Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion v.2.0

On 4/17/2019 at 12:12 PM, omik11303 said:

As of today I still hadn't heard anything from Blankenberge. Radiogaze is starting up as I type this - time to see what all the fuss is about...

(EDIT: Nope, not for me. Only made it halfway through, way too dreamy for my tastes unfortunately)

I will say that I listened to Radiogaze for about a year and hated it.  Didn't get it.  I hated their sound, it was too dense and not what I was looking for in that style. 

And then one day something just kind of clicked.  IMO the back half of the album is the best.  I would urge you to at least listen to When > We > Not Enough.  "We" is my favorite song, no question.  It makes me feel like I'm in Flight of the Navigator, surfing through the clouds with Max in the spaceship. 

Re: Pillars, that new track is fire.  Their old album was pretty straightforward post-rock, by the books.  It wasn't bad, but it stole a lot from other bands IMO and I'm really stoked to see them next month at Dunk. 

18 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Radiogaze still takes 2 or 3 songs to gain momentum and take flight, burn once it does I’m hooked through the end.  More continues to get better and better, too.  Overly dreamy and slow shoegaze is something I have to be in a specific mood for, but I feel as though Blankenberge scratch a much broader itch for me.

Yeah I feel you on this, 100%.  Once you get to "Falling Stars" it's fucking go time.  I still need more time with "More" (pun i guess?  haha) but I've liked what I've heard so far. 

On 4/19/2019 at 5:49 PM, drds89 said:

Did you say TRNA and TTOL? Might be a great weekend to check this out. 

About 10 years from now Owen, you'll likely find your way into the -gaze sector one way or another ... and the ethereal-gaze of PSUB and Blankenberge will click. Really not that far of a leap from subsections of the postrock universe. :)

Who is PSUB?  I just googled it and all I got was Purdue Student Union Board XD

Did you guys check the new Harborlights song yet?  This band is a fucking unknown force...  sleepily coming out of Boston and just crushing.  They just signed to Deathwish, and should be poised to blow up.  They have so many songs I love.  Their stuff is about 50/50 with vocals vs. instrumental, and the vocals take some getting used to I think.  Their album "Under the Spreading Chestnut Tree" and "Aphelion" gets TONS of play from me.  Their drummer is very noteworthy, and you can hear his chops in the new track. 

3 minutes ago, mrewest said:

+1 to Gumbo for a friggin Flight of the Navigator drop.  What an amazing movie.

fucking RIGHT?  One of my favorites as a kid... so mysterious.  It's basically 2 movies in one: a suspense thriller and then a feel-good comedy.  Early Sarah Jessica Parker too!

But yeah, "Radiogaze" makes me feel like I'm cruising through the clouds of a clear blue sky in a flying saucer at Mach 3 hahaha.  I love it. 

Also I checked out that Be Water stuff this morning, that was really really good!  Too bad they have no physical media, I would have bought the shit out of that album.  Owen with the YATC vibe was pretty spot-on. 

Over this past week, I've probably averaged close to five hours of writing a day, which isn't relevant at all, but since I listen to music when I write I've been able to listen to a whole slew of albums that I've had on the backburner for ages. This one came up today and I was really pleasantly surprised. For some reason I saw the "jazz" label thrown on these guys in the past and got turned away. Glad I finally listened because the back half of this album is killer:

Saw We Lost the Sea and Russian Circles last night. Great show!

WLTS played what appeared to be 2-3 new tracks, one was quite heavy so not sure if it was maybe a retooled version of an older track. But the new songs were great some dueling keys and guitar building to a massive crescendo in one of them. Also played A Galant Gentleman and Bogatyri.

Russian Circles destroyed sooo heavy live.

Edited by 2notepockets

16 hours ago, 2notepockets said:

WLTS played what appeared to be 2-3 new tracks, one was quite heavy so not sure if it was maybe a retooled version of an older track. But the new songs were great some dueling keys and guitar building to a massive crescendo in one of them. Also played A Galant Gentleman and Bogatyri.

Oh shit!  I hope someone snagged footage of the new tunes! 

They've explicitly stated that they are no longer playing anything from before Departure Songs so it has to be a new tune. 

On 4/22/2019 at 9:13 PM, omik11303 said:

Over this past week, I've probably averaged close to five hours of writing a day, which isn't relevant at all, but since I listen to music when I write I've been able to listen to a whole slew of albums that I've had on the backburner for ages. This one came up today and I was really pleasantly surprised. For some reason I saw the "jazz" label thrown on these guys in the past and got turned away. Glad I finally listened because the back half of this album is killer:

Yup, that's a great record!

On 4/24/2019 at 1:31 AM, 2notepockets said:

best!

New and final Archivist album is coming!  I've been going back and listening to the first 2 albums and I like them a lot more than I did initially, I'll have to pick them up. 
However, I'm wondering if you guys can comment on the sound, if you have them - it sounds like there's no bass frequencies on these albums.  Very strange! 

On 4/24/2019 at 9:31 AM, 2notepockets said:

I can confirm all of this.

The new Russian Circles song was spectacular too, they played at least one song from each record and they tended to be the bangers. 

Oh boy, I really like the new We Lost the Sea stuff. 

I listened to Lost In Kiev, and the whole album is not as cringy as the single, not bad actually, but still not worth a spot on my vinyl shelf sad to say. So I will just keep playing the first two. And maybe their next will find me in the same camp with them.

Edited by drds89
can't spell

2 hours ago, drds89 said:

I listened to Lost In Kiev, and the whole album is not as cringy as the single, not bad actually, but still not worth a spot on my vinyl shelf sad to say. So I will just keep playing the first two. And maybe their next will find me in the same camp with them.

I try to hard with this band and it just doesn't move me.  They aren't bad, I just never feel anything when I listen to them. 

However, THIS new thing gives me LOTS of feels.  If you're in the mood for some heavy-yet-positive post-rock, check this out.  Super fresh sounding, and very creative use of vocals IMO.  I've spun this 3 times today already.  Whole thing is only like 26 mins long so it goes by quick, but man is it engaging. 

https://lonesomeuk.bandcamp.com/

22 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I try to hard with this band and it just doesn't move me.  They aren't bad, I just never feel anything when I listen to them. 

However, THIS new thing gives me LOTS of feels.  If you're in the mood for some heavy-yet-positive post-rock, check this out.  Super fresh sounding, and very creative use of vocals IMO.  I've spun this 3 times today already.  Whole thing is only like 26 mins long so it goes by quick, but man is it engaging. 

https://lonesomeuk.bandcamp.com/

Checking this out now.  This is definitely in your wheel house haha.  Very Pray For Sound-esque.  It’s solid but the straightforward drumming is dragging this down, & also my biggest complaint with post-rock I generally can’t get much into.  There are definitely some nice moments here, & I dig the use of vocals,  but with how ADD I’ve been lately with albums I’m not sure I’ll revisit.

17 hours ago, mrewest said:

Checking this out now.  This is definitely in your wheel house haha.  Very Pray For Sound-esque.  It’s solid but the straightforward drumming is dragging this down, & also my biggest complaint with post-rock I generally can’t get much into.  There are definitely some nice moments here, & I dig the use of vocals,  but with how ADD I’ve been lately with albums I’m not sure I’ll revisit.

Haha yeah I can live with a PFS reference, to me they make me think more of Maybeshewill and GIAA. 

If anybody wants to jump on a group-buy, i'm picking one up for a buddy too and shipping drops down for us!

So this is pretty good shit.  Monograf.  Another IG find.  I feel like it’s one of the more unique bands I’ve checked out lately.  Carries a slightly Middle Eastern vibe to it with some nice electric strings & clean melodies mixed with some beefier riffs in the background at times.  Heavier on the vocals than you normally get in post-rock, but I think it all works really well together.

Couldn’t even find the one song I wanted to link, so just go here & at least check out “The Golden Calf”, if not all of it.

http://monograf.bandcamp.com/album/nadir

Edited by mrewest

@mrewest
Monograf came up on my gf's Youtube playlist like last week, I was enjoying it.  Gotta go back and listen again.  As far as Glasgow Coma Scale, a lot of my Dunk-associated friends CREAMED themselves over it.  I remember liking it, but not enough to buy it.  Will have to revisit! 

New Outlander has been UTTERLY and UTTERLY crushing me.  If you guys haven't fucking listened to this, I'm going to reach through your computer and smack you.  Tracks 2 and 3 especially.   If you like "Tunnel Blanket" or the band A Film In Color, this stuff is right up your alley.  Hypnotic, chill... feels like you took one too many Klonopin.  I cannot praise this material enough. 

https://outlandertheband.bandcamp.com/

3 minutes ago, drds89 said:

Maserati should have their album out this year (I think), finished recording a while ago and snippets sounded like no major deviations.

They are the kings of this style.  I love it, because there's a band called the Disco Biscuits who sound an awful lot like  Maserati to me.  Just spacey, warped trance-inspired rock and roll that peaks as hard as post-rock does.  I love it haha. 

If you like Maserati there stands a good chance you'll like this: 

Edited by Gumbo72203