Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion v.2.0

27 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

more TPOS news....  

Katya, the new drummer, also announced her departure.  Which sucks because they had a TON of new songs they played at Dunk! and were ready to record literally next month.  They were good tunes.

I don’t understand breaking up the whole band because of one bad seed?  Can they not replace him?

2 hours ago, mrewest said:

I don’t understand breaking up the whole band because of one bad seed?  Can they not replace him?

Well...  my guess is that since the perpetrator was kind of the mastermind behind the band, they don't want to work with them anymore.  Not sure.  We'll learn more next week I'm sure at Post. Fest.

EDIT:   Update, TPOS formal disbanding announcement.  So sad.  Such a waste. 

https://www.facebook.com/thispatchofsky/

Edited by Gumbo72203

On 9/24/2019 at 8:42 AM, Mr Mojo said:

pg.lost on Facebook yesterday:

spacer.png

So here's the full story:

It feels like yesterday. We borrowed a house of some friends that weren’t there over the summer and we set up our stuff in the attic. There we recorded what became ”In Never Out” and it’s now already ten years since we released it.

This we want to celebrate by playing the whole record from top to bottom on a small intimate show in our hometown Norrköping. It will take place on the 9th of November at the legendary ”Hålan”. Because of the small size of the venue and that we want to keep it intimate we will only release a certain amount of tickets for this show. If you would like to come then write us an email at [email protected] and we’ll get back to you all if you’ve landed a spot on the list and with more information. All the best! /Gustav, Kristian, Martin & Mattias

On 9/21/2019 at 10:35 AM, mrewest said:

I actually like it better than RC too.  I love Blood Year, but this is a better full album imo.

Got my vinyl from juno yesterday, along with Rev Rev Rev today - UK shipments without incident!! New jams for the weekend - pyschgaze and postmetal.

Not sure if it's been discussed here, but I stumbled across the new (and apparently final) Her Name is Calla album recently and am really digging it.  

https://hernameiscalla.bandcamp.com/album/animal-choir

https://dunkrecords.com/collections/dunk-records-on-vinyl/products/her-name-is-calla-animal-choir-2xlp

Ranges aesthetics > Ranges songs 🤷‍♂️

Thought they would push themselves on this new one but it’s literally The Ascensionist Pt 2 which was already generic af.  Very safe post-rock.

At least it sounds like Ranges & they have a bit of a distinctive flair, unlike Pillars.

1 hour ago, mrewest said:

Ranges aesthetics > Ranges songs 🤷‍♂️

Thought they would push themselves on this new one but it’s literally The Ascensionist Pt 2 which was already generic af.  Very safe post-rock.

At least it sounds like Ranges & they have a bit of a distinctive flair, unlike Pillars.

This is exactly how I have felt but never knew how to articulate it. Thanks for that.

9 minutes ago, pemulis said:

This is exactly how I have felt but never knew how to articulate it. Thanks for that.

It’s frustrating knowing this band has talent but just can’t quite harness it properly.  As I’ve stated many times, I dig “basic” post-rock if it has unique/interesting moments that stick with you.  This just all blends together. I dunno I’ll give it a couple listens but nothing really grabbed me.

On 9/30/2019 at 9:58 PM, mrewest said:

It’s frustrating knowing this band has talent but just can’t quite harness it properly.  As I’ve stated many times, I dig “basic” post-rock if it has unique/interesting moments that stick with you.  This just all blends together. I dunno I’ll give it a couple listens but nothing really grabbed me.

That's fair.  I can't get into Russian Circles like you guys all do, same with Pelican.  Pelican bores me to tears.  Ranges, yes...  very "standard" post-rock but i like their aesthetic and they work hard and the music isn't bad by any means, and I like that they're pushing themselves with the faster drums.  They've earned where they're at.  Not every band can be Caspian-level creative. 

On 9/29/2019 at 5:10 PM, omik11303 said:

Some solid, dreamy post-metal that got released this week: https://e-l-r.bandcamp.com/

Checking this now.  Also, my friend is dating a dude from this Toronto post-metal band called Sarin who sounds shockingly, SHOCKINGLY like Isis.  Like, if I played you this album and said it was Aaron Turner, you wouldn't be able to tell i was lying.  Very good stuff. 

https://sarin.bandcamp.com/

EDIT:  I like this E-L-R stuff a lot but the term post-metal always makes me think of Isis/Rosetta/COL and this is NOT that.  It's more like Alcest, which is awesome.  I'd call it blackgaze.  Fans of TRNA and Show Me A Dinosaur are gonna like this.  Rooted in the hypnotic grooves of black metal.  I dig it!!

Edited by Gumbo72203

12 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Checking this now.  Also, my friend is dating a dude from this Toronto post-metal band called Sarin who sounds shockingly, SHOCKINGLY like Isis.  Like, if I played you this album and said it was Aaron Turner, you wouldn't be able to tell i was lying.  Very good stuff. 

https://sarin.bandcamp.com/

Man, this does sound a lot like A Turner. They even include ISIS as a bandcamp tag. Ha! Aside from his vocals, it's isn't too much of an ISIS clone. It is pretty good! Thanks for sharing.

Somehow I've managed to miss this thread until yesterday. I guess I haven't ventured out of the main vinyl boards. Some really great stuff on here. Thank you everyone.

I'm going to do some shameless self promotion here since I think a lot of you might like it but I play in a band called CAVALLO. We have a new album that was put out over the summer on POST. Recordings. We're on the heavier (and mathier) side of the post rock spectrum.

"A heady mixture of classic cinematic post-rock, aggressively punchy math rock, and noodly prog." - Heavy Blog is Heavy

Check it out here if you're interested. We have CDs and we also pressed it in a deluxe vinyl package.

CAVALLO.bandcamp.com

We also don't play that many shows but we have a few coming up in and around NYC that are real good lineups.

Oct 25th @ Arlene's Grocery - Manhattan, NY w/ Aiming for Enrike
Nov15th @ State House - New Haven, CT w/ GLACIER, Pray For Sound, Wess Meets West
Nov 17th @ Gold Sounds - Brooklyn, NY (2PM matinee show) w/ East of the Wall, GLACIER, Wess Meets West, Hundreds of AU

Let me know what you think.

Thank you!

Warning: APPRECIATION POST

I just want to take this opportunity to thank whoever posted the Spotlights link in here a month or so ago.  You deserve a gold star for it because it is wicked awesome. I've been listening to it a lot and I think it has staying power for me.It strikes the perfect balance between heavy (guitar) and gaze (vocals). It's recommendations like these that keep me coming back, because there is no way I would have found it otherwise. So, a general thanks for all those who post and continue to post new bands. 

On 10/3/2019 at 10:07 PM, pemulis said:

Warning: APPRECIATION POST

I just want to take this opportunity to thank whoever posted the Spotlights link in here a month or so ago.  You deserve a gold star for it because it is wicked awesome. I've been listening to it a lot and I think it has staying power for me.It strikes the perfect balance between heavy (guitar) and gaze (vocals). It's recommendations like these that keep me coming back, because there is no way I would have found it otherwise. So, a general thanks for all those who post and continue to post new bands. 

THAT WAS ME I TAKE ALL CREDIT 😉.  Sometimes I think no one else loves the bands I REALLY love so I’m glad to hear how much you’re digging.  Their new one is in my top 5 of the year for sure.

I get to see them today at Post Fest & I’m so jacked!