Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion v.2.0

5 minutes ago, pemulis said:

Ooh. That's a good track. 

If you haven’t checked out Sisters Of, they’ve got an LP and an EP that are worth your time.  They were put on my radar because Aaron Coker (of Appleseed Cast fame), but the project has become its own animal and I’m into it.

On 10/26/2019 at 4:05 AM, Derek™ said:

If you haven’t checked out Sisters Of, they’ve got an LP and an EP that are worth your time.  They were put on my radar because Aaron Coker (of Appleseed Cast fame), but the project has become its own animal and I’m into it.

Thanks for the heads up. I dug their ep and LP. Glad to hear some new stuff. 

Last year Holy Fawn hijacked my musical brain. I enjoyed all my other albums, but had to listen to them almost daily.

This year it has been Brutus. While not postrock/metal per se, their guitarist incorporates postrock style of tremolo picking or heavy atmospheric sounds into most of their tracks - so I thought OK to post here for recommendation. He can do mathy stuff really well (track March from Burst, 2017) and even punk type riffage as well. 'Nest' is going to be AOTY for me, even with great releases from PSOTY, WLTS, Alcest, and even going to win over Be Forest's ethereal dreamgaze addiction, Knocturne. Plus, there's Whirr that just came out and I have not listened yet, Lacing just out last night, and who knows what else before year's end. Cloudkicker has seemed to have been pushed in the background, and I'm leaving out others like Tennis System, etc.

6 hours ago, drds89 said:

Last year Holy Fawn hijacked my musical brain. I enjoyed all my other albums, but had to listen to them almost daily.

This year it has been Brutus. While not postrock/metal per se, their guitarist incorporates postrock style of tremolo picking or heavy atmospheric sounds into most of their tracks - so I thought OK to post here for recommendation. He can do mathy stuff really well (track March from Burst, 2017) and even punk type riffage as well. 'Nest' is going to be AOTY for me, even with great releases from PSOTY, WLTS, Alcest, and even going to win over Be Forest's ethereal dreamgaze addiction, Knocturne. Plus, there's Whirr that just came out and I have not listened yet, Lacing just out last night, and who knows what else before year's end. Cloudkicker has seemed to have been pushed in the background, and I'm leaving out others like Tennis System, etc.

Brutus has just never clicked with me.  But I’ve only listened to both albums once.  The singer doesn’t mesh with my musical “palate”.  But it’s on my list of many many things from this year I need to revisit.

Cloudkicker has a nice unique intro in “Night”, 2 great songs (Xaoc, Void), and the rest is pretty forgettable imo (I still don’t quite get why “YHWH” is basically just a rewritten “You Could Laugh Forever...”.  It’s definitely an EP & not sure why it’s labeled as an LP.  Ahh well.  Still waiting on the vinyl which I’m all over.

But it’s been a killer day of releases today.  I really hope someone else checks out IBTS.  I know that style rends to get pretty “jammy” & samesies with the songs but his talent is fully on display & the number of notes he crams into several riffs is pretty astonishing.

Vaudlow released a pretty solid album today as well.  More cinematic with a nice mix of ambient & electronics.  

Really liked Lacing first time through.

Oddly enough Tennis System kind of nose-dived hard off a cliff quickly after I was pretty into it early on.  May have just caught me on the wrong day last time I listened.  But I do long for the dreamier sounds from TB.  New PTP session out today though which breathed new life into 4 of the songs.

Edited by mrewest

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2019 at 11:15 AM, Gumbo72203 said:

Okay so i'm not sure how this one slipped our radars, but man......  the Cult of Luna is strong in this one. 

Pretty sure Don mentioned this one to me a loooong time ago. I could have him mistaken for someone else, but this cover art looks very familiar.

Both the new Pray for Sound and Kokomo albums are first-class. I love the energy in Waves, especially the last two songs.

11 hours ago, omik11303 said:

Pretty sure Don mentioned this one to me a loooong time ago. I could have him mistaken for someone else, but this cover art looks very familiar.

Both the new Pray for Sound and Kokomo albums are first-class. I love the energy in Waves, especially the last two songs.

Everything about everything you just said.  I think I've listened to Allochiria before but fuuuuuck I cannot get ENOUGH of this fucking band now!  It's like the hypno-grooves of Isis mixed with the spacey Jakob waves and Cult of Luna structural foundations.  Cannot stop. 

Also yes to PFS and Kokomo.  Don't have a favorite Kokomo song yet but I am 100% in love with "Talus" and "Waves" from Waves.  Dancey post-rock FTW.

• 2 weeks later...

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.  Just a couple things!  If you haven't seen the A Thousand Arms thread, starting tomorrow everything is 30% off!  That includes new represses for Babel, Earthcult, as well as the Tukor release from Torz (post-rock literally recorded IN A CAVE) in addition to the new releases from Pray For Sound and Kokomo :)   My wallet already hurts.    

secondly, some personal business.  Mouth of the Architect - The Ties that Blind.  Do I want the OG mix or the remaster?  I love this album, and I need it.  But TL is now out of the repress, so it's off to Discogs...

What say you!?

• 4 weeks later...

Late to the party but really enjoying this Gazelle(s) album from 2017.

a1215635119_10.jpg

Very "string heavy" post-rock that prioritizes riffs and urgency over being lush or cinematic.  FFO: Talons, Talkdemonic, This Patch of Sky.  New album dropping early 2020, too.

Vinyl is /500 and $10 if you're interested in supporting them.

https://gazelle-s.bandcamp.com