Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion v.2.0

11 hours ago, batman said:

Stumbled upon Whale Fall on Youtube. I had never heard of them before 'Sondersongs' started playing after listening to the new Mogwai album.

I ended up listening to the whole album, and it was pretty good. Really liked the extra instrumentation. I came here to see if anyone else had heard of them, so it's funny that you had just mentioned them. Need to go back for another listen. 

Yeah they've been around for a long time, their previous album "The Madrean" was a pretty big hit a few years ago.  I still need to pick that up as well.  Thankfully they all have their stuff on Bandcamp.  That's probably my next paycheck.  Either that or all of The Seven Mile Journey stuff I don't have yet XD

12 hours ago, drds89 said:

^THIS

I know man.  Someday I'll pry that demo out of your cold, dead hands too XD XD

Also, ALL of you need to know about this.  If you're within any reasonable radius distance, you owe it to yourself to go.  It's being co-run by the Dunk!USA crew, and they do not fuck around on production quality.  Plus, that fucking lineup man...

1 hour ago, mrewest said:

Wish that Post Fest wasn’t so close to my Vermont trip.  I’d be all over it.

You only live once, man!

I'm trying to finagle a way to get out of work for a 2nd weekend in a row to do it......   I'm not sure it's going to happen though.  Fucking Isis reunion has to ruin everything!  XD

On 9/19/2018 at 8:16 PM, PigeonsPlayingWhatNow said:

I just met up with Gregg from Shy, Low to get a copy of Hiraeth before they go off to Europe to tour. So stoked! This band is incredible!

What variant did you get?  Gregg is a swell guy.  I decided to go all-in on collecting them since i have every variant of Binary Opposition and both jewel case and digi-sleeve versions of the S/T CD.  He wasn't sure which variant(s) the band still had last I talked to him a few days ago. 

Also, I don't know how often you guys scour Discogs, but one seller has something interesting going on.  They've put up an entire "personal archive of Hydra Head Records vinyl and CDs from someone closely associated with the label". 

LOTS of old stuff... test presses, etc.  I would venture a guess that this was sold off to help give money to Caleb's family.  https://www.discogs.com/seller/rockawayrecords/profile

3 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

What variant did you get?  Gregg is a swell guy.  I decided to go all-in on collecting them since i have every variant of Binary Opposition and both jewel case and digi-sleeve versions of the S/T CD.  He wasn't sure which variant(s) the band still had last I talked to him a few days ago. 

It ended up being Bell Heather. Mine is more of a yellowish cream color though, it’s odd! I talked to him for probably 20 mins, definitely a cool dude. I should’ve grabbed a shirt too, that design is awesome. But I obviously won’t be attending any of the Europe shows so I decided to leave it for them hahaha

You guys all need to listen to this.   Right now.  EF meets Pray For Sound?  Maybe? 

https://arivercrossing.bandcamp.com/album/sediment

EDIT:  I've been offered a steep discount on 5 records from the band for this.  180g black, gatefold.  PM if interested, I need 2 more people. 

Edited by Gumbo72203

On 9/21/2018 at 4:38 PM, Gumbo72203 said:

It was actually the Foxglove variant, not the Bell Heather. Makes sense as to why it’s cream rather than pink. 

• 2 weeks later...
Spoiler

Call of the Void = 33% Tool and in 4/4 instead of 5/4, pass, already have Lateralus memorized. No vinyl here.

jeffK = solid but frustrating at the same time. The album starts off very promising, but then fizzles off  in a few minutes, then does the same thing again several times throughout the record. No vinyl on this one, but I would definitely love a repress of their first release.

TQA = haven't bought an album of Eric's in several years. I know some of you got to see him at Dunkfest USA, and he is more experimental than postrock or drone (if you're thinking Sunn O))) or Boris). The one track now is a burner for me since it's a driving guitar riff repeated, which is my sweet spot for TQA. If the whole album is like this, will definitely purchase the vinyl.

A1KA recent releases, thoughts ^^^

7 hours ago, drds89 said:
  Hide contents

Call of the Void = 33% Tool and in 4/4 instead of 5/4, pass, already have Lateralus memorized. No vinyl here.

jeffK = solid but frustrating at the same time. The album starts off very promising, but then fizzles off  in a few minutes, then does the same thing again several times throughout the record. No vinyl on this one, but I would definitely love a repress of their first release.

TQA = haven't bought an album of Eric's in several years. I know some of you got to see him at Dunkfest USA, and he is more experimental than postrock or drone (if you're thinking Sunn O))) or Boris). The one track now is a burner for me since it's a driving guitar riff repeated, which is my sweet spot for TQA. If the whole album is like this, will definitely purchase the vinyl.

A1KA recent releases, thoughts ^^^

lol wtf, where is this from?

For the record, I am not enamored with the new direction Jeffk went.  I prefer their here-comes-Maserati-again style of that 2012 EP ( i got the last copy from the band at Dunk!).  There are moments of that in the new album, but not enough for me. 

I haven't had a chance to fully digest the new Celestial Wolves (which features Joris from Dunk!) but I like it A LOT so far from what I've already heard. 

17 hours ago, drds89 said:

Enjoying both LITE and toe - still haven't listened to TQA yet, had a crazy weekend

Revisited Cataya and not sure if I'll be springing for vinyl on this one; not bad, just generic

New Cataya was a snooze for me.  Didn’t hate it or anything, but didn’t find my ears perking up at all like I did with their last effort

Well, Set and Setting sure went heavy. I knew they were heading that way eventually, but they skipped a few notches. Pelagic makes sense now. Unfortunately, I'm not too optimistic about a vinyl purchase. Nothing really stood out though.  Another listen on another night may be prove me wrong though.  I don't think I'm totally riff addicted or stunted by shoegaze just yet ;)

TQA on the other hand, though not an immediate buy, left me with plenty of "come back and check me out again" music.

On 10/16/2018 at 9:34 PM, drds89 said:

Well, Set and Setting sure went heavy. I knew they were heading that way eventually, but they skipped a few notches. Pelagic makes sense now. Unfortunately, I'm not too optimistic about a vinyl purchase. Nothing really stood out though.  Another listen on another night may be prove me wrong though.  I don't think I'm totally riff addicted or stunted by shoegaze just yet ;)

TQA on the other hand, though not an immediate buy, left me with plenty of "come back and check me out again" music.

I'm working my way through the new Set and Setting right now and I'm enjoying it more than I did at first....   Ecdysis as a single didn't do it for me, because I like their more melodic/post-rock stuff from Equanimity but I REALLY liked "Perennial Longing".  They seem to be going the way of Shy, Low which is getting heavier and heavier with each release.  I'm sure it goes over better on stage with the crowds, as this is the reason Gregg from Shy, Low has told me they hold off on the lighter stuff when they play.  Crowds in America just don't have any attention spans or consideration for contemplative music in small venues.  The only way you can get their attention is by bludgeoning them over the head haha. 

30 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I'm working my way through the new Set and Setting right now and I'm enjoying it more than I did at first....   Ecdysis as a single didn't do it for me, because I like their more melodic/post-rock stuff from Equanimity but I REALLY liked "Perennial Longing".  They seem to be going the way of Shy, Low which is getting heavier and heavier with each release.  I'm sure it goes over better on stage with the crowds, as this is the reason Gregg from Shy, Low has told me they hold off on the lighter stuff when they play.  Crowds in America just don't have any attention spans or consideration for contemplative music in small venues.  The only way you can get their attention is by bludgeoning them over the head haha. 

Set and Setting Live are phenomenal. Album just can't capture them, much like Caspian and Russian Circles, but not quite on their level.

34 minutes ago, drds89 said:

Set and Setting Live are phenomenal. Album just can't capture them, much like Caspian and Russian Circles, but not quite on their level.

I saw them at DunkUSA and didn't really like what they were doing, they were SO loud and sludgy and the delicate moments of "Reflectionless" came across much too harsh and ragged for my liking.  They didn't play bad, but just how they presented that material.... i prefer the album. 

I'm sure the story would be quite different if they were to ever bring back Equanimity material but they've said many times that stuff is dead and gone due to being in a different tuning and with older band members. 

Sounds like a lovely extension of D&D.  My favorite thing about that record is how cold, astral, and somber it sounds at times... and I’m getting those vibes off that track.

But now the real question.  Being 2019, are we getting a new album from Caspian?  Or the anniversary rerelease of Tertia and the accompanying tour, like the band has mentioned in the past?  Or both?  Absolute madmen.

For those keeping score at home, Silent Whale Becomes A Dream is on tour in China right now.  They have been packing houses, which is great.  Furthermore, their drool-inducing setlist is as follows:

Dies Irae, Dies Illa

Cor Contritum

As Walking On Canopy

Architeuthis

Recordare

Lacrymosa Dies Illa

Fuck!