Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion v.2.0

Listened to the new TPSQ a few times through now (thanks to both Derek and Don!). My one complaint is that it might be a little too slow. I agree that it's hard to find any particular fault; it's really a gorgeous album. My only gripe is that I don't know how much staying potential it's going to have, because it's such a slow burner. I'm usually much more on-board with the sparse instrumentals but I don't quite know what to make of this one at the moment. It'll be interesting to see where I'm at in a month or two. Can't deny the beauty in "Emitter" and "Wreath," however.

Save it for nights or rainy weather.  That’s been the conditions for me this week and it’s perfect.  Wouldn’t be anywhere close to my first choice for a sunny road trip soundtrack, or anything that’s crunchy and energetic enough to work out to.  For me it’s the closest scratch to my never-ending Godspeed itch.  Queue up the beginning of Yanqui UXO’s opener, then hop to 3:35 of Emitter and tell me there’s not a parallel there.  I love it.  The guitar and strings have that depressing, black-and-white aesthetic that GY!BE have perfected; often intimidated by other bands but never really done true justice.  I agree with you that there’s a time and a place for this album, and that it’s not going to share the same versatility as other post-rock records.  Not to sound pretentious but I feel like it’s a “thinking man’s” brand of post-rock.  Sometimes you want to plug in and soak in every note and listen to something that washes over you.  Sometimes you just want cinematic builds.  Sometimes you just want chuffy riffs.  There is no right or wrong preference.  But much like Yanqui, I think I’ll be saving Emitter for particular moods and settings to optimize the mileage I plan to get out of it.

15 hours ago, omik11303 said:

Listened to the new TPSQ a few times through now (thanks to both Derek and Don!). My one complaint is that it might be a little too slow. I agree that it's hard to find any particular fault; it's really a gorgeous album. My only gripe is that I don't know how much staying potential it's going to have, because it's such a slow burner. I'm usually much more on-board with the sparse instrumentals but I don't quite know what to make of this one at the moment. It'll be interesting to see where I'm at in a month or two. Can't deny the beauty in "Emitter" and "Wreath," however.

Agree on "it might be too slow" at times...but on the other hand it's one of the only PR I liked in a long time (I liked Greg's suggestion "BRUIT >" as well).

Especially since it has some nice cinematic moments (not that climax thing, but rather a Soundtrack-feeling...e.g. the first half of "Companion").

"Emitter" and "Companion" have to be my favorites...really great! Can't wait to give it a spin when it's released!

On 3/25/2019 at 5:50 PM, Derek™ said:

New Pirate Ship Quintet is probably the freshest post-rock record I’ve heard in years.  On top of the A+ melancholic strings you’ve come to love and expect from them, they’ve managed to tie in some hauntingly gorgeous vocals, saxophone, stellar bass grooves... a bit of everything, really.  Your mileage may vary, but for me, Emitter is a shimmery beacon that glistens in a sea of mundane modern post-rock.

Got the download too but I prefer to wait to spin the vinyl.

I was totally in love with their first Lps a few years ago and I have big hope for the new one !

7 hours ago, archiced said:

Anyone get a shipping notification frome Dunk!records ?

I still wait We Lost The Sea and Gifts from Enola

I actually completely forgot about We Lost the Sea.  But now I see they originally said “available early March”.  I haven’t heard anything about the status of these.  Now I’m curious what’s going on.

EDIT:  Looks like Dunk’s website says “updated to shipping in April”.  Transition Loss still says “mid/late March”.  So I’m sure it’s just April all around.

EDIT AGAIN:  Wow go figure.  As soon as I start talking about it, I get a tracking email from TL haha.  So I guess they’re shipping now!

Edited by mrewest

21 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Dunk! sent out an e-mail earlier this week that addresses the From Fathoms delay.  Basically, they had to troubleshoot an issue with overheating within their pressing hardware.  Sounds like they got to the bottom of it, so pressing is set to resume immediately.

Don’t received e-mail from Dunk! but their website  says estimated shipping is scheduled for April.

Edited by archiced

2 hours ago, mrewest said:

I actually completely forgot about We Lost the Sea.  But now I see they originally said “available early March”.  I haven’t heard anything about the status of these.  Now I’m curious what’s going on.

EDIT:  Looks like Dunk’s website says “updated to shipping in April”.  Transition Loss still says “mid/late March”.  So I’m sure it’s just April all around.

EDIT AGAIN:  Wow go figure.  As soon as I start talking about it, I get a tracking email from TL haha.  So I guess they’re shipping now!

Effectively and same thing for From Fathoms 

2 hours ago, mrewest said:

Effectively and same thing for From Fathoms 

I feel like predictably this TPSQ is just not for me.  When you guys said “slow burn” I didn’t know you meant literally showing up to a bonfire & you’re just watching the glowing embers hopefully reignite a twig or something haha.

This one is just waaaaaaaayy tooooooooo sloooooooooow for me.  It’s not bad by any stretch at all.  It’s just not for this guy.  I actually wish they had more of those vocals.  They fit with the environment built here nicely.  

Not at all a chugga-chugga [tapping solo] double-bass brand of post-rock, nope.  I don’t know what exactly is so slow about it though.  I’ve heard some dry and uneventful post-rock in my time but don’t find myself bored at any point with Emitter, I don’t know.  To each their own, but it feels like a more somber Yndi Halda with climactic builds used a bit more sparingly.  (And that’s a good thing.)

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

Not at all a chugga-chugga [tapping solo] double-bass brand of post-rock, nope.  I don’t know what exactly is so slow about it though.  I’ve heard some dry and uneventful post-rock in my time but don’t find myself bored at any point with Emitter, I don’t know.  To each their own, but it feels like a more somber Yndi Halda with climactic builds used a bit more sparingly.  (And that’s a good thing.)

I don’t mean to use slow in a negative manner.  I suppose “simmer” is a better term?  It simmers for most of the album with a few “bigger” moments mixed in.  Admittedly I haven’t been into past-TPSQ as much as you guys either, so going into this album with that in mind hasn’t helped.  Just one of those bands I can definitely respect but just doesn’t click with me.

At least I can echo your sentiments (in a much more pedestrian way) about the new American Football.  I’m starting to obsess over that one.  They’re PR enough to mention here, right?  lol

Edited by mrewest

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

At least we can put outside our post-rock differences for new Rujjin Jirjles.  There’s a snippet of Arluck floating around there on Instagram and it sounds pretty swell.  Hoping for a single and PO next week or as soon after as possible.

Yeah the snippet I heard reminded me of Mladek a bit.  Very clean & noodly.

52 minutes ago, mrewest said:

I don’t mean to use slow in a negative manner.  I suppose “simmer” is a better term?  It simmers for most of the album with a few “bigger” moments mixed in.  Admittedly I haven’t been into past-TPSQ as much as you guys either, so going into this album with that in mind hasn’t helped.  Just one of those bands I can definitely respect but just doesn’t click with me.

At least I can echo your sentiments (in a much more pedestrian way) about the new American Football.  I’m starting to obsess over that one.  They’re PR enough to mention here, right?  lol

I’m surprised (but happy to hear) that LP3 is treating you so well.  That is a “simmer” album through and through, but in the best way possible.  Maybe it works for you because there’s a sort of predisposition, going into an AF album?  Whereas you never know what a new post-rock listen may entail, considering how ambiguous that genre title is.

4 hours ago, Derek™ said:

I’m surprised (but happy to hear) that LP3 is treating you so well.  That is a “simmer” album through and through, but in the best way possible.  Maybe it works for you because there’s a sort of predisposition, going into an AF album?  Whereas you never know what a new post-rock listen may entail, considering how ambiguous that genre title is.

Yeah I can agree it’s also a “simmerer” lol.  But for me it’s way more melodic & full of perfect subtleties like the repetitive drum patterns  that perfectly accent each song.   It feels 100% fully fleshed out.  The vocals have really grown on me as well between the first listen and now.  

I’ll most likely give TPSQ another listen at some point.  It probably would suit me well to put on some headphones when I’m laying around & give it my undivided attention.  Admittedly I do the majority of my listening at work or in my car.  Or when I run, but this is definitely not a running album haha.

Based on everything you guys are saying about this new TPSQ album, I have a feeling you'll LOVE the band Fourteen Nights at Sea if you haven't already been listening.  To me, they are the definition of that "simmer" mentality in their albums Great North, Minor Light and the Acres/No Capital EP.  Their debut has the simmer thing going, but it also builds to HUGE crushing peaks via riffs in an almost YONL way.  Can't recommend that band enough.  They took the Tunnel Blanket aesthetic and did something else with it.  I fucking love it. 

Also Derek it's funny you mention Yanqui UXO because I think that's my least favorite Godspeed album haha.  They all have parts to enjoy, but that's definitely the bottom of the list for me.  Music tastes are so weird!

2 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Based on everything you guys are saying about this new TPSQ album, I have a feeling you'll LOVE the band Fourteen Nights at Sea if you haven't already been listening.  To me, they are the definition of that "simmer" mentality in their albums Great North, Minor Light and the Acres/No Capital EP.  Their debut has the simmer thing going, but it also builds to HUGE crushing peaks via riffs in an almost YONL way.  Can't recommend that band enough.  They took the Tunnel Blanket aesthetic and did something else with it.  I fucking love it. 

I see your Fourteen Nights at Sea and I’ll raise you A Film in Color. Wouldn’t be surprised if you’re already familiar but you’ll love it if not.

7 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Also Derek it's funny you mention Yanqui UXO because I think that's my least favorite Godspeed album haha.  They all have parts to enjoy, but that's definitely the bottom of the list for me.  Music tastes are so weird!

What do tastes have to do with that though?  I never implied Yanqui UXO was my favorite, personally.  Like many GY!BE fans, I'd consider it my least favorite of their releases.  Cannot deny how good the atmosphere is on some of its cuts though – especially that 09-15-00 (Pt. 1).

On 3/30/2019 at 2:48 PM, omik11303 said:

I see your Fourteen Nights at Sea and I’ll raise you A Film in Color. Wouldn’t be surprised if you’re already familiar but you’ll love it if not.

haha I have it already.  They're good, but honestly the best band at that style is Outlander.  Like, not even a question for me.

Tell me these 3 songs don't absolutely fucking CRUSH you.  https://outlandertheband.bandcamp.com/album/downtime-b-w-plans

On 3/30/2019 at 7:45 PM, Derek™ said:

What do tastes have to do with that though?  I never implied Yanqui UXO was my favorite, personally.  Like many GY!BE fans, I'd consider it my least favorite of their releases.  Cannot deny how good the atmosphere is on some of its cuts though – especially that 09-15-00 (Pt. 1).

haha fair enough.  I'm in the super minority tho because I love Luciferian Towers :P

On 3/5/2019 at 8:39 AM, mrewest said:

I’m honestly still waiting to be blown away by something.  

This is actually shaping up to be one of the best PR years (for me) in a while, and it's only April. 

I still have a lot in queue to catch up on, but Old Solar, Wander, and Kosatka are really doing it for me.

Especially Old Solar.