Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion v.2.0

32 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

where'd you hear that?  I can't find anything on Facebook. 

Newsletter.

What's happening, comrades? 

Philip here, coming to you from a sunny, warm-ish May Monday morning in Beverly, Massachusetts. Certainly has been a minute since we've sent out an update, and since the big picture is starting to get clearer and clearer with each passing day, now seems like a good time to fill everyone in on the latest. Let's get right to it: 

We will be headed down to Studio 4 in Conchohocken, PA to record our new album with Will Yip (La Dispute, Circa Survive, Pianos Become The Teeth) in just 6 days. Over the last year we've had 4 seperate, week long, quite productive full band writing sessions together that ultimately produced around 75 minutes of new material. We plan to be in the studio with Will refining, adjusting, molding and shaping what we came up with and ultimately tracking for a full month. A month will be the longest we’ve devoted to the recording of a Caspian record and we are really looking forward to that. Once tracking and mixing are completed sometime in June / July we’ll share more relevant info on the album’s release. We’d like to keep you updated in real time in the studio, but there’s also a good chance we’ll throw our phones out for a month and keep the heads down. Guess we’ll see. Nonetheless, it’s finally happening and we are looking forward to chasing it down once again. I'm not sure how to describe this material yet. I wouldn't say it's a complete re-invention of our sound, but I wouldn't say it reminds me of any our previous albums. If most of our records have been like reading a novel with 10 chapters, this is a bit more like reading a collection of short stories that possess their own separate circularities, but are of one author.  

Second, this August we will be back in Europe for a short festival run, with some select headline dates in between. We’ll be live debuting new material from the forthcoming album and playing songs spanning our entire discography alongside. Exciting. Tickets are available here and you will definitely want to pick these up as fast as possible. We have a very special album release show this autumn up here in Boston, dates in China, Japan, more Europe, etc. all being charted out right now as well. Rest assured that if we've made it to your city before, we'll most definitely be back over the next yeat. 

On a side note, the positive feedback we've received from you guys over the last year, even during a period of quiet, has really helped keep this ship afloat. We thank you for it. It seems the last few records are still speaking to people with repeated encounters and that's enough to keep us charting a course forward. Thanks and see you soon.

Love,
CASPIAN

ah yes thanks, I just saw it on FB today. 

So, my girlfriend stumbled upon this yesterday which made my ears perk up.  I'm sure you guys all know this band but they were new to me, and man.... it's THE SOUND!  Driving, dancey post-rock.  I can't get enough.  That opening track...

FFO:  Maserati, Baulta, Glasgow Coma Scale

Edited by Gumbo72203

21 hours ago, Derek™ said:

The good news about Caspian recording with Will Yip is that he’ll have minimal vocals to fuck up.  Hope the guitars stay crisp though.

Literally stole the thought from my brain when I read this haha.  If Yip just stuck to shoegaze/post-rock, he’d be perfect.

Sunlotus from Indonesia just dropped their debut album today. Shoegaze with a huge wall of sound.

https://hemalabel.bandcamp.com/album/this-old-house

A friend of mine writes for a local music platform that covers stuff from South East Asia, and below is his review for one of the single:

"Someone I work with has this theory that there are two kinds of shoegaze, namely “hard shoegaze” and “soft shoegaze”. If these categories truly exist, then Sunlotus are definitely an example of the former. The melancholic and soaring melodicism is there, but there’s a real heaviness and cathartic aggression to the song that hints at the members’ other bands (grind titans Deadly Weapon and hardcore/metalcore unit Warmouth) and really reminds me of Cloakroom and earlier Jesu. Definitely a band to keep an eye on."

On 5/9/2019 at 12:02 AM, zaoza said:

Sunlotus from Indonesia just dropped their debut album today. Shoegaze with a huge wall of sound.

https://hemalabel.bandcamp.com/album/this-old-house

A friend of mine writes for a local music platform that covers stuff from South East Asia, and below is his review for one of the single:

"Someone I work with has this theory that there are two kinds of shoegaze, namely “hard shoegaze” and “soft shoegaze”. If these categories truly exist, then Sunlotus are definitely an example of the former. The melancholic and soaring melodicism is there, but there’s a real heaviness and cathartic aggression to the song that hints at the members’ other bands (grind titans Deadly Weapon and hardcore/metalcore unit Warmouth) and really reminds me of Cloakroom and earlier Jesu. Definitely a band to keep an eye on."

Thanks for posting here, as there a few serious shoegaze fans. If you didn't post over on the Shoegaze/Dreampop thread in the main forum, I'd recommend it.  Overall feel from one listen I'd say:  FFO Nothing in the ToT and Whirr/Nothing era.

Agreed very little dreamgaze, more heavygaze with doom in places - those cavernous vocals and minor chords. Track 6 is pretty much a noise tribute to Scott Cortez/Astrobrite.

Track 1 is straight up Hum tribute similar to the way Nothing did on ToT (different Hum track) and some early Whirr. Track 3 is the lightest, maybe GoE era. Nice placement to break up the wall of sound. I like  the vocals too, definitely a sucker for the gloomgaze.

I'll listen again, especially for early Jesu influence.  Any physical medium should work for this album, even cassettes. I don't see vinyl having an advantage and digital is just fine as well.

That beautiful noise :)

13 hours ago, drds89 said:

Track 1 is straight up Hum tribute similar to the way Nothing did on ToT (different Hum track) and some early Whirr.

The riff towards the end of Picturesque sounds almost exactly like the riff in Vertigo Flowers, just slowed down a bit.

As much as I love the Nothing sound, Nothing still does Nothing better than anyone else who tries to do Nothing.

On 5/7/2019 at 2:49 PM, mrewest said:

Literally stole the thought from my brain when I read this haha.  If Yip just stuck to shoegaze/post-rock, he’d be perfect.

deetz on this convo?   I'm unfamiliar with what you guys are talking about. 

In other news, the 2nd new Pillars track is great.  PO went up yesterday, I'll get to making a thread at some point...   life is so busy right now! 

On 5/10/2019 at 1:48 PM, deafening said:

The riff towards the end of Picturesque sounds almost exactly like the riff in Vertigo Flowers, just slowed down a bit.

As much as I love the Nothing sound, Nothing still does Nothing better than anyone else who tries to do Nothing.

On 5/10/2019 at 2:54 PM, Derek™ said:

Agreed.  It’s nothing personal, but they’ve got nothing on Nothing.

On 5/10/2019 at 3:45 PM, mrewest said:

Agree with both Derek & deafening!  I wanted to like Sunlotus more than I did unfortunately.  Just all kind of bled together a bit too much.  

I was trying to be nice and didn't quite think they were 100% copycat Nothing. Dang, y'all! LOL

Seems like I remember some opinions than Newmoon's Space was the album Nothing should have written vs ToT? Hmm? 

Might have to take this over the Shoegaze thread ;)

To keep it post rock, I'd love another Jakob copycat, in addition to  Astralia S/T and Solstice (not all of it), because no one else can do Jeff Boyle's guitar -- unlike EiTS (1001 bands, too easy).  With GY!BE there too many fails, I'd say a select few who have built upon the foundation and made their own sound. Example: TMSJ took Godspeed's eery side and built a seamless discography over many years that I really enjoy when the mood hits.

14 minutes ago, drds89 said:

Seems like I remember some opinions than Newmoon's Space was the album Nothing should have written vs ToT? Hmm? 

This was me.  This is accurate.  Also, still true.  Guilty of Everything is still the most solid Nothing album in my books.  Has them at the peak of their craft, in my opinion.  ToT has some really great cuts, but I do think Space is more consistent start to finish.

3 hours ago, drds89 said:

I was trying to be nice and didn't quite think they were 100% copycat Nothing. Dang, y'all! LOL

Might have to take this over the Shoegaze thread ;)

To keep it post rock, I'd love another Jakob copycat, in addition to  Astralia S/T and Solstice (not all of it), because no one else can do Jeff Boyle's guitar -- unlike EiTS (1001 bands, too easy).  With GY!BE there too many fails, I'd say a select few who have built upon the foundation and made their own sound. Example: TMSJ took Godspeed's eery side and built a seamless discography over many years that I really enjoy when the mood hits.

I've never found anybody besides Astralia that nailed Jakob. 

Jakob is 2 crucial things:  Jeff's guitar swells, and then Jason's hyper-syncopated drum patterns.  The bass brings it all together, but I wouldn't say he does anything terribly unique.  However, therein lies the magic: it doesn't have to be revolutionary to function.  He's the glue behind all of that.  That band is also hyper-frustrating as a fan because they won't sell the stacks of Remastered CDs they have, and the vinyl thing has been held up for what.... 6 years now? 

Also do you mean The Seven Mile Journey?  That band is so fucking good, and under-rated.  You never hear anything about them. 

I’m sadly very underwhelmed with this new Pillars album.  It’s very short for post-rock & just sounds too much like the cleaner parts of Caspian with the heavy moments just seemingly too predictable & pass by without much of a lasting effect.  This is one of those albums that makes me think I’ve just heard too much post-rock in my life.  

But it’s weird because obviously I’ve mentioned a million other bands that sound a like that I’m really into.  But those bands all seem to have moments that stick in my brain & I can specifically say “Oh yeah that’s XXXX band”.  The best moments here just make me think it’s Caspian or the opener which is straight up ITTCT worship.

Edited by mrewest

On 5/17/2019 at 5:56 PM, mrewest said:

I’m sadly very underwhelmed with this new Pillars album.  It’s very short for post-rock & just sounds too much like the cleaner parts of Caspian with the heavy moments just seemingly too predictable & pass by without much of a lasting effect.  This is one of those albums that makes me think I’ve just heard too much post-rock in my life.  

But it’s weird because obviously I’ve mentioned a million other bands that sound a like that I’m really into.  But those bands all seem to have moments that stick in my brain & I can specifically say “Oh yeah that’s XXXX band”.  The best moments here just make me think it’s Caspian or the opener which is straight up ITTCT worship.

Surprised you don't like it. 

I've been playing it non stop for a while now and enjoy it quite a lot actually. Doesn't top Old Solar and A Swarm of the Sun as my 2 favorite post rock records this year though. 

9 hours ago, wisdom81 said:

Surprised you don't like it. 

I've been playing it non stop for a while now and enjoy it quite a lot actually. Doesn't top Old Solar and A Swarm of the Sun as my 2 favorite post rock records this year though. 

I’m honestly surprised too.  Even though “Escape” is pretty much ITTCT’s “The First Fire” remade it’s still a banger.  But “Dissolution” reminds me of Seeress’ “Death Will Come...” just not as good.  “Dying Light” is mind-numbingly boring & lonnnnng. “Black Prayer” feels underdeveloped, “Solace” is a Caspian B-side & “Coda” just comes & goes & wraps up the album way quicker than it should.  I’ll probably just need to step away & give it another listen down the road.

On 5/11/2019 at 7:20 PM, Gumbo72203 said:

Also do you mean The Seven Mile Journey?  That band is so fucking good, and under-rated.  You never hear anything about them. 

Yes. Yes. Yes.

On 5/18/2019 at 11:39 AM, Sasan said:

Just received my TPSQ record from Denovali after the delay. It sounds superb! 

Can't wait!

There is some solid post rock being released, with many mentions in this thread, but not enough to warrant space on the vinyl shelf (there's only so much vinyl one can listen to when working full-time, and the litmus test of "Will I really pull this off the rack especially for a 2xLP?" (even with an automatic TT vs manual).

The world is a better place with this music though, eg Pillars and Glasgow Coma Scale.

Edited by drds89