Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion v.2.0

I don't know if you guys have Instagram but apparently 2 new Athletics releases are impending - a splatter 12" (new full-length) and what I'm assuming is that 2-song EP finally getting pressed as a 7"

6 hours ago, pemulis said:

Has anyone spent time with that new Girah record?  I think it's great. When the heavy starts, the guitars have a real dirty tone. I've listened 4 times over the last few days. Think I'll have to get it on vinyl (over at a thousand arms). 

Yeah pick that shit up, people are flipping out over that record. 

13 hours ago, wisdom81 said:

Spotify also has Girih. You need to search for the name of the band plus the name of the record for it to pop up for some reason (Girih - Eigengrau).

The record is really good. Picked it up along with the new Coastlands.

Yeah, thanks! Was looking for Girah, but turned out this was a typo. Worked with Girih!

Hey guys, A Thousand Arms is having some wild deals for black friday, and they have A LOT of new titles that are worth picking up:
-15% off ALL ITEMS storewide

-buy 3, get 1 FREE items from A Thousand Arms Music

-20% off Ranges: Live at Dunk + The Ascent CD/DVD when purchased together. 

My cart already hurts.  So much stuff.  You guys need Girih, Haester, Jeffk, and Astodan if you don't have them.  15% off, plus you get one free if you buy all of those :D

2 hours ago, wisdom81 said:

So what's your guys' take on the new Pijn album?

I bought it through Deathwish with the black friday discount and got it in last week. I've only listened to the whole thing through maybe three or four times, but my general take is that it's solid, if a little underwhelming. Definitely worth owning, and I think the first three songs are killer, but there's not a whole lot about the back half that's stuck out to me thus far. L'Effondras did the whole sprawling, no-build thing the best on their last album, and this doesn't quite live up to that. What do you think?

11 hours ago, omik11303 said:

I bought it through Deathwish with the black friday discount and got it in last week. I've only listened to the whole thing through maybe three or four times, but my general take is that it's solid, if a little underwhelming. Definitely worth owning, and I think the first three songs are killer, but there's not a whole lot about the back half that's stuck out to me thus far. L'Effondras did the whole sprawling, no-build thing the best on their last album, and this doesn't quite live up to that. What do you think?

I honestly don't know where I stand.

I listened to the album 3 times. I loved it the first time, second time I picked up some flaws and the third time I enjoyed it more again. 

I guess I'll listen to it more before the end of the year and see where it sits. 

Hey guys, The Chasing Monster recently had all their gear stolen last week.  They had to cancel the rest of their tour, and it's a huge bummer.  Besides the fact that people who steal band's gear should be shot with no mercy, please consider donating a little bit.  These guys are fantastic, and are beginning to make bigger and bigger strides in the scene.

https://www.gofundme.com/help-the-chasing-monster?fbclid=IwAR2I4LDOcO4D2zC7Kez6RX5n6_XiFVMI2i3N3HRtz9_Tf5YccpLjsHb5tIk

if for some reason you don't know this band, you need to fix that right now. 

Edited by Gumbo72203

Kerretta - Exiscens

The few Kerretta fans are probably already onto this - I didn't pre-order but waited to listen first. Old tracks that didn't make the cut, the Guardsmen single from a while back, and some new material. I really was pleased after just one listen - old grungy stuff rocks.  Now I have to justify $30ppd.

11 hours ago, drds89 said:

Kerretta - Exiscens

The few Kerretta fans are probably already onto this - I didn't pre-order but waited to listen first. Old tracks that didn't make the cut, the Guardsmen single from a while back, and some new material. I really was pleased after just one listen - old grungy stuff rocks.  Now I have to justify $30ppd.

I pre ordered this one without esitation when it was announced. I listened to the full thing yesterday and loved it. I love everything these guys put out, honestly. Such a great band. 

On 12/15/2018 at 8:41 PM, drds89 said:

Kerretta - Exiscens

This is pretty neat.  I never was hooked into their old stuff, but I'm enjoying this a bit.  Will listen more!

EDIT:  Okay fuck, Guardsmen through Ornithomancy is fucking incredible.  God damn. 

Edited by Gumbo72203

On 12/18/2018 at 8:22 PM, omik11303 said:

pg.lost "Key" for $15, if anyone needs it: https://www.indiemerchstore.com/item/45878

I picked up one of those $15 copy when preordering something from indiemerch earlier this year, since someone kept bugging me about buying my 2nd press half clear/half black copy.

It came sealed, nice jacket, and I cleaned it, noted 45 RPM vs 2nd press 33 RPM, and thought this would be a no-brainer.  Now, I do not have an audiophile set up, but the $15 copy black 45 RPM sounds so thin and weak. I couldn't correct it with volume, loudness or EQ.  Maybe I just got a bad copy -- but just putting this out there. Caveat emptor.

On 12/21/2018 at 5:57 PM, drds89 said:

I picked up one of those $15 copy when preordering something from indiemerch earlier this year, since someone kept bugging me about buying my 2nd press half clear/half black copy.

It came sealed, nice jacket, and I cleaned it, noted 45 RPM vs 2nd press 33 RPM, and thought this would be a no-brainer.  Now, I do not have an audiophile set up, but the $15 copy black 45 RPM sounds so thin and weak. I couldn't correct it with volume, loudness or EQ.  Maybe I just got a bad copy -- but just putting this out there. Caveat emptor.

I'll have to go back and check my copies....  i don't even remember if mine is 2x or 1xLP which would denote a 45rpm vs. 33rpm. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2019 at 10:33 AM, Gumbo72203 said:

Definitely gonna keep them on the radar.  There was a LOT going on in that song.  Felt a tad unfocused but will be curious to see how the whole album plays out.  That sudden climax in the 6th minute was nice.