Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion v.2.0

15 minutes ago, wisdom81 said:

This new Tides of Man record though... So so good!

It made me go back and listen to Young and Courageous. I feel so dumb to have passed on it when it came out. Wish I could find a copy somewhere somehow. Hopefully they'll repress it again soon.

Tides is ridiculous.  I need to take a break because I’ve been playing it nonstop.  Every listen something new catches my ear.  Was IG chatting with one of the guys earlier & I couldn’t help but ask about a Thrice influence.  Dan said I was dead on with that.  Waxwing essentially borrows from Of Dust & Nations which is awesomeness.

Edited by mrewest

Just saw Godspeed again on Thursday night, and man....  I never fail to be impressed with how ROCKING and badass that band's grooves can be.  I don't think they get enough credit on that front.  Everyone always talks about their melancholy, apocalyptic vibe and whatnot but those guys can KILL a groove.  Crushing. 

They opened my show with an above-average Hope Drone that I really enjoyed.  As it dissolved, they jammed right into Mladic which had me giddy.  Mladic is a fucking BEAST live!  I am so so happy I finally caught that song.  The studio track is great, but holy shit... this tune is a titan on stage.  When all was said and done, it bled straight into Bosses Hang, which was another incredible version.  They did the Fam/Famine -> Undoing bit, and then the crowd went apeshit as Moya popped out.  They closed it out with the obligatory BBF3 and we all went home happy.  Can't wait to see them again.  Unreal.  This fucking band is just the best. 

Seriously, if you've never seen Godspeed...  I don't even know what to say. 

Sometimes bands have immense talent but just have no clue how to write good songs.  This band has the cringiest name, cringy song titles, & the song structures are so basic & cliche I want to cry, but it’s hard to look past the talented musicians here.  It reminds me of a post-metal Lights & Motion.  Nice piano & orchestral moments just bogged down by the inability to write a uniquely structured song.  I can’t speak to any of this in technical terms, but I’m sure it’s obvious what I mean if you listen.  Every song basically has the same 4/4 pattern and the same tempo.  I want to simultaneously love & hate this album more than I do lol.

The intermittent vocals are also hit or miss.  If anyone wants a random listen, I’d be very curious if you can better put into words what I’m trying to say.

2 hours ago, mrewest said:

Sometimes bands have immense talent but just have no clue how to write good songs.  This band has the cringiest name, cringy song titles, & the song structures are so basic & cliche I want to cry, but it’s hard to look past the talented musicians here.  It reminds me of a post-metal Lights & Motion.  Nice piano & orchestral moments just bogged down by the inability to write a uniquely structured song.  I can’t speak to any of this in technical terms, but I’m sure it’s obvious what I mean if you listen.  Every song basically has the same 4/4 pattern and the same tempo.  I want to simultaneously love & hate this album more than I do lol.

The intermittent vocals are also hit or miss.  If anyone wants a random listen, I’d be very curious if you can better put into words what I’m trying to say.

Saw someone hype this on FB the other day. Listened to it and couldn't anymore for more than 2 minutes. Just way too bland more me.

12 minutes ago, wisdom81 said:

Saw someone hype this on FB the other day. Listened to it and couldn't anymore for more than 2 minutes. Just way too bland more me.

Yeah it’s 100% bland & I dislike it for the same reasons I dislike Lights & Motion.  You know what you’re getting with every song & there’s no good payoff anywhere.  Not the first time I’ve said this about an album but there’s a lot going on without much going on.

1 hour ago, mrewest said:

Yeah it’s 100% bland & I dislike it for the same reasons I dislike Lights & Motion.  You know what you’re getting with every song & there’s no good payoff anywhere.  Not the first time I’ve said this about an album but there’s a lot going on without much going on.

The next track that came up, about The Devil Holds Fast Your Eyelids, was much better.  That tune you put up is very bland though.  Generally I flip out over anything post-metal/post-rock that has piano but that one just did nothing for me really. 

1 hour ago, mrewest said:

Damn I thought i linked to the whole album.  Guess not.  

Whatevs.  I don’t trust bands who don’t post up on Bandcamp anyways lol.

oh no i see, it's a Youtube playlist.  These guys just really want to be Maybeshewill and they're just not that good as songwriters.  It's all fine, and they have all the "right parts" in terms of content but it's just not juicing the magic squeeze for me. 

EDIT:   So I listened to most of this album, and it's got some pretty nice moments.  But overall, it just doesn't have any magic for me.  They sound like a watered-down Maybeshewill and you just don't do that. 

Edited by Gumbo72203

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, drds89 said:

PFS seem to be going the direction of TDWY with compositions more ambient/atmospheric vs melodies and riffs, so ambient people should love their new direction

They certainly did on this record. They were experimenting with soundscapes and textures with this material. It is WAY deeper sounding with a good set of headphones!

So, here's a track that should have been (in my little world of musical expectations) on the new Tides Of Man album.  Cataya backed off a little bit from the harder rock/metal of Sukzession to craft a very nice tune.

just 8 minutes of your life

Esben And The Witch have a new one coming out for those that didn't see the thead on the main forum 

On 8/30/2018 at 12:22 PM, drds89 said:

PFS seem to be going the direction of TDWY with compositions more ambient/atmospheric vs melodies and riffs, so ambient people should love their new direction

This was a one-record thing as far as I've been told.  Back to rocking business as usual with the next one!

Also, if for some reason you guys DON'T have the I Hear Sirens debut EP on vinyl, today it is on sale for only $10.  This is literally the best post-rock vinyl deal ever.  BUY IT. 

Use code LABOR50 at checkout through 9/4  https://www.whiskeyandwaxrecords.com/store/I-Hear-Sirens-EP-10th-Anniversary-Edition-p104993959

This is probably my favorite song

Edited by Gumbo72203

The Ocean has a new song from their forthcoming album, "Phanerozoic I: Palaeozoic", available for listening on their Bandcamp. According to Pelagic Record's facebook account, the album launch is on September 5th at 6:00 PM CEST (9:00 AM PDT) and pre-orders will be available from Metal Blade Records (US) and Pelagic Records (EU).

On 9/2/2018 at 10:32 PM, drds89 said:

So, here's a track that should have been (in my little world of musical expectations) on the new Tides Of Man album.  Cataya backed off a little bit from the harder rock/metal of Sukzession to craft a very nice tune.

just 8 minutes of your life

Esben And The Witch have a new one coming out for those that didn't see the thead on the main forum 

That Cataya track is good!  I'll need to check that out more.

What do you guys think of the new Whale Fall album?  Not sure I've seen anybody mention it!

10 hours ago, omik11303 said:

New Godspeed-lite album released at the beginning of the month. Not sure how it stacks up to "Jobless & Worried" quite yet but definitely worth a listen.

https://goldenhymns.bandcamp.com/album/golden-hymns-sing-the-tower-other-songs

oh fuck i forgot about this!  I saw the email from Bandcamp and meant to spin it and just haven't had time.  His 2 other albums are fucking incredible, I love this dude. 

On 9/12/2018 at 9:35 AM, omik11303 said:

New Godspeed-lite album released at the beginning of the month. Not sure how it stacks up to "Jobless & Worried" quite yet but definitely worth a listen.

https://goldenhymns.bandcamp.com/album/golden-hymns-sing-the-tower-other-songs

Listened to this the other day and enjoyed it but J&W resonated more on first listen.  Album art screams “antennas to heaven”.

On 9/5/2018 at 9:16 PM, Gumbo72203 said:

What do you guys think of the new Whale Fall album?  Not sure I've seen anybody mention it!

Stumbled upon Whale Fall on Youtube. I had never heard of them before 'Sondersongs' started playing after listening to the new Mogwai album.

I ended up listening to the whole album, and it was pretty good. Really liked the extra instrumentation. I came here to see if anyone else had heard of them, so it's funny that you had just mentioned them. Need to go back for another listen. 

Edited by batman