Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion v.2.0

2 minutes ago, archiced said:

Bah.. The FF remastered is already confirmed so wait and see for Tertia. Just hope isn't on Mylene Sheath

Yeah, don’t quote me on that Tertia news or get your hopes too high unless the band makes the album art their Facebook photo, or something.  They’ve got their plate full if they’re recording a new album this year like they’ve claimed they’ll be.

Dunk! do pre-orders, right?  I know that FF remaster drops in March.  I assume we’ll have the option to order before then, no?

4 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Dunk! do pre-orders, right?  I know that FF remaster drops in March.  I assume we’ll have the option to order before then, no?

Yes. They just launch  the We Lost The Sea -  Live at dunk!fest pre-order for an early March release.

I hope a FF pre-order soon !

Anyone as keen on that From Fathoms as I am want to text me?  I’ve seen some Dunk! variants go quick and I’d be bummed to miss out on it.  Will return the favor since I plan to scout for it until it drops.

Also @Gumbo72203, since you seem to be in the loop with Elusive releases more than most... when are we getting that Earthcult pressed?

2 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Anyone as keen on that From Fathoms as I am want to text me?  I’ve seen some Dunk! variants go quick and I’d be bummed to miss out on it.  Will return the favor since I plan to scout for it until it drops.

Also @Gumbo72203, since you seem to be in the loop with Elusive releases more than most... when are we getting that Earthcult pressed?

I feel I remember hearing that the Ravena pressing was coming out next from them. Earthcult needs to happen tho. 

On 1/15/2019 at 3:51 PM, Derek™ said:

On 1/15/2019 at 2:15 PM, Derek™ said:

Yeah, don’t quote me on that Tertia news or get your hopes too high unless the band makes the album art their Facebook photo, or something.  They’ve got their plate full if they’re recording a new album this year like they’ve claimed they’ll be.

Re: Caspian - i know the band served TMS with legal papers some months ago, so I think it's fair to assume that the label is toast, completely. 

Re: TRNA - It's coming soon.  Looks like Ravena is next, then another one (maybe Bruit) and THEN TRNA.  It's being worked on, that's all I know.  It's coming though, don't worry.  I'd guess probably late spring? 

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

Late Spring of... 2020?  Or Australia’s Spring?  It seems like they take their time with releases – not a complaint since the quality is great – so I’d be impressed to 3 knocked out in just a few months if we’re already halfway through January.

nah my guess is this spring.  They all have other full-time lives besides this, and one of the dudes is finishing his college studies....  it's coming haha.  Don't worry. 

But seriously....  RAVENA ON VINYL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ARE YOU READY!?!?!?!?!?!

On 1/15/2019 at 9:51 PM, Derek™ said:

FF preorder launch 02/18

On 1/16/2019 at 10:10 PM, pemulis said:

Oh hell yeah. Russian circles and We Lost the Sea in Sydney! New material for both. April can't get here fast enough. Might go to Melbourne to see the line up twice. 

Yeah pretty psyched for this shit hot line up!

Saw We Lost the Sea twice recently once with a vocalist for the Quietest Place on Earth reissue tour, and once playing Departure Songs in full both times were excellent.

Never seen Russian Circles, it is rare I can take the Wife to see bands we both like so should be fun :)

22 minutes ago, 2notepockets said:

Saw We Lost the Sea twice recently once with a vocalist for the Quietest Place on Earth reissue tour, and once playing Departure Songs in full both times were excellent.

Never seen Russian Circles, it is rare I can take the Wife to see bands we both like so should be fun :)

You bastard.  You got to see "With Grace" and "A Quiet Place".  I hate you!  :::throws CD-R's in your general direction:::   XD XD XD

5 hours ago, 2notepockets said:

I had to miss those QPOE shows. I tried so hard to go but commitments made it impossible. Glad you enjoyed it, pretty jealous of you though. 

On 1/13/2019 at 7:05 AM, Derek™ said:

The upcoming Mono release leaked and it’s a lot better than I thought it’d be.  Great start to the year for those guys.  I didn’t hate their last couple of releases or anything, but that new album is way more solid.

Maserati should be done recording their latest album.  I have to admit that even with the weird vocoder stuff they’ve been doing on their last few albums, I come back to them quite a bit and enjoy what I hear.  Instant order from TRL when they decide to drop it.

Cant' wait to hear the new Mono. I just get the shipping notification.

And I have big expectations for Maserati !

Wow that End of the Ocean was very very disappointing first time through.  Just about every song sounded exactly the same to me.  The only song that even had me remotely excited was “foresaken”.  Other than that the tempo rarely changes & every song is basically structured the same way.  They’re lucky they’re so incredible live because my goodness they’re hard to listen to outside of that.

Maybe more listens will change my mind but I’m not even excited to listen again.

I actually was not extra impressed either, but a few of the songs are not too shabby.

I sort of fell off the post-rock train because a lot of it is "not too bad, but not too great," and the excitement waned tremendously.

Going to try and make 2019 the year I find exciting post-rock again.

33 minutes ago, deafening said:

In Excelsis is anything but hard to listen to.

I think it’s easily their best release but even so it all sounds so watered down overall.  Their recorded stuff just sounds so muted compared to their live show.

’-aire’ is definitely louder this time around but most it just blends together.  It’s more generic post-metal and less “signature TEOTO” sound imo.  Although “foresaken” is real legit.

51 minutes ago, deafening said:

I sort of fell off the post-rock train because a lot of it is "not too bad, but not too great," and the excitement waned tremendously.

Going to try and make 2019 the year I find exciting post-rock again.

That’s how I’ve felt about the genre for the last few years especially.  It gets misinterpreted as disdain for the genre when in truth there’s more meh than animosity (animehsity?)  It takes something notable or fresh to really captivate my attention with new releases and yet I feel there are a handful of artists who can still seem to do no wrong.  Fortunately a handful of them are releasing material for 2019, so that’s exciting.

I’ll make sure I weigh in on a first impression of -aire.  Can’t be more forgettable than that last Patch of Sky album.

Also had the chance to listen to TEOTO this morning. First impressions give it a 6-7/10 for me. For whatever reason, I want to compare it to If These Trees Could Talk's latest, because it checks all the boxes, musically, but there's not enough there to get me excited. One of those releases that I'll put on my Discogs wantlist and snag if a cheap copy rolls around, but won't be itching to buy otherwise. I agree that "Forsaken" is a jam; everything else just kind of ebbs and flows without delivering any standout moments. I'll return to this, though.

Completely echo the 6-7 rating.  The album doesn’t do anything to turn the genre on its head but I didn’t find myself rolling my eyes at any point, any nothing was offensively generic enough to be used in a commercial.  Wasn’t paying attention to track titles but glanced at my phone to note that the climax of Redemption was pretty nice.  On initial pass a lot of it does sort of pass by but I did hear enough of a contrast in slower / calmer moments compared to the heavy ones... though it still could’ve benefited from a bit more variety.  Will probably form a more solidified opinion after a few more listens later on, but as it stands I was expecting a lot worse based off some comments here.

Just got back from the Tides & End of the Ocean show.  Both were top notch.  Tides are killer live & definitely have the far superior songs.  But they are no match for the titans of live post-rock.  TEOTO played mostly new stuff, and some was pretty dull still yet they sound so perfect & full live that even the dull songs sound great in person.  However “redemption”, “foresaken”, “desires” were all awesome.  Definitely my favorites of the new stuff.  As they always do, they closed with “We Always Think There’s Going to be More Time” & if I had to put together a Mt. Rushmore of live post-rock songs that would be up there next to Sycamore.

Edited by mrewest