Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion v.2.0

6 hours ago, wisdom81 said:

Agree on what's been said about the new The End of the Ocean album here. It's good but it feels like of samey. 

On the other hand the new Old Solar album is stupendous. Clicked immediate and listened to it 3 times yesterday.

Listened to about 45 seconds of the single from See and ordered it instantly. Going to try and hold out till vinyl arrives to give it a full listen. Glad it’s stupendous tho!

2 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Doing a little driving this afternoon and will have to throw on Old Solar, I guess.  I feel like Dunk! releases are 50/50 for me so hopefully it’s in the impressive camp.

Yeah same for me. Astodan did nothing, Jeffk was meh. 

I guess the last Dunk release I liked was Girih. 

And now Old Solar. 

Old Solar started off so damn strong for me. That opener is probably an 8.5/10 and goes through some incredible passages start to finish.  The rest of the album didn’t quite live up to the same level of oomph.  But fortunately it wasn’t too by-the-numbers, nor was it cheesy – my two biggest gripes when going into a new post-rock release.  I’d maybe put it on par with that new End of the Ocean, personally.  Looking forward to revisiting it at work on Tuesday to see how it treats me then.  (Very different listening environment.)

On 1/18/2019 at 1:17 PM, mrewest said:

Wow that End of the Ocean was very very disappointing first time through.  Just about every song sounded exactly the same to me.  The only song that even had me remotely excited was “foresaken”.  Other than that the tempo rarely changes & every song is basically structured the same way.  They’re lucky they’re so incredible live because my goodness they’re hard to listen to outside of that.

Maybe more listens will change my mind but I’m not even excited to listen again.

I had an advance listen some months ago through a friend, and we both agreed that the music they're writing now sounds like it's supposed to feature vocals.  The only song that gives me the old vibes is ironically "Homesick" lol.  It's not bad stuff.  It's just not moving like their old stuff - i'm hoping repeat listens will make it grow, and I'm curious to hear how the songs translate live.  Hopefully they get some traction outside of the regular post-rock circuit so that they aren't a bomb for the label. 

Also you're CRAZY if you don't find Pacific-Atlantic listening :P

22 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I had an advance listen some months ago through a friend, and we both agreed that the music they're writing now sounds like it's supposed to feature vocals.  The only song that gives me the old vibes is ironically "Homesick" lol.  It's not bad stuff.  It's just not moving like their old stuff - i'm hoping repeat listens will make it grow, and I'm curious to hear how the songs translate live.  Hopefully they get some traction outside of the regular post-rock circuit so that they aren't a bomb for the label. 

Also you're CRAZY if you don't find Pacific-Atlantic listening :P

That’s a great way to put it.  I do think some vocals would probably help this album out a lot.  It’s like that møl album from last year.  They released an instrumental version which sounded so incomplete without the vocals.

Again, it’s not that I don’t like Pacific-Atlantic or In Excelsis.  They just fail to do the songs justice as their live show does.  If I had never seen them live I’d probably have a totally different opinion.  But the first time I ever heard TEOTO was live and THEN I heard Pacific.  

1 minute ago, mrewest said:

That’s a great way to put it.  I do think some vocals would probably help this album out a lot.  It’s like that møl album from last year.  They released an instrumental version which sounded so incomplete without the vocals.

Again, it’s not that I don’t like Pacific-Atlantic or In Excelsis.  They just fail to do the songs justice as their live show does.  If I had never seen them live I’d probably have a totally different opinion.  But the first time I ever heard TEOTO was live and THEN I heard Pacific.  

ooooo....  I can see how that would be weird, but I do kind of like how there are two different faces to the band: the chill, laid back studio stuff, and then the batshit intense live band. 

But yeah dude, I heard the album in like October or something and we both were like "This needs a vocalist".  The music isn't written with stuff to stand in for the absence of a vocalist the way the old material and other post-rock bands do.  I really hope they do well though because they deserve to.

This album is just like PG.Lost's "Versus" - a change in style that just didn't equal up to the power of the old original material, and THAT album came after a long break as well. 

It's beautiful, so glad I went with both variants.  I wish more labels did that instead of etchings; I really don't like them, you can never see them well-enough IMO. Also, I've been in that building!  The new pressing of The Ascensionist will actually be done tomorrow too! 

Lastly, this just came across my FB groups today and I rather like it.  I think you guys will also.  https://laidellenubi.bandcamp.com/album/tu-ri

3 hours ago, Derek™ said:

I definitely feel like a curmudgeon in this thread, especially with the stuff you pitch.  Can't deny that.  Who was it that suggested that Faltre record a while back, here in this thread?  That shit still holds up for me.

You got that right. That Faltre record great. Still on regular rotation. Plus the packaging is stellar. 

On 1/25/2019 at 8:26 PM, Derek™ said:

I definitely feel like a curmudgeon in this thread, especially with the stuff you pitch.  Can't deny that.  Who was it that suggested that Faltre record a while back, here in this thread?  That shit still holds up for me.

Ha.... I'll have to dig that one out and spin it.  Still surprised that the records came out perfectly fine on that, given the condition that the package arrived!  Crazy water damage on the jackets and posters, but the records are fine!

36605041_10155684487101724_4851056133655