Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion v.2.0

2 hours ago, omik11303 said:

Anyone listen to the new album by Wander yet? I'm most of the way through it right now and it's pretty solid. Reminds me a lot of Heron's album from 2017 - definitely by-the-book, but more good than bad.

LOL just finished it about an hour ago & HATED it.  IMO each song just traveled in a billion subtle different directions & should have been 4-5 minutes instead of the 7+ they were.  

The first few songs sounded like they just went with long explosive moments  without building towards them at all.  

It honestly felt like an improv’d album to me.  Seemed like a lot of ideas where nothing was fully fleshed out.

10 hours ago, omik11303 said:

Anyone listen to the new album by Wander yet? I'm most of the way through it right now and it's pretty solid. Reminds me a lot of Heron's album from 2017 - definitely by-the-book, but more good than bad.

7 hours ago, mrewest said:

LOL just finished it about an hour ago & HATED it.  IMO each song just traveled in a billion subtle different directions & should have been 4-5 minutes instead of the 7+ they were.  

The first few songs sounded like they just went with long explosive moments  without building towards them at all.  

It honestly felt like an improv’d album to me.  Seemed like a lot of ideas where nothing was fully fleshed out.

I've listened to it quite a few times and quite like it. 

I appreciate the fact it's very energetic and has extremely catchy melodies. I think I still prefer Mourning (their first album) as it is more straight to the point and the songs are shorter. I need to give this more time and listens though.

Old Solar is still the best Post Rock album of the year for me so far.

the new Wander is good and i like it better than Glass, but Mourning is still their best.  The problem with them now is that all their songs are basically exactly the same, lots of business and lots of riffs and melodies, all of which are great, but the STYLE of songs is all the same.  Some of those melodies are damn good, but they need some more writing input.  The drummer writes everything, and it shows.  They need more input. 

New Swarm of the Sun is fucking badass.  I'm very keen on the new Seeress and Mono albums too.  I still haven't done the entire Old Solar album, waiting on a time when I can spin the whole thing.   

Apparently Cult of Luna is about to drop a new one as well, as I'm told they have been posting tons of studio updates on instagram. 

@mrewest its funny you mention the new TSBB album because I loved it when I listened to it digitally, and then i got the CD and played it in my car and now I hate it lol.  It's SO BORING to me now.  It has some moments, but I don't know what the hell happened cuz i thought it was great when I was listening to it at home in my bedroom.  The mix sounds very flat on the CD too, so maybe that has something to do with it.  But i was very surprised at my 180. 

On 3/5/2019 at 10:13 PM, Gumbo72203 said:

@mrewest its funny you mention the new TSBB album because I loved it when I listened to it digitally, and then i got the CD and played it in my car and now I hate it lol.  It's SO BORING to me now.  It has some moments, but I don't know what the hell happened cuz i thought it was great when I was listening to it at home in my bedroom.  The mix sounds very flat on the CD too, so maybe that has something to do with it.  But i was very surprised at my 180. 

Hmm interesting I’ve only listened on Spotify & still am digging it.

BTW, dude said he has already recorded album #3 lol.  Apparently he’s collabing with some guy & it’s gonna be more post-metal.  This all according to TSBB’s IG account.  

On 3/6/2019 at 11:51 PM, mrewest said:

Hmm interesting I’ve only listened on Spotify & still am digging it.

BTW, dude said he has already recorded album #3 lol.  Apparently he’s collabing with some guy & it’s gonna be more post-metal.  This all according to TSBB’s IG account.  

Yeah apparently he's playing with my buddy Eric from the band Lastdayshining haha.  Super random.  Eric lives in Albany, like 15 mins away from me haha.  I'll probably go hang out when they record XD

On 3/7/2019 at 7:15 PM, omik11303 said:

New Lost in Kiev album, "Persona" out 4/26. New track is out, anyone listen yet?

I checked it out and it was fine.  I try so hard with this band but they just don't hook me.  They're not bad, it just never moves me. 

On 3/8/2019 at 2:58 PM, Derek™ said:

I can only hope the Tertia remaster is half as crisp as this thing.

You say that like it's happening haha.  I think i actually prefer the old master of Four Trees honestly, the songs sound so different to me because different elements take the foreground and command your attention. 

Also, i don't know if you guys have ever posted about them here but a band announced for Dunk is doing it real nicely for me at the moment:  https://letempsduloup.bandcamp.com/

They've got the heavier European post-rock/post-metal hybrid thing down.  If you like Terraformer, Jeffk, All We Expected (basically any Dunk! band haha) then you're going to dig this.  Heavy, moody, but hints of other post-rock stylings as well. 

ELUSIVE PRE-ORDER GROUP BUY ANNOUNCEMENT

PO's go live on Friday for Bruit and NOT-TRNA (which means you know what it is).  I have pricing, please PM me if you want in on any of these so I can save a spot for you.  We've been waiting a long time for the 2nd one, and it's the only Elusive release not yet put on vinyl that isn't TRNA.  Do the math :)

I think you guys will love this Bruit album.  It's weird.  It's different.  It's post-rock but with like, no guitars.  If you like Arms and Sleepers you're going to be into it.

We only have a week on this; they go up live Friday next week, and I have a gig that night so we need this settled Thursday night!  CJ will be getting a limited number of standards for both for A Thousand Arms, but I can get you whatever you want through here. 

New Pirate Ship Quintet is probably the freshest post-rock record I’ve heard in years.  On top of the A+ melancholic strings you’ve come to love and expect from them, they’ve managed to tie in some hauntingly gorgeous vocals, saxophone, stellar bass grooves... a bit of everything, really.  Your mileage may vary, but for me, Emitter is a shimmery beacon that glistens in a sea of mundane modern post-rock.

2 hours ago, Derek™ said:

New Pirate Ship Quintet is probably the freshest post-rock record I’ve heard in years.  On top of the A+ melancholic strings you’ve come to love and expect from them, they’ve managed to tie in some hauntingly gorgeous vocals, saxophone, stellar bass grooves... a bit of everything, really.  Your mileage may vary, but for me, Emitter is a shimmery beacon that glistens in a sea of mundane modern post-rock.

Haven’t ever listened, should probably get on that. 

6 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Now I want to listen because you like it so much. But that description just doesn't sound like my cup of tea. Will give it a spin this weekend. 

Don’t let the saxophone comment offput you, if it did.  Anyone who’s followed this band probably expects the inclusion of “vocals” to automatically mean “screaming buried in the mix”, but this time around they’re truly divine.  Almost angelic without sounding sappy or over the top — like taking shelter in a monastery while it’s pouring outside and artillery can be heard encroaching from the distance.  (Help me out here, Gumby.). Not trying to overhype the record even though it’s probably well past that point.  The riffs are sparse - don’t expect any Russian Circles levels of guitar - and the emphasis is still on the strings, as they’ve always been.  But barring that, I think it’s one of the most innovative albums of the genre, especially since they didn’t dip into electronics at any point.  Something a lot of post-rock stalwarts seem to be doing to “reinvent” themselves, in recent years.

Edited by Derek™

9 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Do you have an advance copy or is this up for streaming somewhere? Just did a quick Google search and couldn't find it up yet. Definitely looking forward to listening, either way.

10 minutes ago, omik11303 said:

Do you have an advance copy or is this up for streaming somewhere? Just did a quick Google search and couldn't find it up yet. Definitely looking forward to listening, either way.

Denovali e-mailed a copy to anyone who pre-ordered, a couple of days ago.  (A week ahead of release date.)  Let me see what I can do.

On 3/25/2019 at 12:50 PM, Derek™ said:

3 times through, and to my ears, TPSQ have gone lighter vs heavier-- as many of our other favorite postrock bands pull me along-- and without going ambient or adding elcctronica as stated above. Repeating myself, I do love their gritty guitar riffs on the first 2 albums, which thankfully have not completely vanished from Emitter, but only contribute a small fraction to the work.

Their song writing/composition just keeps maturing. It's hard to find any flaw. Subjectively, it is a big relief that Emitter is something I like quite a bit alreaady.

Admittedly nervous about the sax (and that is one of my instruments), it is masterfully done, as well as the new vocals. Tremendous growing potential as well. Can't wait for the vinyl to get here now!

Should have just quoted Derek and wrote "this^^^" lol

We have quite a bit of new music from veterans in the postrock universe coming down the pike. 

Edited by drds89
spellcheck idiot