Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion v.2.0

Been revisiting some Topshelf hidden gems and stumbled on Pretend after listening to Tapestry'd Life ages ago. They just remastered their first album and put it out on vinyl for the first time. Listened to it for the first time today and was pretty impressed. 

http://pre-end.com/bits/

Edited by dapeebs

Pretend are the shit.  I will realistically end up grabbing that sooner than later.

New PSOTY teasers seem to be revealing the album art and possible title.  “OIL” was the hint the other day, and “BLOOD” was the latest text clue.  Sounds like they’ve been spending a little too much time listening to Thrice.

On 7/21/2019 at 5:31 PM, mrewest said:

I’m really digging this new Heron album.  Heavier ambience with beautiful clean guitars.  “The Void” is gorgeous.

http://heronband.bandcamp.com/album/sun-release

Yeah i'm liking this a lot too.  It feels more same-y to other bands, but it's very well done and I'm liking it.  I wasn't in love with the sound of the jangly guitars on the first one, but this is good stuff.  Ender is a sick song though. 

2 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Yeah i'm liking this a lot too.  It feels more same-y to other bands, but it's very well done and I'm liking it.  I wasn't in love with the sound of the jangly guitars on the first one, but this is good stuff.  Ender is a sick song though. 

Ended rips.  Just watched them on their live IG & they sounded great.

This new Oh Hiroshima just isn’t doing it for me.  I feel like everything I loved on In Silence is gone.  That album felt like a complete, fully fleshed out album.  This sounds like a mix of ideas that they had without knowing how to really write the songs.  And as I said before it reminds me of their first album, not In Silence.  Very disappointed.

Man, I can’t totally jive with the vocals and their production on that new PSOTY.  They’re a little too clean on FOU, but I can stomach them because they’re not overly dominant, and the songs themselves spring off into great instrumental passages.  I didn’t really pick up on that with this new track.  The guitars and general musicianship sound nice and heavy, sure, but on first listen I wasn’t really moved by anything.  I’ll still check out the album but I’m apprehensive to say the least.

I will say though, that for as “basic” as black vinyl can sometimes be perceived, there really is no better colorway for an album called Sunless.  Nice fit.

PSOTY track sounds alot like Latitudes with the vocals; UK brethren

Glaciers didn't blow me away, but will garner some other listens

Liked the Ranges track the best of the new stuff so far, but Pray For Sound sure did change up their direction - just one listen, I'm definitely going to revisit.

edit: The Ascent Of Everest - man are they advertising like crazy on IG

Edited by drds89

On 7/26/2019 at 7:52 PM, Derek™ said:

Man, I can’t totally jive with the vocals and their production on that new PSOTY.  They’re a little too clean on FOU, but I can stomach them because they’re not overly dominant, and the songs themselves spring off into great instrumental passages.  I didn’t really pick up on that with this new track.  The guitars and general musicianship sound nice and heavy, sure, but on first listen I wasn’t really moved by anything.  I’ll still check out the album but I’m apprehensive to say the least.

I will say though, that for as “basic” as black vinyl can sometimes be perceived, there really is no better colorway for an album called Sunless.  Nice fit.

i'm glad you felt this way too because i wasn't into that new PSOTY track at all.  It's not bad, but it's nothing like what I wanted/expected from them.  Very big departure, but i guess that's to be expected after nearly 6 years......

So I’m the only one super into that PSOTY song?  Yeah the vocals are there waaaay more than I expected but I honestly think they mesh perfectly with those crushing riffs.  Dude has a good voice & I love how it subtly builds to the heavier screams at the end.  Definitely metalcoreish but I dunno it all works for me.

On 8/1/2019 at 10:13 PM, mrewest said:

So I’m the only one super into that PSOTY song?  Yeah the vocals are there waaaay more than I expected but I honestly think they mesh perfectly with those crushing riffs.  Dude has a good voice & I love how it subtly builds to the heavier screams at the end.  Definitely metalcoreish but I dunno it all works for me.

I’m with you. I thought it was a solid track - pretty much exactly what I was looking for from them.

yeah i mean i really want to hear what else they've got but it wasn't what I was looking for when I think PSOTY. 

In other news....  Skarntyde repress with new cover art!!!!   One of the best post-rock albums ever and should be in everyone's collection.

https://spurv.bandcamp.com/album/skarntyde

0017006571_10.jpg

6 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Also....  i need to bump this again because I can't fucking get enough of this.  Album of the year slot for me as of right now. 

"The Valium Machine" is exactly what you'd think it would sound like.  Pure doomgaze bliss. 

https://outlandertheband.bandcamp.com/

I’ll check this out solely because this writeup is my shit.

The 4-piece combine elements drawn from the post-rock blueprint - laid out by Mogwai and Godspeed You! Black Emperor - with aspects of the moody indie rock championed by Low and Codeine, resulting in sparse, starkly drawn out instrumentals.

17 hours ago, Derek™ said:

I’ll check this out solely because this writeup is my shit.

Dude, I know I fluff a lot of stuff but this material is utterly amazing.  I'm surprised you haven't gotten to it yet.  I was introduced to them via their previous single release which was Downtime and Plans, both of which are amazing. 

I listened to The Valium Machine....  4 times yesterday?  I think?  It just doesn't get old.

It should be a punishable offense to draw comparisons to Godspeed when you sound nothing like Godspeed.  It’s such a cheap, overplayed descriptor.  At this point I read it and roll my eyes or instantly think “okay, so they probably have a violinist”.

Honestly though, I don’t want to jinx it since I’m only 2 tracks in, but I’m really enjoying it.  It’s the first thing Gumby’s pitched in a long, long time that’s actually done anything for me.  Not yet picking up on the Tunnel Blanket vibes... if anything, I’m hearing that emphasis on slowcore.  It feels like the tamest parts of earlier Deafheaven in all its lethargic, shoegaze, dreamy glory... and I’m way into that.  Drown started a few minutes ago and I’m enjoyably lost in it as I write this.  Hoping the consistency stays up, this is doing it for me.

Yeah that was pretty fucking good.  Add me to the personal Gumbo notification squad if that (or TRNA’s Earthcult) ever get a vinyl press, please.  I’ll be revisiting it for sure.

For me, Tunnel Blanket is more about textures and atmosphere.  There is a shoegaze element to it, yeah, but those guitars are straight-up behemoth.  There are also some ambient cuts in there, with some very crystalline detours.  It’s a great album but it’s nothing like Valium Machine to my ears.  This is that kind of “sunlight creeping in through the blinds while napping on a Sunday by the ocean” mood.  I get strong Roads to Judah vibes, but I’d like to emphasize that it’s without any of RTJ’s relentless drumming, whirling tremolo, or shrieked vocals.  To me, it’s like the dreamy appeal of Violet’s intro on that album... but uncoiled and strung out for 40+ minutes.  I really enjoy it.  I don’t know if any “chill shoegaze” has quite nailed that sound for me as much as this does.

Edited by Derek™

On 8/5/2019 at 7:49 PM, Gumbo72203 said:

Also....  i need to bump this again because I can't fucking get enough of this.  Album of the year slot for me as of right now. 

"The Valium Machine" is exactly what you'd think it would sound like.  Pure doomgaze bliss. 

https://outlandertheband.bandcamp.com/

Nice stuff, man! But I agree with the rest....zero GY!BE vibes in there...still great!

22 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Yeah that was pretty fucking good.  Add me to the personal Gumbo notification squad if that (or TRNA’s Earthcult) ever get a vinyl press, please.  I’ll be revisiting it for sure.

For me, Tunnel Blanket is more about textures and atmosphere.  There is a shoegaze element to it, yeah, but those guitars are straight-up behemoth.  There are also some ambient cuts in there, with some very crystalline detours.  It’s a great album but it’s nothing like Valium Machine to my ears.  This is that kind of “sunlight creeping in through the blinds while napping on a Sunday by the ocean” mood.  I get strong Roads to Judah vibes, but I’d like to emphasize that it’s without any of RTJ’s relentless drumming, whirling tremolo, or shrieked vocals.  To me, it’s like the dreamy appeal of Violet’s intro on that album... but uncoiled and strung out for 40+ minutes.  I really enjoy it.  I don’t know if any “chill shoegaze” has quite nailed that sound for me as much as this does.

Glad you're digging it!  I don't get Tunnel Blanket vibes at all either.  I also think these guys pre-date A Film In Color but I'm not entirely sure.  Their old singles, which sound pretty much like The Valium Machine, pre-date the last A Film In Color release so I don't think you can say they're copying them. 

But yeah, this "Chill shoegaze" stuff is my fucking bread and butter right now.  I can't get enough of it.  "Drown" is probably my favorite, but the end of "Threadbare" is also no joke.  I sent the record to the Elusive guys...  we'll see.  This deserves the vinyl treatment, imagine how huge that would sound. 

I've not yet really found a band that gives me the sonic equivalent of what it felt like when I was 16 and popping hydros left and right...   it's pretty spot on.  The warmth... the secure caccoon feeling...  the slow drowsiness...  it's all there. 

On 8/7/2019 at 5:58 PM, Derek™ said:

I guess I should at least check out Film In Color.  And the Outlander EP while I’m at it.

Well said though.  And these guys would be a great fit with Elusive, no doubt.  I think Valium and the new Blankenberge are probably my favorite “nugaze” releases of this year, so far.

yeah, a lot of people like the newest A Film in Color and it's very good, but THAT one is very much Tunnel Blanket worship and it's good for what it is, but I don't love that style.  Outlander is much more accessible and has regular-sounding guitars instead of the wall of noise turbine thing.  Not sure if you'd like it or not honestly.