Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion v.2.0

1 hour ago, mrewest said:

Definitely gonna keep them on the radar.  There was a LOT going on in that song.  Felt a tad unfocused but will be curious to see how the whole album plays out.  That sudden climax in the 6th minute was nice.

Check out the previous album, I think it gives a good sense of what we'll get. 

https://oldsolarmusic.bandcamp.com/album/speak

****You can save $5 by buying the Old Solar LP and a shirt through A1KA or use the A1KA code to get 10% off!!!!!!****

On 1/2/2019 at 4:33 PM, Gumbo72203 said:

Nice! 

7 hours ago, wisdom81 said:

Been listening to this one a lot over the past few days:

A Swarm of the Sun - The Woods

Loved their previous release (The Rifts) and this is a great follow up. 

I still need a chance to dig into this but i really liked the one track they put up.  Reminded me a lot of the new Silent Whale in the beginning which I really liked. 

16 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I still need a chance to dig into this but i really liked the one track they put up.  Reminded me a lot of the new Silent Whale in the beginning which I really liked. 

The link only shows the one track...you'll see/hear the other two when you scroll down.

Was nice musically, but the vocals ruin it for me...boring voice & bored singing

New year means new tunes.  What are you guys looking forward to for 2019?

New End of the Ocean in < 2 weeks.

Caspian confirmed to start recording a new record in the next few months.  Also wondering if they’re going to stick to their plans to do a 10-year anniversary / re-recording of Tertia.  Potentially a very busy year for them.

Russian Circles confirmed they’ll be back in the studio to record in the coming months.  LP7 and they haven’t missed a beat in my books.

New Pelican is something I’m cautiously optimistic about.  I enjoyed the new tracks they’ve been playing live.

The upcoming Mono release leaked and it’s a lot better than I thought it’d be.  Great start to the year for those guys.  I didn’t hate their last couple of releases or anything, but that new album is way more solid.

Maserati should be done recording their latest album.  I have to admit that even with the weird vocoder stuff they’ve been doing on their last few albums, I come back to them quite a bit and enjoy what I hear.  Instant order from TRL when they decide to drop it.

And I’m also pretty interested in the new Lost in the Riots album, to scratch that riffy ASIWYFA itch.

Hopefully I didn’t forget anything.  Solid year for post-rock and post-metal, potentially.

Edited by Derek™

7 hours ago, Derek™ said:

New year means new tunes.  What are you guys looking forward to for 2019?

New End of the Ocean in < 2 weeks.

Caspian confirmed to start recording a new record in the next few months.  Also wondering if they’re going to stick to their plans to do a 10-year anniversary / re-recording of Tertia.  Potentially a very busy year for them.

Russian Circles confirmed they’ll be back in the studio to record in the coming months.  LP7 and they haven’t missed a beat in my books.

New Pelican is something I’m cautiously optimistic about.  I enjoyed the new tracks they’ve been playing live.

The upcoming Mono release leaked and it’s a lot better than I thought it’d be.  Great start to the year for those guys.  I didn’t hate their last couple of releases or anything, but that new album is way more solid.

Maserati should be done recording their latest album.  I have to admit that even with the weird vocoder stuff they’ve been doing on their last few albums, I come back to them quite a bit and enjoy what I hear.  Instant order from TRL when they decide to drop it.

And I’m also pretty interested in the new Lost in the Riots album, to scratch that riffy ASIWYFA itch.

Hopefully I didn’t forget anything.  Solid year for post-rock and post-metal, potentially.

From those, I really can't wait for Caspian, Russian Circles. I've already listened to the new The End of the Ocean and it's phenomenal.

This year, I'm also looking forward to the new Wander, We Lost the Sea, Cult of Luna, Old Solar, Catacombe and maybe Fourteen Nights at Sea and Cloudkicker.

8 hours ago, wisdom81 said:

From those, I really can't wait for Caspian, Russian Circles. I've already listened to the new The End of the Ocean and it's phenomenal.

This year, I'm also looking forward to the new Wander, We Lost the Sea, Cult of Luna, Old Solar, Catacombe and maybe Fourteen Nights at Sea and Cloudkicker.

I didn't love the new TEOTO which makes me so sad to feel.  Kind of like the last PG.Lost album.... it's different.  It's not Pacific-Atlantic, at all.  It's not BAD by any stretch, but it's just not what I was hoping from them.  I feel so utterly terrible saying these words because their first 3 releases and all the old Sunlight Ascending material is so dear to me with Trish but... I'm just not into it yet.  I hope that changes in time. 

New WLTS is going to be huge, hopefully.  Following Departure Songs is not a place i want to be in. 

New TPOS potentially too, and Ranges. 

I’m seeing End of the Ocean & Tides of Man on Friday so it’ll be cool to hear the new stuff live.  TBH the tracks released thus far haven’t done much for me, but none of their recorded stuff has ever done much for me.  Their live performances are basically a separate band from their recorded stuff.   

But definitely stoked on RC & Caspian.  New Cloudkicker will be very welcomed.  His IG teasers have been super ambient though so I’m thinking we won’t get riff-heavy deliciousness.  So maybe more ‘Let Yourself Be Huge’-esque stuff.

Might be most hyped for new I Built the Sky though.  If he sticks with bringing in a full band like he did on his single feom 2018, “Celestial”, it’ll probably give RC a run for their money.

Other randoms I’m hoping for...

Of the Vine

Oh Hiroshima

Pet Slimmers of the Year

Unconditional Arms

Sleepmakeswaves

Cecilia::Eyes

Edited by mrewest

1 hour ago, mrewest said:

I’m seeing End of the Ocean & Tides of Man on Friday so it’ll be cool to hear the new stuff live.  TBH the tracks released thus far haven’t done much for me, but none of their recorded stuff has ever done much for me.  Their live performances are basically a separate band from their recorded stuff.   

But definitely stoked on RC & Caspian.  New Cloudkicker will be very welcomed.  His IG teasers have been super ambient though so I’m thinking we won’t get riff-heavy deliciousness.  So maybe more ‘Let Yourself Be Huge’-esque stuff.

Might be most hyped for new I Built the Sky though.  If he sticks with bringing in a full band like he did on his single feom 2018, “Celestial”, it’ll probably give RC a run for their money.

Other randoms I’m hoping for...

Of the Vine

Oh Hiroshima

Pet Slimmers of the Year

Unconditional Arms

Sleepmakeswaves

Cecilia::Eyes

The new TEOTO record is more in line with what their live sound is like, style-wise.  I think you'll see a connection.  We got a few of the new tracks at Dunk last year! 

Where did you hear PSOTY was doing new stuff?!?!  Also, Of The Vine and Oh Hiroshima :D :D :D :D :D

2 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

The new TEOTO record is more in line with what their live sound is like, style-wise.  I think you'll see a connection.  We got a few of the new tracks at Dunk last year! 

Where did you hear PSOTY was doing new stuff?!?!  Also, Of The Vine and Oh Hiroshima :D :D :D :D :D

PSOTY is under his list of "randoms [he's] hoping for..."  Nothing has been posted or otherwise implied; he's just being wishful and I don't blame him.  In recent months I've been revisiting Fragments of Uniforms and personally forgot how good it is.

The obvious ones for me are Russian Circles and Pelican (both already mentioned).

But i'm also pumped for the new Latitudes and Glaciers.  I think both are finished recording. Latitudes's last record is still on heavy rotation for me and have been jonesing for a new one. And Glaciers just scratch an itch for me. 

11 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Yup what Derek said.  Although PSOTY did randomly post that new live song a while back (of which you commented on so obviously you saw haha).  Thought that meant we were closer to a new album than we were.    

BUT, to anyone that hadn’t seen this, or just never listened to Pet Slimmers, here’s that crusher of a track again.  Damn, just realized this was from friggin 2017.

@mrewest Ah I see.  it frustrates me to no end when sick bands do nothing haha.  Like, ITTCT totally died after Bones.  Have you ever heard of a band called Temples?  They released a couple albums (BLAK's album was mastered by the dude who runs Temples) and they're SICK but the band JUST released a live-in-studio performance of their latest album and it's like 3 years old lol.  I ordered their vinyl and it took like 5 months to arrive (domestic). 

Oh Hiroshima just pressed their first studio effort which is a 36-ish minute mini album and it's absolutely awesome. 

Also fuck this PSOTY track is awesome.

35 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

@mrewest Ah I see.  it frustrates me to no end when sick bands do nothing haha.  Like, ITTCT totally died after Bones.  Have you ever heard of a band called Temples?  They released a couple albums (BLAK's album was mastered by the dude who runs Temples) and they're SICK but the band JUST released a live-in-studio performance of their latest album and it's like 3 years old lol.  I ordered their vinyl and it took like 5 months to arrive (domestic). 

Oh Hiroshima just pressed their first studio effort which is a 36-ish minute mini album and it's absolutely awesome. 

Also fuck this PSOTY track is awesome.

PSOTY is posting random things on IG like pedal boards & stuff so maybe something will finally happen this year.    

That first Oh Hiroshima album is killer too albeit way less polished than In Silence.

Not familiar with Temples so I’ll check em out.

2 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

where do i start with this band, I think i've listened to like one song and wasn't super into it

Most people seem to like their first 2 albums the best (From Fathoms, Loyal Eyes) but I personally like Self-Titled & Healthy Fear way more.

FF & LE are more raw.  S/T is probably the most polished post-metal.  Healthy Fear is very industrial during the heavy moments but some beautiful clean guitar moments & a much heavier focus on hardcore/metal vocals.  

Edited by mrewest

Gumbo, you’re fucking up so bad by sleeping on GFE for this long.

From Fathoms needed a remaster so badly.  My favorite GFE album by a good margin.  It and Tertia were my gateway post-rock albums.  Both conveniently turning 10 this year, and (hopefully) both being remastered.  Imagine the possibility  of them touring together this year.  Hot damn.

I am much more out of the loop going into 2019 than in years past re: upcoming music, so I will be keeping a close eye on Bandcamp and this thread for new post-rock. Definitely looking forward to the new TEOTO album coming up - I haven't listened to any of the singles in anticipation of hearing it as a whole. Glacier posted on FB that we'll see a new album this year, so that's on the radar as well.

Also, unrelated to the discussion: I FINALLY got a copy of Black Clouds' first album. It's been on my want list for practically three years. There's no reason why I haven't picked it up sooner but I finally caved a few weeks ago and just had to pull the trigger. Such a solid band and a great, no-BS post-rock album.

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

Gumbo, you’re fucking up so bad by sleeping on GFE for this long.

From Fathoms needed a remaster so badly.  My favorite GFE album by a good margin.  It and Tertia were my gateway post-rock albums.  Both conveniently turning 10 this year, and (hopefully) both being remastered.  Imagine the possibility  of them touring together this year.  Hot damn.

Tertia will be remastered this year ?!

2 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Band has been talking about it for a while, yeah, with a potential tour to accompany it.  Not just remastering it but actually re-recording it since those drums need a whole lot of polish.

Bah.. The FF remastered is already confirmed so wait and see for Tertia. Just hope isn't on Mylene Sheath