Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion v.2.0

1 hour ago, Portsi said:

What do you guys think, will Isis`s "Oceanic" and "Panopticon" get a repress in the future? I think 2014 was last time they were released.

I can`t even get the standard 2014 black vinyl anywhere anymore in reasonable price.  People are asking crazy amounts of money for them.

Everything, ever, seems to get reissued at some point or another.  It really boils down to which is more important to you in the present – time or money.  But with that being said, Hydra Head and Robotic Empire are really good about keeping Isis vinyl available.  I would probably just wait it out.  Between Discogs listings and inevitable represses, I see no reason to overpay for a copy.

Surprised to hear 2014-reissues are fetching that much, though.  Genuinely feels like I ordered those just a year or two ago at most.

13 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Everything, ever, seems to get reissued at some point or another.  It really boils down to which is more important to you in the present – time or money.  But with that being said, Hydra Head and Robotic Empire are really good about keeping Isis vinyl available.  I would probably just wait it out.  Between Discogs listings and inevitable represses, I see no reason to overpay for a copy.

Surprised to hear 2014-reissues are fetching that much, though.  Genuinely feels like I ordered those just a year or two ago at most.

I'd say the same, I could bet I ordered recent repressed like no more tha 1 year ago.. the same was with recent Celestial repress, as I recently discovered it's been way older that I though. Represses will come that's for sure.. and as incorrigible Isis completist, I'll buy them, like 30 of each was not enough :D

I am LOVING this Pillars album, thanks for the recommendation. And finally gives me an excuse to order that Tides of Man repress too. 

Anyone else leaning towards these shorter instrumental/post-rock albums? They pack a lot more into a song or album and the length is easily digestible for return listens during rotation in a day/week. No hate on longer albums, I just eat a balance of smaller or normal sized meals, but occasionally one huge fucking lunch that ruins me for the day is nice too!

On 5/21/2019 at 12:19 PM, Portsi said:

What do you guys think, will Isis`s "Oceanic" and "Panopticon" get a repress in the future? I think 2014 was last time they were released.

I can`t even get the standard 2014 black vinyl anywhere anymore in reasonable price.  People are asking crazy amounts of money for them.

On 5/21/2019 at 2:15 PM, Derek™ said:

This was my feeling when they re-pressed "Mosquito Control" last year or whenever - I bought it on Ebay like 3 years ago for $15.  People were asking upwards of $50 for those represses.  Markets are weird!

They'll get to it eventually, I'm sure - once those records hit the 20 year mark we'll see another round of remasters I'm sure.  I still ***VASTLY*** prefer the original mix of Oceanic, but I'm down with the remaster of Panopticon.  The remaster for Oceanic sounds far too clean and separated; it takes away some of that old school feeling for me. 

5 hours ago, whoa said:

I am LOVING this Pillars album, thanks for the recommendation. And finally gives me an excuse to order that Tides of Man repress too. 

Anyone else leaning towards these shorter instrumental/post-rock albums? They pack a lot more into a song or album and the length is easily digestible for return listens during rotation in a day/week. No hate on longer albums, I just eat a balance of smaller or normal sized meals, but occasionally one huge fucking lunch that ruins me for the day is nice too!

You need to check out the new Outlander album - 5 songs, maybe 30 mins total.  It fucking CRUSHES. 

Album of the year so far for me, I think. 

New Oh, Hiroshima album is up for pre-order, with the first track streaming:

https://ohhiroshima.bandcamp.com/album/oscillation

This'll probably be good. I was a fan of their first one but not enough to splurge $30-$35 for the vinyl. This new album is gonna clock in right around 50 minutes and this is the shortest cut, so I'd say it's impossible to gauge how the rest of the album will sound... still excited nonetheless.

1 hour ago, omik11303 said:

This'll probably be good. I was a fan of their first one but not enough to splurge $30-$35 for the vinyl. This new album is gonna clock in right around 50 minutes and this is the shortest cut, so I'd say it's impossible to gauge how the rest of the album will sound... still excited nonetheless.

This first song sounds like a B side from ‘Resistance Is Futile’ aka a regression in sound.  Hope the rest of the album builds off of ‘In Silence We Yearn’ more than this first song.  Don’t get me wrong I like ‘Resistance...’ but it sounds like a first album.  ‘In Silence...’ is pretty perfect from start to finish.

On 5/30/2019 at 9:54 PM, omik11303 said:

Listened to that first song while in my hotel in Amsterdam.  I wasn't super into it, but I'll have to check it again.  My friend had just broken his ankle and was getting it X-rayed and put in a cast at the ER.  Made the trip very interesting!

Kokomo played 4 new songs, This Patch of Sky played 3 new songs, A Swarm of the Sun fucking destroyed, Baulta played a new song, SILENT WHALE played Canopy and Architeuthis in between Dies Irae and Lacrymosa, Wang Wen is a fucking powerhouse of a live band, and Shy Low played 2 new songs. 

Seriously people, you need to freaking go to Dunk.  I can't stress enough how much of a dream it is.  Get out of your houses!!!  XD XD

Dunk will be doing the new Kokomo sometime this Fall, new Baulta this fall, new Ranges this fall, new TPOS this fall, and....  fuck, there was more, but I forget. 

3 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Kokomo played 4 new songs, This Patch of Sky played 3 new songs, A Swarm of the Sun fucking destroyed, Baulta played a new song, SILENT WHALE played Canopy and Architeuthis in between Dies Irae and Lacrymosa, Wang Wen is a fucking powerhouse of a live band, and Shy Low played 2 new songs. 

Did any good bands play though?

On 6/3/2019 at 8:25 PM, Gumbo72203 said:

Listened to that first song while in my hotel in Amsterdam.  I wasn't super into it, but I'll have to check it again.  My friend had just broken his ankle and was getting it X-rayed and put in a cast at the ER.  Made the trip very interesting!

Seriously people, you need to freaking go to Dunk.  I can't stress enough how much of a dream it is.  Get out of your houses!!!  XD XD

Dunk will be doing the new Kokomo sometime this Fall, new Baulta this fall, new Ranges this fall, new TPOS this fall, and....  fuck, there was more, but I forget. 

I watched some of the TPOS set on Dunk’s FB & definitely thought I heard some new songs.  I enjoyed what I heard.  Definitely sounded like a continuation of TSS though, so I’m hoping it’s an upgrade.  Bums me out they don’t play any pre S/T songs live though.  

On 5/24/2019 at 7:27 AM, mrewest said:

LITE has been very hit or miss for me but everything I’ve heard from this new album so far has been fantastic.  Plus I love the cover art & most limited variant.  PO’d earlier this week.

Echoing this hard.  I enjoy some (but not all) of LITE’s material, and would say the new album is a really solid addition to their discography.  Even the left-field soul track was done well and adds a memorable angle.

On 6/4/2019 at 12:13 AM, Derek™ said:

Did any good bands play though?

Eh, a few. 

13 hours ago, mrewest said:

I watched some of the TPOS set on Dunk’s FB & definitely thought I heard some new songs.  I enjoyed what I heard.  Definitely sounded like a continuation of TSS though, so I’m hoping it’s an upgrade.  Bums me out they don’t play any pre S/T songs live though.  

Yeah, I was liking the new stuff.  I'm always on Kit's case about playing the old stuff and they just have no interest.  I'd like to hear ONE song, just ONCE, from Newly Risen lol.  Probably not going to ever happen, most of the people on that record aren't even in the band anymore afaik. 

The new songs...  hmmmm....  i don't know if I'd characterize them as a continuation of TSS, especially the new one with the drum samples, but I need to go back and check again.  One of the new songs DID have Kit playing regular guitar on it, which is a HUGE change - he's been loathe to play just regular guitar without tons of pedal washes on, so I'm liking that development. 

On another note, Pillars crushed.  They could have easily been a sub-headliner like Kokomo.  They played Go Mordecai, Mit Apfelwhatever it is, Kill The Captain, and Kaput Finker to close.  It was awesome. 

Staghorn's new song was amazing also.  Big year for post-rock coming up!

On 5/18/2019 at 11:39 AM, Sasan said:

Just received my TPSQ record from Denovali after the delay. It sounds superb! 

Got mine this past weekend and third time through I'm enjoying it more and more, as expected a  grower. Its slower pace overall and beautiful vocals contrast nicely with the harder riff tunes.

I like the new Oh Hiroshima track. Will wait for the whole thing before buying vinyl though. To this day, when listening to RIF and "Richard D Anderson" comes, I swear it's Maserati.

3 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Echoing this hard.  I enjoy some (but not all) of LITE’s material, and would say the new album is a really solid addition to their discography.  Even the left-field soul track was done well and adds a memorable angle.

Yep finished listening to the whole thing earlier & I wasn’t disappointed.  The best thing was an extended “Zone”.  That song RIPPED last year but was painfully short.  Stoked to get the vinyl in.

1 hour ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Eh, a few. 

Yeah, I was liking the new stuff.  I'm always on Kit's case about playing the old stuff and they just have no interest.  I'd like to hear ONE song, just ONCE, from Newly Risen lol.  Probably not going to ever happen, most of the people on that record aren't even in the band anymore afaik. 

Yeah I don’t really get that.  I understand when bands completely change their sound like Tides of Man but TPOS’s old stuff isn’t far off from the new stuff.  And tbh Newly Risen & Heroes are far better albums than TSS.  S/T is unfuckwithable tho.

22 hours ago, mrewest said:

Yeah I don’t really get that.  I understand when bands completely change their sound like Tides of Man but TPOS’s old stuff isn’t far off from the new stuff.  And tbh Newly Risen & Heroes are far better albums than TSS.  S/T is unfuckwithable tho.

Yeah Newly Risen is my favorite haha.  Maybe someday!  I also like Heroes & Ghosts a lot too.  S/T is great but the same drum beat annoys me after a while - the dude literally had like one thing he did lol.  Katya is great though, she's crushing all the tunes.  I understand it a little bit though, being in a band.  Sometimes you just want to forget about old material that feels super awkward for you to play.  But, my band plays some tunes often simply because the audience likes it and I understand that you need to cater to that element as well.  It's a balance. 

On 6/5/2019 at 1:40 PM, drds89 said:

Are they still active?

Eh, I don't know if "active" is the right word but they're playing a massive 10-year anniversary show on August 24th.  I can't go cuz my band has a gig which i fucking hate but.... so it goes.  They'll never make new material, but they'll do the reunion gig every couple years. 

Can't wait for that vinyl though!!!

You can pick up Oh Hiroshima material for 10% off from Napalm with code GLORY10 through tomorrow. 

Also, I think you guys were the ones who hipped me to Fourteen Nights at Sea - I *may* have orchestrated a re-union/proper retirement show at Dunk for next year.  Stay tuned.  If you guys like that band as much as me, the time is now!

Also, you guys should have made me listen to Wang Wen more!!!!  They were the biggest surprise of Dunk for me.  I can't stop listening to Invisible City.  It's amazing. 

So....  Post. Festival just announced the lineup, and mannnnnn.......  this is silly.  What a list.  I'm not sure I'll be able to go, due to student teaching, but you guys need to get your butts out there and support this music.  Only $45 for a weekend pass right now!  Like....  fuck. 

Holy Fawn, Ranges, Shy Low, Pray For Sound, Lowercase Noises, Wander, O' Brother.....   more more more

Ticket link: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/post-festival-2019-tickets-63064336127?fbclid=IwAR0-9M35a_CDzKl2XNWXg8pTg2e2TELxSweCYfDikB9z0BPP8BhGYPk5fKk

Digging the hell out of that lineup.  Not at all “Dunk-core” haha.  Really pumped about O’Brother & Spotlights.  And Shy, Low.  Plus I just listened to the new Driving Slow Motion (mentioned several times here) & that new album is killer.  And duh, Holy Fawn!

I’ll be all over this one.

Edited by mrewest