Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion v.2.0

13 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

It's kind of like seeing Caspian live - you just don't get the whole picture until you see it, because of the live energy.  Like, Caspian is AWESOME on record but live it's a whole different beast because you're watching the music be produced in front of you, by people. 

You're saying two different things here, though. Your first sentence is implying that, no matter how good the studio material is, it will always be lacking something because it doesn't have that "live energy." In the second sentence, you seem to say that live music is just in a different category. I wholeheartedly agree with this second sentence. Live music IS different.

As an example: Let's say I give Requiem for Hell a 5/10. And then I go see Mono live, and they play Requiem for Hell front-to-back and just absolutely kill it. Energy, mood, technicality - all just off the charts. I'd leave that show giving the SHOW a 10/10. But the album would remain a 5/10, because the studio material is in a completely different category. Nothing they could do with it live would make me change my score of the album.

18 minutes ago, omik11303 said:

You're saying two different things here, though. Your first sentence is implying that, no matter how good the studio material is, it will always be lacking something because it doesn't have that "live energy." In the second sentence, you seem to say that live music is just in a different category. I wholeheartedly agree with this second sentence. Live music IS different.

As an example: Let's say I give Requiem for Hell a 5/10. And then I go see Mono live, and they play Requiem for Hell front-to-back and just absolutely kill it. Energy, mood, technicality - all just off the charts. I'd leave that show giving the SHOW a 10/10. But the album would remain a 5/10, because the studio material is in a completely different category. Nothing they could do with it live would make me change my score of the album.

Interesting, you wouldn't say that a live show like that would change your perception or appreciation of the music though?  To me I guess they're related...  I don't know that I'd come away from a situation like that and still grade the music itself that low afterwards.  To me, the show is dependent on the music still.  That's why I've become such a big Godspeed fan, because I "get" what they're doing more.  I never would have expected Mladic to have such an impact on me, live, versus my being underwhelmed by the studio version. 

Conversely, sometimes a band doesn't live up to the studio tracks.  This Will Destroy You comes to mind for me, and maybe I've caught poor shows or bad sound or whatever, but I've never quite felt from them live what their studio material does for me in the 2 times I've seen them.  So, I wouldn't say that live is always better.  We've all seen shitty shows, certainly. 

My overall point would be to not write off a band until you've seen them live, because your opinion of the material could change, that's all.  Definitely not that live is always better, but it certainly can give a different sense of a band. 

There is far too much to quote & respond too haha.  I’ll do my best to address a bit of everything.

Re:  pg.lost.  Despite not caring for them much, there isn’t a post-rock/metal band I wouldn’t go see if they came my way.  I don’t doubt for a second that they would slay live.

Re: Live vs Recorded.  I agree with both Owen & Gumbo.  I do put a lot of stock into a band’s live performance, but also appreciate a great album.  TEOTO is definitely front & center in my point of “Great live band, lackluster studio band”.  I won’t buy “-aire” on vinyl because it’s just not an album I’m going to go out of my way to listen to much.  But I won’t miss them live.  

Re:  Godspeed.  I actually had the exact opposite experience as Gumbo.  I had always liked them (albeit casually) & thought seeing them live would really put them over the top.  But they were probably the most disappointing band I’ve seen in a long time.  They really did nothing for me live.  

Re:  Au Revoir.  Definitely agree with Gumbo.  I like their album; don’t love it.  I mix it in on shuffle but haven’t spun my vinyl in a while.  But they were probably top 3 live @ Dunk.  

—-

Good live performances can really put studio recordings in a new light for me.  There are plenty of albums across all genres that I like or am “meh” on that take on a new life after hearing some of it live.  But the opposite happens, too (again TEOTO).  There’s this other band I heard live & it was really the first time I had listened to them (The Record Company...not post-rock lol).  They played one of the best live sets I had ever seen.  Incredible energy & sounded perfect.  Bought their new album, & it’s straight flaccid trash.  Lacks everything I loved about the live performance.  

So there really is no right answer.  It’s all about personal perspectives & experiences.

2 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

ooooooo you make me so mad sometimes XD XD XD

Still not as bad as this.

2 hours ago, mrewest said:

But [GY!BE] were probably the most disappointing band I’ve seen in a long time.  They really did nothing for me live.

Goddamn, You! Gotta’beshittingme

19 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Still not as bad as this.

Goddamn, You! Gotta’beshittingme

Everyone hyped these projections like it was an otherworldly experience & I got nothing out of it.  And they sounded fine but nothing about the performance moved me at all.  It was a dimly lit show w/ minimal movements from every band member.  Just felt no energy during the show.  

Too much to respond to, but most importantly, thanks for the new recommendations to check out!

A couple things: Lost In Kiev - LOVE their first two albums, don't know why their home-made samples with monotone voices click, but they just do. The new single:  cringe is too light of a word. Not hopeful at all. 

Latitudes new album Part Island: they posted a bunch of positive reviews from decent sources, but I was still hesitant. Now, if you hate Adam's vocals, their's no point in even going there, because he is on all tracks. But they have written some really solid music with no filler -- first time through, and I really like the new direction - leaving the prog, and adding some PR, shoegaze and BM influences. 

TPSQ gets better and better, though I think they shine best on Symmetry Is Dead type tracks.

On to new music, thanks every one :)

Anyone else seeing the daily countdown ASIWYFA are posting?  They're coming in the form of 10-30 second video clips.  What's interesting is that the first few clips were tiny sound bites taken from the S/T, and as the days have gone on, each new clip is longer and more obviously a snippet from S/T songs.  The video that accompanies them appears to be live footage from 10 years ago.  It's counting down to April 13th, which will make the 10 year anniversary of the S/T.  For me, it and Gangs have held up really well over the years, so I'm excited for whatever it may be.  The band have stated that they're well aware of how badly the S/T needs a vinyl repress – I was lucky enough to grab one during a flash sale they had, but I'd love to see it get a deluxe treatment and become readily available for those who need it.  An anniversary tour announcement would also be icing on the cake.

On 4/6/2019 at 5:08 PM, mrewest said:

Everyone hyped these projections like it was an otherworldly experience & I got nothing out of it.  And they sounded fine but nothing about the performance moved me at all.  It was a dimly lit show w/ minimal movements from every band member.  Just felt no energy during the show.  

You're not alone.

Sorry, Derek.

You’re killing me.

GY!BE, Caspian, and Mogwai.  In no particular order, probably my top instrumental bands to see live.  Time and time again.  (Russian Circles are mega consistent too.)  Godspeed definitely do not move around or perform with a ton of kinetic energy – their saxophonist really killed it on the last tour though – but that’s always not the kind of show I’m signing up for when I throw down money for a Godspeed ticket, I guess.

Still think their projections are pretty damn cool though, regardless.  Especially while they’re being burned.

really digging the Kosatka! 

everything recommended has been solid, but Colossus has to be my favorite so far up through those recommendations.

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

That is a hell of a deal.  How’s the album compare to Departure Songs?

I remember listening to it after first hearing TQPOE and not being inclined to pursue it further, but for $13ppd, it deserves a listen tonight before working through the rest of the rec's here.

4 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

TODAY ONLY!!!!  WLTS VINYL!!!!!!!

From Translation Loss - 50% off Crimea TODAY ONLY with code 50OFFWLTS.  $13.13ppd baby! 

http://translationlossrecords.bigcartel.com/product/we-lost-the-sea-crimea-lp-preorder

Shit I’ll buy just about anything for that price.  I’ve never even listened to this album.  Thanks Gumbo!  You’re always trying to spend my money & finally succeeded ;)

On 4/7/2019 at 10:24 AM, drds89 said:

Latitudes new album Part Island: they posted a bunch of positive reviews from decent sources, but I was still hesitant. Now, if you hate Adam's vocals, their's no point in even going there, because he is on all tracks. But they have written some really solid music with no filler -- first time through, and I really like the new direction - leaving the prog, and adding some PR, shoegaze and BM influences. 

I love latitudes. Still getting used to teh new digs. I've listened to it through 5 times or so now, I think It'll continue to grow on me. But i was disappointed my first time through.  

Crimea isn't comparable to Departure Songs. But I'd put on Crimea before Departure songs everyday and I like Departure Songs. Although when I reach for We Lost the Sea, it is 95% of the time for TQPOE or Crimea, as I started listening to We Lost the Sea before Departure songs and has probably deluded my opinion, so take it with lots of salt.