Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion v.2.0

12 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Haha yeah I mean...  I just wish they were spacier.  Their songs never build towards a definable peak for me, and I also could give a shit about tapping riffs (i got sick of it from metal).  Don't get me wrong, they have some sections and songs I do like (1777 and Deficit are great, as is Harper Lewis and Afrika) but by and large, if I never listened to them again, I'd be fine.  Their drummer is great but i feel like he does the same things on all the songs.

This "definable peak" is exactly what I hate about all this generic PR-shit!

After your RC comments you're dead to me!

7 hours ago, mrewest said:

So no one checked this out??  I won’t be offended if you all hate it haha.  Just seemed like a fitting band to check out with all this Isis/Rosetta speak.

Yeah I did! It's not for me though. I'm more and more over the blast beats and screeching vocals. I like them on occasion (Deafheaven, Alcest) but it didn't work for me here.

14 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I just wish they were spacier.  Their songs never build towards a definable peak for me

It's just not what they're about. There are other bands that can do what you would eventually want RC to do.

9 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Okay this is a HARD shift but HOLY FUCK.  So, we just went to dinner for my late-friend's mom's birthday and on the ride back, Kyle's childhood neighbor (who loves black metal, death metal, power metal.... etc) puts on this band.  I'm like "......dude what?  This is post-rock....."  He's like "Really?  I listen to all kinds of stuff."  And i'm like "Yeah why the fuck have you been holding out on this???"

Fucking listen to this guys.  Derek, this one is for you.  It's post-rock but this is waaaaay different.  All of you need to hear this.  It moves from ethereal, dreamy shoegaze/post-rock to blackgaze.  FFO:  Show Me A Dinosaur, TRNA, old Alcest maybe?  I get BIG TRNA vibes from this though at some points, and then other times they're super ethereal.  Also pay attention to the bass player... he's very prominent in the mix and it really gives the music a unique vibe. 

Again, overhype. Nothing new and not doing anything for me. Glad it works for you though.

6 hours ago, Derek™ said:
7 hours ago, mrewest said:

They are the most consistently great instrumental band in existence imo.

Basically, yeah.  Caspian is a close second.

Yes and yes! Very close second though.

6 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Brian Cook might be my all-time favorite bassist, too.

At least in the genre yes. One of the most solid I've heard. It's just such a complete band overall. 

2 hours ago, wisdom81 said:

It's just not what they're about. There are other bands that can do what you would eventually want RC to do.

Right, that's why them and Pelican are not really my thing at all.  I get bored if it's just riffs.... I need some atmosphere and some drama, I need a climax.  A release point. 

@mrewest Checking this out now, I hear the Turner growl comparisons!  This is interesting...  spacey post-death?  Lol. 

Also, Wander has a new album coming out and I finally checked out their first single.  I think I still prefer "Mourning" over anything they've done because it has a bit more of an edge to it, but the new song March isn't bad!  Nothing groundbreaking, but one of the melodies keeps sticking in my head so I guess that's a good sign. 

Apologies completely forgot about this thread, alot of catching up to do - since I was invoked by Greg on the Isis albums

They really turned the corner with Celestial for my tastes; the prior for more hardcore fans.

Oceanic to the end is flawless, but if pressed, I will agree with Greg that ITAOT is my favorite (subjective)

Russian Circles and Caspian tie for my favorite live bands of all time (even Yes, Gabriel, Rush, King Crimson), and Enter - Empros are also flawless, so Greg and I part ways here.

Brian Cook is very average technically, and he knows his place, I follow him, so it's like a weaker team beating out the all-stars for a sports analogy ie TEAMWORK (except for Turncratz, he is phenomenal, like Tagashi with toe). Sullivan is great, but I think his riff creativity has been on a downslope for a few albums. But hey, the guy is mortal, and you can't expect an upward trajectory forever. He can probably still noodle Dakota Dakota in his sleep.

BUT,  I grew up with Neil Peart &Bill Bruford's, etc. and Tony Levin's, Geddy Lee's also etc. who all know their place but are virtuoso's and can sculpt melodies.

Enough of my 2c,  

But this thread need some of this with people sharing opinions and not getting flamed. All in good sportsmanship. Even Sasan held back :wub:

Evan, I'm going to check out your rec - can you DM me on Instagram? I give IG my 30 min homage every night for decompression and keeping up.

(And even ordering overprice shoegaze cassette tapes :ph34r:)

Edited by drds89

3 hours ago, wisdom81 said:

Yeah I did! It's not for me though. I'm more and more over the blast beats and screeching vocals. I like them on occasion (Deafheaven, Alcest) but it didn't work for me here.

Fair enough!  I suppose I haven’t exposed myself to this sound as much as others so I’m probably gonna like this more than some people.  I personally haven’t given Isis more than a casual listen a while back & I really can’t get into Rosetta outside of a few songs (Clavius :wub:).  Never liked Deafheaven but I love Møl.  But Wowod seems way more post-rock than the black-metal-gaze thing DH & Møl have going on.

1 hour ago, drds89 said:

Apologies completely forgot about this thread, alot of catching up to do - since I was invoked by Greg on the Isis albums

They really turned the corner with Celestial for my tastes; the prior for more hardcore fans.

Oceanic to the end is flawless, but if pressed, I will agree with Greg that ITAOT is my favorite (subjective)

Russian Circles and Caspian tie for my favorite live bands of all time (even Yes, Gabriel, Rush, King Crimson), and Enter - Empros are also flawless, so Greg and I part ways here.

Brian Cook is very average technically, and he knows his place, I follow him, so it's like a weaker team beating out the all-stars for a sports analogy ie TEAMWORK (except for Turncratz, he is phenomenal, like Tagashi with toe). Sullivan is great, but I think his riff creativity has been on a downslope for a few albums. But hey, the guy is mortal, and you can't expect an upward trajectory forever. He can probably still noodle Dakota Dakota in his sleep.

BUT,  I grew up with Neil Peart &Bill Bruford's, etc. and Tony Levin's, Geddy Lee's also etc. who all know their place but are virtuoso's and can sculpt melodies.

Enough of my 2c,  

But this thread need some of this with people sharing opinions and not getting flamed. All in good sportsmanship. Even Sasan held back :wub:

Evan, I'm going to check out your rec - can you DM me on Instagram? I give IG my 30 min homage every night for decompression and keeping up.

(And even ordering overprice shoegaze cassette tapes :ph34r:)

I think I sent a link to the IG group but I’ll send you directly.  Lemme know about that tape tho haha.

RE:  Brian Cook.  Definitely not a technical bassist but it’s just the ferocity he plays with.  His bass is like the exclamation mark to each song.  “Geneva” & “309” are the bass equivalencies to Pantera’s “Walk” riff.  

11 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Totally meant to queue this up today, but got carried away at work and forgot to come back to it.  The description of yours definitely captured my interest so I'm eager to hear what it's all about.

Basically, yeah.  Caspian is a close second.

Basically, yeah.  It may not be immediate on first listen, but repeated plays – especially over the years, and coming back to their albums – really showcase how little fluff they leave in their songwriting.  I don't think there's a single bad or throwaway track in their discography.

Basically, yeah.  You know they've nailed it when you hear a similarly appealing riff from a different band and immediately think "mmm... this Russian Circles worship is gooood".

Basically, yeah.  I don't know that anymore needs to elaborated there.

Caspian is definitely right there with RC but I give the nod to RC.  I know this isn’t a popular opinion, but I always found myself wanting to like Dust & Disquiet more than I did.  I think it was too overproduced & I’d take Guidance over D&D any day.  

But I found myself getting into Long Distance Calling last year & mostly because they gave me riff-heavy vibes like RC.  Not nearly as good as them obviously, but the opener on Boundless even reminds me of early RC guitars.

4 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Also, Wander has a new album coming out and I finally checked out their first single.  I think I still prefer "Mourning" over anything they've done because it has a bit more of an edge to it, but the new song March isn't bad!  Nothing groundbreaking, but one of the melodies keeps sticking in my head so I guess that's a good sign. 

I love Wander. The single is actually my least favorite song off this new record. Fortunately I had a chance to listen to the advance promo and loved it. It's in the same lines as the previous release. Lots of energy and melody but the songs are a bit longer. 

I’ve never been too impressed with virtuoso level musicians and just really enjoy Brian Cook’s ear for texture. The bass on C. Thomas Howell is pretty simple but absolutely incredible. The whole 2:00-3:00 section is one of my favorite things ever. Anyway, not particularly post-metal/rock related but I love Botch and just wanted to say that. I’m going to spin Empros after work today and will be back.

2 hours ago, mrewest said:

But I found myself getting into Long Distance Calling last year & mostly because they gave me riff-heavy vibes like RC.  Not nearly as good as them obviously, but the opener on Boundless even reminds me of early RC guitars.

I also found myself listening to Boundless a lot last year when I wasn't sure what else to listen to; tired of the regular rotation. It inadvertently became my AOTY. 

Not new, and mentioned multiple times (between both threads, I believe), but I checked out Ghost Shirt Society by Antethic a few weeks ago. I can not stop listening to it. It gives me The American Dollar vibes without being The American Dollar at all (I'm not good at analogies.)

28 minutes ago, deafening said:

Not new, and mentioned multiple times (between both threads, I believe), but I checked out Ghost Shirt Society by Antethic a few weeks ago. I can not stop listening to it. It gives me The American Dollar vibes without being The American Dollar at all (I'm not good at analogies.)

That Antethic album has a lot of good points, and won some serious accolades in a lot of my facebook groups.  I'll have to give that another listen. 

3 hours ago, mrewest said:

Caspian is definitely right there with RC but I give the nod to RC.  I know this isn’t a popular opinion, but I always found myself wanting to like Dust & Disquiet more than I did. 

D&D is a fine, fine record but I think I've grown tired of it because every time I've seen them play, it's just ALL songs from that record for the most part.  Granted, it was all during that album's touring cycle so I can understand it, but I've literally seen Darkfield at every single show (even caught it's first appearance!) along with Arcs of Command, and now Rioseco like 3 shows in a row...  and it's all great but you just end up wanting something different.  I keep missing Malacoda, and I really wish they'd bust out Ghosts and the Raven more often (The Raven opened my first show but I only knew Waking Season and YATC at the time.......) as well as Procellous, ASA, Moksha.... etc.

The band just needs to do 2-set shows, really.  An hour each, with a solid break.  $30.  Who would say no to that?

3 hours ago, deafening said:

I also found myself listening to Boundless a lot last year when I wasn't sure what else to listen to; tired of the regular rotation. It inadvertently became my AOTY. 

Boundless is literally the perfect “I don’t know what else to listen to” album haha.  It doesn’t require a super-focused listen but still slays.  It’s like a blockbuster movie with killer action sequences.  Who cares about the story when it’s that entertaining?  

I’ll have to check that other band out.

5 hours ago, Bronchitis said:

I’ve never been too impressed with virtuoso level musicians and just really enjoy Brian Cook’s ear for texture. The bass on C. Thomas Howell is pretty simple but absolutely incredible. The whole 2:00-3:00 section is one of my favorite things ever. 

I relate strongly to all of this.

5 hours ago, Bronchitis said:

I’m going to spin Empros after work today and will be back.

Let us know how it goes.  No pressure of course, but if you end up hating it I’d be super interested to hear what rubs you the wrong way about it.

Alright - I’m not trying to be funny or shitty here right now and I’m sorry if it seems like I’m just being negative for the hell of it but I put Empros on a few minutes ago and thought something was wrong with my player. Not even kidding. Wtf is wrong with the drums??? It sounds like somebody put together a kit with random shit from their garage. Like paint cans and stuff. Are the drums on all their albums that muddy and low in the mix? Specifically the bass drum. Otherwise this album is really wonderful. It has been probably 5 years since putting it on and I really enjoy how the album just starts up at full force without having some extended reverby guitar ambience. Anyway, I feel like I am kinda crashing your guys’ party with my noobiness and I apologize.

I don’t have best setup in the world but it’s definitely not a Crosley connected to computer speakers and I have never heard anything like that before. Am I just crazy? It’s less jarring as time goes on but I seriously had to do a double take and do some internet complaining real quick. Carry on.

Edited by Bronchitis

55 minutes ago, Bronchitis said:

I don’t have best setup in the world but it’s definitely not a Crosley connected to computer speakers and I have never heard anything like that before. Am I just crazy? It’s less jarring as time goes on but I seriously had to do a double take and do some internet complaining real quick. Carry on.

You're not crazy.  The vinyl itself doesn't sound incredible but the mastering on those drums is an acquired taste for sure.  I have to sort of acclimate my ears for the general production but I feel you on the drums.  The energy and complexity of them are enough to keep me coming back but there's no mistake that 309 live is a whole different animal than 309 on the album.

10 hours ago, Bronchitis said:

9 hours ago, Derek™ said:

You're not crazy.  The vinyl itself doesn't sound incredible but the mastering on those drums is an acquired taste for sure.  I have to sort of acclimate my ears for the general production but I feel you on the drums.  The energy and complexity of them are enough to keep me coming back but there's no mistake that 309 live is a whole different animal than 309 on the album.

Wait til he hears the new This Will Destroy You albums XD XD

Also Derek, I think you'll be interested in that Cold Body Radiation album I put up a few days ago.  It's....  different.  Kinda Daturah-ish in places, kinda TRNA-ish in places.  I really don't know what to call it. 

16 hours ago, Bronchitis said:

Alright - I’m not trying to be funny or shitty here right now and I’m sorry if it seems like I’m just being negative for the hell of it but I put Empros on a few minutes ago and thought something was wrong with my player. Not even kidding. Wtf is wrong with the drums??? It sounds like somebody put together a kit with random shit from their garage. Like paint cans and stuff. Are the drums on all their albums that muddy and low in the mix? Specifically the bass drum. Otherwise this album is really wonderful. It has been probably 5 years since putting it on and I really enjoy how the album just starts up at full force without having some extended reverby guitar ambience. Anyway, I feel like I am kinda crashing your guys’ party with my noobiness and I apologize.

I feel like RC drums kind of sound different on each album.  Memorial especially stands out imo.  Empros is honestly my least favorite RC album, but I haven’t listened to that on vinyl in a while.  I suppose I’m overdue to listen again.  I know I’ve never felt like the drums hindered anything in anyway.  

While we're on the subject of post-metal, that new Labirinto album is incredible. Just finished up my first listen and I know there's a tendency to get overhyped early but this is some of the best music I've heard out of the genre in a long time. All the right levels of energy, riffage, momentum, quality production, balanced vocals, etc... Seriously, don't sleep on this.

https://labirinto.bandcamp.com/album/divino-afflante-spiritu

2 hours ago, omik11303 said:

While we're on the subject of post-metal, that new Labirinto album is incredible. Just finished up my first listen and I know there's a tendency to get overhyped early but this is some of the best music I've heard out of the genre in a long time. All the right levels of energy, riffage, momentum, quality production, balanced vocals, etc... Seriously, don't sleep on this.

Damn dude.  That is killer.  The first track on the album is on Spotify as well so I checked out both songs.  That is some dense riffage right there.  Looks like the whole album is out tomorrow & I’ll be all over that.  

17 hours ago, omik11303 said:

Listened to it this morning and was pleasantly surprised. Honestly can't remember the last pure Post Metal album that landed this well with me.

I need to listen to this a few more times, but it definitely has the potential to be one of my favorite Post Metal albums of the year.