Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion v.2.0

In other news, The Shaking Sensations quietly dropped another solid new track a few weeks ago. Probably my most anticipated instrumental release late in the year. Proof that meat-and-potatoes post-rock can still be done well. 

Also, for any post-metal fans in here the new Cranial album seems like it’s gonna be huge. First track is so dense, so riff-heavy. I love it. http://thesludgelord.bandcamp.com/album/alternate-endings

Edited by omik11303

On 8/13/2019 at 8:28 AM, omik11303 said:

In other news, The Shaking Sensations quietly dropped another solid new track a few weeks ago. Probably my most anticipated instrumental release late in the year. Proof that meat-and-potatoes post-rock can still be done well. 

Also, for any post-metal fans in here the new Cranial album seems like it’s gonna be huge. First track is so dense, so riff-heavy. I love it. http://thesludgelord.bandcamp.com/album/alternate-endings

Cranial gets an official thumbs up from me. Thanks for posting!

On 8/21/2019 at 5:20 AM, Derek™ said:

Godspeed’s back on the menu, my guys.  Just got back from catching them workshop at least 2 new tracks.  One of the songs is basically Storm 2.0 and it’s nothing short of glorious.  I’m extremely pleased with both.

Just came here to post!  We got audio!!!  The first song, Glacier, is a moody stomp that is pretty enjoyable.  However, Derek seems to be referring to "Cliff" which is a longer cut but features a return to Godspeed playing major key stuff.  It's pretty good.  It takes a while to get itself going, and has some fat to be trimmed IMO but it's very nice to hear Godspeed playing some major key music again. 

On 8/16/2019 at 2:51 PM, Gumbo72203 said:

I fucked around and forgot to buy one. 

But... I’m still going at least Saturday (Friday could be tough but convince me to get there and I’ll make it happen).

Anyways. Post casual here. Going to the show. Who should I be checking out while there (and researching before)?  Basically only know O’Brother and Holy Fawn going into it.

19 hours ago, dantheriver said:

But... I’m still going at least Saturday (Friday could be tough but convince me to get there and I’ll make it happen).

Anyways. Post casual here. Going to the show. Who should I be checking out while there (and researching before)?  Basically only know O’Brother and Holy Fawn going into it.

Okay holy fuck dude.  Friday has Au Revoir, Shy Low, PRAY FOR SOUND and Ranges.  You need to fucking see those bands.  Shy, Low and Au Revoir are some of the heaviest and moodiest post-whatever bands, and are absolutely amazing.  Pray For Sound may just be the most upbeat post-rock band ever, and are completely FUN.  Ranges is moody and powerful and heavy and fairly stereotypical, but done incredibly well. 

To miss those 4 bands is a big mistake.  Shy, Low is essentially the main reason I'm flying out there :)

24 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Okay holy fuck dude.  Friday has Au Revoir, Shy Low, PRAY FOR SOUND and Ranges.  You need to fucking see those bands.  Shy, Low and Au Revoir are some of the heaviest and moodiest post-whatever bands, and are absolutely amazing.  Pray For Sound may just be the most upbeat post-rock band ever, and are completely FUN.  Ranges is moody and powerful and heavy and fairly stereotypical, but done incredibly well. 

To miss those 4 bands is a big mistake.  Shy, Low is essentially the main reason I'm flying out there :)

Oh yea I know Shy, Low as well. Caught them in Richmond a few years back. Very cool! Sounds like I’m gonna need to make Friday happen too. Sweet!

16 hours ago, dantheriver said:

Oh yea I know Shy, Low as well. Caught them in Richmond a few years back. Very cool! Sounds like I’m gonna need to make Friday happen too. Sweet!

Yeah you can come find @mrewest and I to hang!  Pray For Sound has a new album coming out right around then, and it's banging.  They're amazing. 

You need this song too: 

On 8/25/2019 at 3:02 AM, dantheriver said:

Spotlights is my number 1 to see for the weekend.  Thicccccc dense heavy riffage for days.  Their newest album is in my top 5 for the year so far.

3 hours ago, mrewest said:

Spotlights is my number 1 to see for the weekend.  Thicccccc dense heavy riffage for days.  Their newest album is in my top 5 for the year so far.

Spotlights, huh? Why is this my first time hearing about this record? Well, just pressed play because "Thicccccc dense heavy riffage for days" is right up my alley. 

On 8/27/2019 at 2:47 AM, pemulis said:

Spotlights, huh? Why is this my first time hearing about this record? Well, just pressed play because "Thicccccc dense heavy riffage for days" is right up my alley. 

Haha hope you dug it.  I wasn’t too much into them before this album, but this one slays.

This new PSOTY fucking SLAYS.  It’s like Fragments but cranked to 11.  I’m into the vocals a lot, but they don’t dominate the album.  There are a couple instrumemtals & long periods in the songs with no vocals, so if you don’t dig them, maybe they’re sparse enough to not hurt the album for you.

As a whole I will say the songs are a bit one dimensional & at least the first time through can be hard to separate from each other, but it’s just so LOUD & dense I don’t really mind.  The first real tempo change doesn’t hit until a couple minutes into the 3rd track, but it hits right before things get stale

imo.

My other minor gripe is that there isn’t a lot of depth to the drum beats, but this album is definitely about the nuclear guitars & bass.  Which btw, definitely some moments of Tool-esque bass in here.  A nice element especially after getting back into Tool casually lately.

Listen to this one cranked as loud as you can.   I wasn’t gonna splurge on vinyl but I may have to change that.

”Queen of Hades” is my early favorite.  That’s when that Tool bass really kicks in & then it’s filled in with like shoegaze-post-metal.

Edited by mrewest