Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion v.2.0

I saw Burial Waves play their first show tonight. Members of We Were Black Clouds, a bunch of other bands, and  fronted by Kyle of Pianos Become the Teeth. They were pretty good, not quite as refined as PBTT, but I'd definitely recommend keeping an eye on them for an upcoming EP/LP (they played 6 songs over 30 minutes) or even catching their next show in D.C. if you're in that area. They opened for Slow Crush and Grivo which was a no brainer for me to attend.

Man, I don't know about you guys but I can't get enough of this new Pray For Sound.  I love the proto-dance sort of Maserati vibe a lot of the songs have with the bass grooves.  Talus, All of the Days, Waves.... fuck yeah.  All that shit with the bouncy bass. 

If you haven't picked this up, you should. 

On 2/10/2020 at 4:14 PM, Gumbo72203 said:

Man, I don't know about you guys but I can't get enough of this new Pray For Sound.  I love the proto-dance sort of Maserati vibe a lot of the songs have with the bass grooves.  Talus, All of the Days, Waves.... fuck yeah.  All that shit with the bouncy bass. 

If you haven't picked this up, you should. 

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz 

3 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

haha i know you hate them.  I can't get enough though. 

Lol I don’t hate them.  I’ve just tried for 4 albums to get into them & like pretty much 2 songs from Dreamer, of which they never expanded on (Mourner & Day Bringer), & that’s it.  Had they went the more ambient/post-rock mix route of those 2 songs I’d like them more.  I’m not into the upbeat poppy jams that go nowhere.  There are never any exciting builds, or riffs, or payoffs for me.  

On 2/14/2020 at 2:37 PM, mrewest said:

Lol I don’t hate them.  I’ve just tried for 4 albums to get into them & like pretty much 2 songs from Dreamer, of which they never expanded on (Mourner & Day Bringer), & that’s it.  Had they went the more ambient/post-rock mix route of those 2 songs I’d like them more.  I’m not into the upbeat poppy jams that go nowhere.  There are never any exciting builds, or riffs, or payoffs for me.  

Did you ever listen to their ambient album, Waiting Room?  You may find that more to your taste. 

I can see now being into Dreamer; it's my least favorite of theirs.  I think the previous album is their strongest, with songs like "I've Seen Hell and it's White" which I think may be their best song they've ever written.  But this new one has the dancey Maserati thing almost kinda going on, and I just love that.  But i like the upbeat shit like Wander and you stated your disdain for that band too ;)

I think it's because I like dancing and so I like the grooving aspect.  Their stuff gets me moving, and I enjoy that. 

1 minute ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Did you ever listen to their ambient album, Waiting Room?  You may find that more to your taste. 

I can see now being into Dreamer; it's my least favorite of theirs.  I think the previous album is their strongest, with songs like "I've Seen Hell and it's White" which I think may be their best song they've ever written.  But this new one has the dancey Maserati thing almost kinda going on, and I just love that.  But i like the upbeat shit like Wander and you stated your disdain for that band too ;)

I think it's because I like dancing and so I like the grooving aspect.  Their stuff gets me moving, and I enjoy that. 

Waiting Room was TOO ambient 😆.  There’s a thin line for me between ambient I like & ambient I don’t.  Bands like Of the Vine & Be Water are perfect examples of what I love.

Yeah if you dig PFS it doesn’t surprise me to like Wander.   And vice versa!

Anyways, you may dig this new Unconditional Arms song.  It actually has the PFS upbeat tempo but finishes with the crushing UA sound I love.

2 minutes ago, mrewest said:

Waiting Room was TOO ambient 😆.  There’s a thin line for me between ambient I like & ambient I don’t.  Bands like Of the Vine & Be Water are perfect examples of what I love.

Yeah if you dig PFS it doesn’t surprise me to like Wander.   And vice versa!

Anyways, you may dig this new Unconditional Arms song.  It actually has the PFS upbeat tempo but finishes with the crushing UA sound I love.

wow that was really good, but over way too soon!!!

On 1/4/2020 at 8:59 AM, omik11303 said:

Didn't Arctic Drones close up shop last summer? Might have even been before that. It was definitely the best post-rock/instrumental blog out there. No idea what happened but they just stopped posting and it looks like the website is public domain now.

I mostly just browse the relevant tags on Bandcamp and the wherepostrockdwells YouTube for new stuff. Heavy Blog is Heavy is probably my favorite online music review/blog site. @dawhizz

Arctic drones has been making subgenre playlists for those who Spotify and posting them on Instagram in the past week or so. Not just post rock /metal but the -gaze universe as well like doomgaze (nice list, even had Grivo on there), as well as drone and ambient. 

I used to read Echoes and Dust but not enough time.

Listened to the entire Kokomo discography today. Really digging Totem Youth more with each listen. Not your happy slappy post rock.

They don't do anything mind-blowing, but somehow can hit the intensity of Mono, stay just under the heaviness/doom of YONL (for those averse),  uptempo of Omega Massif, avoid the drone of Nadja (again for those averse), and patch in those times of respite/release from the tension. 

Thank you to all of the scouts posting material here to check out.

4 hours ago, drds89 said:

Arctic drones has been making subgenre playlists for those who Spotify and posting them on Instagram in the past week or so. Not just post rock /metal but the -gaze universe as well like doomgaze (nice list, even had Grivo on there), as well as drone and ambient. 

I used to read Echoes and Dust but not enough time.

Listened to the entire Kokomo discography today. Really digging Totem Youth more with each listen. Not your happy slappy post rock.

They don't do anything mind-blowing, but somehow can hit the intensity of Mono, stay just under the heaviness/doom of YONL (for those averse),  uptempo of Omega Massif, avoid the drone of Nadja (again for those averse), and patch in those times of respite/release from the tension. 

Thank you to all of the scouts posting material here to check out.

Good description.  I like the new album too.  Very Kokomo, very heavy.  Wish I had known the tunes better when they dropped them all at Dunk last year haha

Arctic Drones newest playlist is “Upbeat” postrock. Once upon a time that is all my brain could handle, so I hope no offense when I referred to it as happy slappy vs Kokomo.

On another note, Arc Tangent festival lineup is jaw dropping. Even some  bands in the bottom micro print are stellar. Talons (no apostrophe) are calling it quits soon after the fest. :/

So, this has me quite angered.  The guy from The Life and Times has a podcast, and he just had Mario from Spotlights on.  Both bands played Post. Festival.  In the podcast, they both lambaste the bands at Post Festival for being derivative, talentless musicians.  They said they all sound the same, have no inspiration, etc.  This is a lineup of Girih, Circus Trees, The end of the Ocean, Holy Fawn, I/O, Wander.... etc.  These are kids they're talking shit about, some of them teenagers. 

Coincidentally, Spotlights has an opening slot on the Korn tour which is stopping in Indianapolis on the same weekend as Post Festival. 

This shit pisses me the hell off, because they took the money from Post Fest and then are slinging mud at them after the fact.  Meanwhile, Spotlights still uses the tag "post rock" for their new album. 

22:00 and 78:00 for the shit talking if you're curious.  Fuck these guys, and fuck them hard. 

e ar

1 hour ago, Gumbo72203 said:

So, this has me quite angered.  The guy from The Life and Times has a podcast, and he just had Mario from Spotlights on.  Both bands played Post. Festival.  In the podcast, they both lambaste the bands at Post Festival for being derivative, talentless musicians.  They said they all sound the same, have no inspiration, etc.  This is a lineup of Girih, Circus Trees, The end of the Ocean, Holy Fawn, I/O, Wander.... etc.  These are kids they're talking shit about, some of them teenagers. 

Coincidentally, Spotlights has an opening slot on the Korn tour which is stopping in Indianapolis on the same weekend as Post Festival. 

This shit pisses me the hell off, because they took the money from Post Fest and then are slinging mud at them after the fact.  Meanwhile, Spotlights still uses the tag "post rock" for their new album. 

22:00 and 78:00 for the shit talking if you're curious.  Fuck these guys, and fuck them hard. 

Dude, chill. 

It didn't sound dismissive or douchy in my opinion. A lot of constructive criticism and personal opinions. They also mention that the majority of those bands are young and learning their craft. That's it. 

Edited by wisdom81

3 hours ago, wisdom81 said:

Dude, chill. 

It didn't sound dismissive or douchy in my opinion. A lot of constructive criticism and personal opinions. They also mention that the majority of those bands are young and learning their craft. That's it. 

:::shrug:::   I think it's a shitty thing to take the paycheck and then throw shade after the fact.  They didn't have anything nice to say about any of the bands.  Not even one "Oh I really liked that Circus Trees group, young kids doing a great job." 

8 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

e ar

Dude.  I’m with wisdom on this one.  Think you’re more mad than you should be lol.  In fact everything they said sounds like everything most of us say here!  It’s pretty clear who they are talking about (& for the record, it’s all The Life & Times dude & Mario is pretty much just saying “yeah yeah”.   

First off, the guy from Life & Times is CLEARLY an “older” guy.  It should be zero surprise at all what he says.  And their music was definitely an odd choice for Post Fest imo.  Also, he’s clearly singling out only SOME of the bands.  He compliments Mario for “having vocals” so I think you can remove Circus Trees & Holy Fawn from the venting.  I’m sure he was speaking about Ranges, Wander, PFS, I/O, End of the Ocean & Driving Slow Motion.  Those are the instrumental bands that can all be lumped into the more “basic post-rock”.  While I think End of the Ocean is top tier live, I’ll never consider them “ground-breaking”.  And I personally loved Driving Slow Motion but definitely don’t take offense if someone says they are “cliche”.  

And the 78:00 venting is just about “bands being too serious”.  Nothing malicious there at all.

I know you’re the resident Ranges & PFS fanboi 😉 but I really think it wasn’t a mud slinging vent sesh here.  Just an older dude sounding like EXACTLY how I’d expect & commenting on how cookie cutter those bands sound.  And his buddy Mario casually agreeing with his points.  

I’d hug ya & say “Everything will be ok” if I could haha ❤️ 

Edited by mrewest

But he participated, and couldn't say anything nice about any of the bands that played.  That's lame.  They just come off as "heheh.... all these other bands suck, but we were good."  Like, fuck off haha. 

Anyway, do you guys like Leech?   I can't stop listening to this stuff.  Synthy, up-beat, almost dancey post-rock (But not always).  Really digging it. 

This just popped up on Youtube yesterday.  Not sure if you guys are big Jesu fans, but it's pretty cool to see these tunes in a more stripped-down setting without all the production flourishes from the album.  The sound really comes together nicely on Conqueror.   Aaron Turner also in the crowd!

Old Year, Conqueror, Silver, Tired of Me, Transfigure.

Edited by Gumbo72203

1 hour ago, mrewest said:

I should probably do a better job of listening to people.  Because I totally slept on Barrows.  But holy shit.  This band is ruthless.

I believe Don loves these guys too.  "Imprecari Island" is his favorite i believe, but my favorite is Obsidian. 

Also see this fucking band.  They are so good live