Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion v.2.0

16 hours ago, Derek™ said:

That is a hell of a deal.  How’s the album compare to Departure Songs?

It's very different.  Their old stuff has a singer and is VERY influenced by Cult of Luna, but I love it. 

12 hours ago, mrewest said:

Shit I’ll buy just about anything for that price.  I’ve never even listened to this album.  Thanks Gumbo!  You’re always trying to spend my money & finally succeeded ;)

Nicely done!  I mean, it's $13 haha.  I love Crimea.  If you like Cult of Luna, you're going to dig this.  Heavy, building post-metal.  It's got their old singer, the same as on The Quietest Place on Earth before he took his own life. 

3 hours ago, mrewest said:

I'll see that and raise you the new Immanu El song!  New album from Blankenberge is up on Bandcamp also!  What a week. 

4 hours ago, mrewest said:

Holy fuck, this band just got real.  WOW. 

Their previous album was good, but I felt it copied bands a bit too egregiously - I heard Caspian riffs, the theme from "Not My Blood" by Gates was used in a song, and other stuff.... but good fucking lord, this new song.

NOW I'm really fucking pumped to see them at Dunk.  This crushes. 

1 hour ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Holy fuck, this band just got real.  WOW. 

Their previous album was good, but I felt it copied bands a bit too egregiously - I heard Caspian riffs, the theme from "Not My Blood" by Gates was used in a song, and other stuff.... but good fucking lord, this new song.

NOW I'm really fucking pumped to see them at Dunk.  This crushes. 

What song did you hear “Not My Blood”?  I never got that at all.

I honestly think this song is in line with their last.  Maybe a slight step up but I’ll need to hear more first.  But I also really liked that album.

7 hours ago, mrewest said:

What song did you hear “Not My Blood”?  I never got that at all.

I honestly think this song is in line with their last.  Maybe a slight step up but I’ll need to hear more first.  But I also really liked that album.

My girlfriend is playing Mono on our TV right now so I can't totally check but I'm almost 100% positive that it's the title track from the album.  I'll get you a timestamp tomorrow.

Also my girlfriend likes Mono.  Life is good. 

I'll have one Blankenberge More Deluxe to go please! ;)  (light on the noodles track 6).  Hope Phil /Elusive Sound can do this at some point. They seem to continue to explore musical territory where PSUB left off and moved in another direction.  Both good, win:win.

I like WLST (and similarly YONL) as instrumental bands > with vocals.

Hi guys, this is my first time posting in this thread. Just wanna share about this band Often The Thinker. Not sure whether they've been mentioned before, but it's FFO Do Make Say Think, The Six Parts Seven and the likes. I love the last album Better Part of Vice, and Drew (the head honcho) was really nice in shipping the CD to me in Malaysia. They're currently in the midst of releasing a new album, and looking out for interested parties to collaborate and to press it on vinyl.

https://oftenthethinker.bandcamp.com/

7 minutes ago, zaoza said:

Hi guys, this is my first time posting in this thread. Just wanna share about this band Often The Thinker. Not sure whether they've been mentioned before, but it's FFO Do Make Say Think, The Six Parts Seven and the likes. I love the last album Better Part of Vice, and Drew (the head honcho) was really nice in shipping the CD to me in Malaysia. They're currently in the midst of releasing a new album, and looking out for interested parties to collaborate and to press it on vinyl.

Hey Zaoza, welcome to our little slice of VC.  You definitely had my attention at DMST and T6P7.  Already queued it up to kick off work for tomorrow – I'll let you know what I think and hopefully join you on the vinyl crusade shortly after.

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

Hey Zaoza, welcome to our little slice of VC.  You definitely had my attention at DMST and T6P7.  Already queued it up to kick off work for tomorrow – I'll let you know what I think and hopefully join you on the vinyl crusade shortly after.

Thanks Derek, hope you'll dig them. They randomly followed me on IG and commented on a photo of DMST's LP that I posted, and when I gave a listen, was immediately hooked.

Just noticed you've changed to the cover of MYT. Instantly made me recall Mogwai Fear Satan in a live setting. Glorious.

10 hours ago, zaoza said:

Thanks Derek, hope you'll dig them. They randomly followed me on IG and commented on a photo of DMST's LP that I posted, and when I gave a listen, was immediately hooked.

Just noticed you've changed to the cover of MYT. Instantly made me recall Mogwai Fear Satan in a live setting. Glorious.

Of the 3 times I’ve caught Mogwai, I only got to witness Mogwai Fear Satan once... but it’s stuck with me closely, despite occurring 5 years ago.  Probably the best wall of sound I’ve ever been enveloped by, at a show.  Really sparked a newfound appreciation of that track for me.

Regarding Often the Thinker; I really enjoyed BPOV.  The DMST comparisons are right on the money – it’s the same caliber of “wholesome” post-rock with colorful instrumentation and just a hint of jazzy influence.  No monster riffs or breakdowns or anything, but it’s the same caliber of enjoyment that I get out of listening to DMST or even Old Canes.  I’m very much on board for a vinyl pressing at this point, if it happens.

On 3/1/2019 at 4:10 AM, Sasan said:

Anybody wants to pick up a PELICAN 7" for me? Seems to be a regional release that's not available in Germany...if you're looking for anything limited to Europe, give me a shot and we'll work something out!

Hey you still down for this if I get one?  Definitely still want Glass Animals if you find it.  I don’t know yet if my store is getting Pelican but I should know tomorrow.

12 hours ago, zaoza said:

Gave this a casual “3-song listen” & coulda sworn it really was DMST.  DMST has always been a mood band for me so this falls in line.  Definitely good stuff though!

18 hours ago, Sasan said:

The new song is pretty much like their last album...which was quite disappointing

I've yet to hear anything by them I didn't like....  the later albums aren't as compelling at the debut, but I still enjoy the hell out of their sound. 

7 hours ago, archiced said:

Just got these beauties today !

qElgiz3.jpg

RLm1Vo5.jpg

Dunk! Pressing is killing it lately.  The live sound on that WLTS record is impressive.  My French buddy has a copy of the Dunk! variant of WLTS waiting for me when i fly over there next month, along with the EU variant of Old Solar. 

Can't fucking waaaaait! 

5 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I've yet to hear anything by them I didn't like....  the later albums aren't as compelling at the debut, but I still enjoy the hell out of their sound. 

Dunk! Pressing is killing it lately.  The live sound on that WLTS record is impressive.  My French buddy has a copy of the Dunk! variant of WLTS waiting for me when i fly over there next month, along with the EU variant of Old Solar. 

Can't fucking waaaaait! 

Yeah, "They'll come, they come" is their absolute masterpiece! I liked "In Passage" as well...the other two, meh...

GIVE ME THAT OLD SOLAR!

10 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I Am The Ocean is the best Isis song that Isis didn't write.  Fight me. 

I'd spend stupid, and I mean STUPID amounts of money to get this EP on vinyl. 

I can’t believe I still have never listened to that.  Stupid not being on Spotify!  I need to quit being lazy lol.

1 hour ago, mrewest said:

I can’t believe I still have never listened to that.  Stupid not being on Spotify!  I need to quit being lazy lol.

I'm going to strangle you, guy!!! 

Also - A Thousand Arms is having a STUPID CRAZY sale today for RSD day.  Everything is 15% off, but then A1KA releases are ALSO price-reduced to begin with.
The following titles are supremely discounted (prices before the discount):

Haester - All Anchors, No Sails - $12   (full length - if you like Mariner, you'll like this.  Amazing post-metal)

Celestial Wolves - Call of the Void - $16  (full length, dark post-rock)

Old Solar - See - $20 (2xLP)  (why don't you all have this??)

Jeffk - Inadequate Shelter - $16

PG.Lost - Live at Dunk! fest - $20 (2xLP)

Thisquietarmy - The Body and the Earth - $12

https://athousandarms.store/