Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion v.2.0

6 hours ago, Derek™ said:

I’ve always attested that PSOTY are more or less Isis with cleaner, more accessible vocals.  I would take anything from them on vinyl.

Yup.  I like some of the more aggro parts of "....and The Sky Fell" vs. the languid, glacial wet vibe of "Fragments" and I often feel that their vocals trend more towards Tool sometimes (which is fine because Lateralus) but yeah, PSOTY basically turning ITAOT into a band, much the way that Silent Whale is what would happen if Mono's "You Are There" became a band lol. 

EDIT:  

Omg you guys.  I don't know if this will get you all as excited as me, but it seems the post-rock gods have smiled upon us - it appears that Com(?) is back in rotation for Mono.  Preliminary reports show that they played it last night at their secret Roadburn show, and they played it last month in Japan.  That means it's worked up, and the band spent time on it.  I think we're going to see it on tour here!!!!

Edited by Gumbo72203

12 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Omg you guys.  I don't know if this will get you all as excited as me, but it seems the post-rock gods have smiled upon us - it appears that Com(?) is back in rotation for Mono.  Preliminary reports show that they played it last night at their secret Roadburn show, and they played it last month in Japan.  That means it's worked up, and the band spent time on it.  I think we're going to see it on tour here!!!!

Com(?) is killer.  Maybe a One Step More tour in 2022?  It never really dawned on me how old I'm getting until I realized how much I enjoy or hope for anniversary tours for my favorite albums.

47 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Com(?) is killer.  Maybe a One Step More tour in 2022?  It never really dawned on me how old I'm getting until I realized how much I enjoy or hope for anniversary tours for my favorite albums.

They did all of Hymn for their main Roadburn set, with the Jo Quail quartet, for that album's 10th anniversary.  I would shell out so much money for a One Step More tour.  That's my favorite album.  It's perfect, exactly everything I want from Mono. 

43 minutes ago, mrewest said:

I can’t stop listening to this We Lost the Sea Dunk album.  Might be one of my favorite records I own now.

Now you get it!  haha.  I absolutely adore the bass guitar sound on this album, it's so good.  Challenger doesn't feel like 20 mins either, and on the record itself it doesn't go nearly all the way into the center which is really weird! 

I wish I wasn't so sleep deprived, I really don't remember much of the set at all :X

1 minute ago, mrewest said:

I’ve gone from thinking that to adoring the album haha.  But I must say, I dunno if I can listen to the studio version after hearing this live version.  It’s almost a different album.

It's a mix or just Departure Songs?  Typically pretty "eh" about live albums but I could see them being a nice live experience, and having that translate well onto a live album.

2 minutes ago, mrewest said:

I’ve gone from thinking that to adoring the album haha.  But I must say, I dunno if I can listen to the studio version after hearing this live version.  It’s almost a different album.

That's a tall statement, I think the studio is pretty damn good.  This live one is a bit more frantic and played at a brisker speed in some parts, giving it a unique energy.  That's the sound of that tent though....  you gotta come someday! 

1 minute ago, Derek™ said:

It's a mix or just Departure Songs?  Typically pretty "eh" about live albums but I could see them being a nice live experience, and having that translate well onto a live album.

It's a full Departure Songs performance, samples and all.  This one and the Ranges live album are amazing.  I gotta dig into the PG.Lost one again because I have it but wasn't totally floored with that one's sound.  That was a great set though.  PG.Lost live is so fucking good. 

Maybe one day they'll be back and bring out some of the older tunes.  With Grace and A Quiet Place and you get maybe Emma to sing Forgotten People...... ughhhh

11 hours ago, Derek™ said:

That may be exactly what I'm looking for.  Will have to give that a proper listen and let you guys know.

Yeah, the nervous energy translates well I think.  If you read the story, the band's trailer broke down, blew out tires, and they made it to Dunk with only 45 mins to spare before their set.  Couple that with the biggest crowd they'd ever played to, their first show outside of Australia......  it's a unique moment in time haha

On 4/13/2019 at 8:28 PM, mrewest said:

Struck out on Pelican :(.  Had to change up plans and hit another store first that didn’t have it before going to the store that did & by the time I got there it was gone.  Sorry man.

Don't worry man....unfortunately, same with your record. My store didn't even ordered that one...

On 4/12/2019 at 1:57 AM, Derek™ said:

Of the 3 times I’ve caught Mogwai, I only got to witness Mogwai Fear Satan once... but it’s stuck with me closely, despite occurring 5 years ago.  Probably the best wall of sound I’ve ever been enveloped by, at a show.  Really sparked a newfound appreciation of that track for me.

Regarding Often the Thinker; I really enjoyed BPOV.  The DMST comparisons are right on the money – it’s the same caliber of “wholesome” post-rock with colorful instrumentation and just a hint of jazzy influence.  No monster riffs or breakdowns or anything, but it’s the same caliber of enjoyment that I get out of listening to DMST or even Old Canes.  I’m very much on board for a vinyl pressing at this point, if it happens.

Glad you like it. Your descriptions about them are accurate, took the words out of my mouth. I really can't wait to listen to their new stuff that will be released soon.

I thought Mogwai Fear Satan is a staple and they  play it in every set. I saw them 3 times too, twice in Malaysia and once in Singapore, and fortunately they played Satan all three times. The best one was when they last came to Malaysia back in 2014, near perfect setlist with Satan as the closer.

12 hours ago, mrewest said:

I know it’s shoegaze but since it was already mentioned here I just wanted to say I listened to that Blankenberge today & holy crap.  Amazing album.

The new one or Radiogaze?  Every time I think I’ve had my fill of Radiogaze and gotten it out of my system, I quickly discover that I haven’t.  Also really warming up to More.

35 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

The new one or Radiogaze?  Every time I think I’ve had my fill of Radiogaze and gotten it out of my system, I quickly discover that I haven’t.  Also really warming up to More.

I was talking about More.  I previously listened to Radiogaze very casually & it didn’t grip me the way More has.  But I’ll definitely have to go back & revisit.

On 4/17/2019 at 3:21 PM, omik11303 said:

Dang, has anyone here heard the new Valerinne album? The band dropped off my radar after Arborescent but this new one is killer. Really good post-metal in the vein of Trna and Tangled Thoughts of Leaving. Vinyl coming in June apparently.

This is definitely one of those very committed listens & I absolutely got TRNA vibes.  This style is tough to listen to for me just because of the sheer length & real lack of variety imo. I can respect it & do enjoy moments of it though.

On 4/17/2019 at 3:21 PM, omik11303 said:

Dang, has anyone here heard the new Valerinne album? The band dropped off my radar after Arborescent but this new one is killer. Really good post-metal in the vein of Trna and Tangled Thoughts of Leaving. Vinyl coming in June apparently.

Did you say TRNA and TTOL? Might be a great weekend to check this out. 

About 10 years from now Owen, you'll likely find your way into the -gaze sector one way or another ... and the ethereal-gaze of PSUB and Blankenberge will click. Really not that far of a leap from subsections of the postrock universe. :)

On 4/17/2019 at 12:12 PM, omik11303 said:

As of today I still hadn't heard anything from Blankenberge. Radiogaze is starting up as I type this - time to see what all the fuss is about...

(EDIT: Nope, not for me. Only made it halfway through, way too dreamy for my tastes unfortunately)

I’m honestly usually not too into the super dreamy stuff like this.  I think that’s why I didn’t immediately “get” Radiogaze, but I think “More” (for lack of a better term) has more meat on the bone.  More melody that sticks in your brain.  

I did go back & enjoy Radiogaze more the other day though.

Radiogaze still takes 2 or 3 songs to gain momentum and take flight, burn once it does I’m hooked through the end.  More continues to get better and better, too.  Overly dreamy and slow shoegaze is something I have to be in a specific mood for, but I feel as though Blankenberge scratch a much broader itch for me.

On 4/17/2019 at 12:20 PM, mrewest said:

Back on thread, came across this band today via IG.  Really digging this EP.  Great mix of clean post-rock & some heavier riffs.

http://bewatersound.bandcamp.com/album/outwardness-lost

I've actually had this sitting idle in my itunes library for who knows how long, but had to come back to it because of your rec. Not much to complain about here, this is very solid stuff. First two tracks give me strong YATC vibes.

23 hours ago, drds89 said:

About 10 years from now Owen, you'll likely find your way into the -gaze sector one way or another ... and the ethereal-gaze of PSUB and Blankenberge will click. Really not that far of a leap from subsections of the postrock universe. :)

I don't doubt it! A few weeks back I actually returned to Sheer's Uneasy - I remember you were all over that record when it first dropped. There's still something there that I really like (even if some of those tracks are auto-skips). It's mostly a toss-up with that kind of shoegaze for me, but I'm always open for recommendations.

Also, as an aside, that new Pillars track is sooo good. I feel like a hypocrite because I feel like I'm always campaigning for more experimentation in post-rock, and that track is about as by-the-book as it gets, but I can't help it. I need a post-rock release to get excited about and I think that might be it.

Edited by omik11303