curious about set-length given that they aren't headlining and how that impacts the setlist.  Also... will they sound good?  So many questions. 

I hope I see some of you there. 

On 6/13/2018 at 12:34 PM, omik11303 said:

This is really good. One of very few post-rock/post-metal releases that have caught my attention recently. Double vinyl from EU at ~$28ppd not too bad either.

FFO: Ashbringer, Braveyoung, Light Bearer

https://ingrina.bandcamp.com/album/etter-lys

Wow this is REALLY good. Have been listening regularly over the past few days. 

On 6/17/2018 at 9:31 AM, wisdom81 said:

Wow this is REALLY good. Have been listening regularly over the past few days. 

Agreed, they have melded a lot of different sounds in there that sound familiar but new at the same time.

Regarding Toudra: Vortex -- anyone here have it on vinyl yet, and how does it sound? (Black, Orange or Pink?)

2 hours ago, drds89 said:

Agreed, they have melded a lot of different sounds in there that sound familiar but new at the same time.

Regarding Toudra: Vortex -- anyone here have it on vinyl yet, and how does it sound? (Black, Orange or Pink?)

Hahaha was actually listening to Toundra (digitally) just now.

Still waiting on my copy (as well as Spurv) from Amazon.ca. I'll let you know how that sounds once I get it.

2 hours ago, wisdom81 said:

Still waiting on my copy (as well as Spurv) from Amazon.ca. I'll let you know how that sounds once I get it.

Nice heads up on getting Spurv from Canada. Ended up being $3US cheaper than ordering from the states, even with shipping. 

7 hours ago, drds89 said:

I have the black version picked up from their show in Belgium.  I can confirm it sounds fucking fantastic.  Get it.  It also comes with a CD, and comes in a poly-lined inner sleeve. 

Easily my favorite record of theirs now, if a little on the short side.  Some of the songs feel like they could have been developed further, as they are quite short.  Still, this album is incredible and the material is just tremendous live.  What a band. 

4 hours ago, wisdom81 said:

I haven't spun my Spurv yet...  but the pressing looks great!  I just checked that link and man, you guys got a fucking deal on that price.  Wow.  I'm glad I supported the band, but holy crap that is cheap.  Funny that Amazon.ca has it but not in the US.  Very curious!

On 6/8/2018 at 8:15 PM, Gumbo72203 said:

Holy fuck.  All of you, listen to this right now.  Full stop. 

https://theoutsider.bandcamp.com/album/beauty-awakens-the-soul-to-act

Aratare followed by The Universe Divide is such a satisfying combo, but every song on this is just drop-dead killer.  @mrewest you especially I think will like this.  Lots of influences here.  Just listen. 

Hey man, thanks for sharing my music, I'm very happy you liked it! 
Thank you very much @Gumbo72203

Edited by The Outsider

15 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I have the black version picked up from their show in Belgium.  I can confirm it sounds fucking fantastic.  Get it.  It also comes with a CD, and comes in a poly-lined inner sleeve. 

Easily my favorite record of theirs now, if a little on the short side.  Some of the songs feel like they could have been developed further, as they are quite short.  Still, this album is incredible and the material is just tremendous live.  What a band. 

I'm digging it so far, more of their original sound as of III. About 50% of IV I like, but where they experimented on that album- nothing wrong with that - they just lost me. I didn't feel the progressive Kitsune 'theme' or concept with IV at all. 

For me III > II > I = Vortex >> IV.  Those who were late to the party and heard IV first, I can understand, no problem, it's all subjective.

And sometimes it's good to be late to the party on a band. I have and still am doing that all the time, so perceptions are different than when you're on board from the beginning.

Just look at Russian Circles fans - some are STILL waiting for them to write Enter, part II or the sequel  --- and it's not going to happen. So everything since then to them has sucked, and Station collected dust on shelves for several years before new blood came in at Geneva and saw their brilliance beyond Enter.

7 hours ago, drds89 said:

I'm digging it so far, more of their original sound as of III. About 50% of IV I like, but where they experimented on that album- nothing wrong with that - they just lost me. I didn't feel the progressive Kitsune 'theme' or concept with IV at all. 

For me III > II > I = Vortex >> IV.  Those who were late to the party and heard IV first, I can understand, no problem, it's all subjective.

And sometimes it's good to be late to the party on a band. I have and still am doing that all the time, so perceptions are different than when you're on board from the beginning.

Just look at Russian Circles fans - some are STILL waiting for them to write Enter, part II or the sequel  --- and it's not going to happen. So everything since then to them has sucked, and Station collected dust on shelves for several years before new blood came in at Geneva and saw their brilliance beyond Enter.

Interesting, yeah I didn't find IV as engaging, and I always thought that was their "big" album.  I enjoy it well enough, but man...  Vortex is just killer.  Seeing some of the other songs live too before listening to all of the album was great as well. 

I went back and listened to "I" though the other day, because I seem to recall people always saying it was very different and more metalcore almost or something.  It may have been the first time I actually listened to it as well, I'm not sure.  Regardless, the song "Genesis" is fucking incredible and may be my favorite song of theirs. 

Their setlist was as follows:

Cobra

Tuareg

Kitsune

Bizancio

Kingston Falls

Mojave (pretty sure this was played earlier though)

Cielo Negro

Marte is on the setlist I got, but it is crossed off; I can't recall if it was played or not. 

EDIT:

Because i know you guys might be interested, here's EF's setlist too.  They played a new song.  It was incredible.  That band is the best thing. 

Bear

11 Shots and a sudden death (from the split with Vayu)

Yield Heart Yield

Final Touch

Lake Vaettern

Dalen

I think Yield and Final Touch were flipped... the band mentioned two songs being flipped and I just don't remember right now.  Nothing from "Mourning Golden Mourning" was a bit of a bummer as that album has grown an awful lot on me (Longing For Colors!) but their set, again...  man.  Highlight of the festival, without question.  That band is in another tier.  I wish you guys could all see them. 

Edited by Gumbo72203

1 hour ago, wisdom81 said:

New Film in Color is out. 

Listening to it right now and sounding very good. 

If you're into Tunnel Blanket era TWDY, this is for you. 

A Film in Color - They March in Endless Circles

Waiting for my vinyl to arrive!

Also, if you're into this, you ***Must*** check this out.  https://outlandertheband.bandcamp.com/

18 hours ago, wisdom81 said:

New Film in Color is out. 

Listening to it right now and sounding very good. 

If you're into Tunnel Blanket era TWDY, this is for you. 

A Film in Color - They March in Endless Circles

Listened to this the other day & 100% thought of Tunnel Blanket.  Solid stuff.

Edited by mrewest

On 6/26/2018 at 10:49 PM, drds89 said:

The Clouds Will Clear has a new single out. Can't believe it's been 4 years since their EP.

Recollection

checking this out next after Shane (Set and Setting)'s new project, Timelost.  Pretty good stuff.  Kinda shoegaze meets punk I suppose?  Not really sure.  I like it though. 

https://wearetimelost.bandcamp.com/releases

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2018 at 11:53 AM, omik11303 said:

Finally back in town where I could listen all the way through without the stream cutting off (happened 3 times and I gave up)-- this is a solid release, and I especially like the edge they have added to several tracks. Reminds me of TPSQ in some parts (who are due/ overdue for an album this year) and for @mrewest No Screechy Violins, not even once! ;) 

It never really hits a high point like the closer on New Topographics, but I want this on vinyl, and of course, the limited. 

Need to do the math on a subscription and see what 'reasonable' shipping costs are vs waiting a year or two to see what UK subscribers will list this for on discogs. It's the shipping that's going to kill if from private UK sellers. I seriously doubt 200 subscribers will be hanging tightly onto this. It's very good, but not Caspian D&D or Tides of Man: Y&C level.

12 hours ago, drds89 said:

Finally back in town where I could listen all the way through without the stream cutting off (happened 3 times and I gave up)-- this is a solid release, and I especially like the edge they have added to several tracks. Reminds me of TPSQ in some parts (who are due/ overdue for an album this year) and for @mrewest No Screechy Violins, not even once! ;) 

It never really hits a high point like the closer on New Topographics, but I want this on vinyl, and of course, the limited. 

Need to do the math on a subscription and see what 'reasonable' shipping costs are vs waiting a year or two to see what UK subscribers will list this for on discogs. It's the shipping that's going to kill if from private UK sellers. I seriously doubt 200 subscribers will be hanging tightly onto this. It's very good, but not Caspian D&D or Tides of Man: Y&C level.

Guess I better check this out!  haha

A Thousand Arms came out with their newest compilation today.  Exclusive new material from Pray For Sound, as well as some killer other tunes we've mostly known about.  As always, the artwork kills.

https://athousandarms.bandcamp.com/album/open-language-volume-iii-side-a

https://athousandarms.bandcamp.com/album/open-language-volume-iii-side-b

On 8/2/2018 at 10:45 AM, jlobban said:

a great instrumental band I've been following forever, Shelter Red out of Oregon, finally got their shit on Bandcamp. you guys should take a listen!

a2996230035_16.jpg

Thanks for the rec Justin. I seem to like 95% of the stuff you post.

Edit: And.... one album in /one listen, and this proves to be another incredible recommendation (The tesa reminder scored me a couple of their albums).

These guys are on an instrumental rock mission, driving guitar lines with a purpose, and not repetitive or too mathy / proggy for some here. Some metal components in there as well the way Russian Circles mixes in metal with rock. Can't wait to listen to more.

Edited by drds89

22 hours ago, drds89 said:

Thanks for the rec Justin. I seem to like 95% of the stuff you post.

Edit: And.... one album in /one listen, and this proves to be another incredible recommendation (The tesa reminder scored me a couple of their albums).

These guys are on an instrumental rock mission, driving guitar lines with a purpose, and not repetitive or too mathy / proggy for some here. Some metal components in there as well the way Russian Circles mixes in metal with rock. Can't wait to listen to more.

you and I have a very similar taste in music lol. do you have a Bandcamp profile?

glad you dig these guys! i always found them to be fun but not silly, catchy without being repetitive, edgy and kinda metal but dont take themselves too seriously. great balance these guys. they have a new record coming out soon, too!!

23 hours ago, jlobban said:

you and I have a very similar taste in music lol. do you have a Bandcamp profile?

glad you dig these guys! i always found them to be fun but not silly, catchy without being repetitive, edgy and kinda metal but dont take themselves too seriously. great balance these guys. they have a new record coming out soon, too!!

Warning:  I think my traditionally rock/metal bandcamp has been taken over by  the "everything"-gaze mistress ;)

drds89 bandcamp