Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion v.2.0

On 3/27/2020 at 12:15 PM, mrewest said:

I’m really into this new Whale Fall album.  A needed break from crescendo/Dunk-core.  Almost has a Do Make Say Think meets Spurv vibe.  

Literally just came here to post this!  I'm loving it.  It's giving me big Wang Wen vibes, along with maybe some We Stood Like Kings.  I can see the Spurv/Mono sort of thing going on too.  The piano and meditative song structures give me The Seven Mile Journey vibes too.

This may be album of the year for me so far.  I like it a lot. 

https://whalefall.bandcamp.com/album/it-will-become-itself

On 3/28/2020 at 5:49 PM, mrewest said:

Looks like we’re in agreement!  I need to start digging into their other albums now.

Omg.  Dude.  Their previous one was another AOTY contender for me.  It's really different for post-rock, which means you should like it.  There's almost some funk elements in it, with organ and stuff.  It's fantastic.  Sort of like if Echoes-era Pink Floyd was merged with their post-rock sensibilities. 

2 hours ago, Sasan said:

Anybody willing to clear things up for me...what are you talking about when you're comparing Spotlights EP to Holy Fawn EP?

Are those bands? EPs from one band? Need some new music.... 😕

https://spotlights.bandcamp.com/album/we-are-all-atomic

https://holyfawn.bandcamp.com/album/the-black-moon

Edited by N8TRU

On 4/1/2020 at 6:40 PM, mrewest said:

Damn I assumed you were hip to all the new hotness 😉 

17 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Are you seriously telling us that you haven't been listening to Holy Fawn?

Nah, guys, totally lost track of all PR-stuff around...I barely have time to listen to music and if I do it’s either old stuff or kids music 🤣

29 minutes ago, Sasan said:

Nah, guys, totally lost track of all PR-stuff around...I barely have time to listen to music and if I do it’s either old stuff or kids music 🤣

Both bands aren’t even really post-rock.  They kind of fit into several categories.  Holy Fawn is more post- than Spotlights but I’d say they fit better into shoegaze.  Much more ethereal.  Spotlights is just ungodly heavy Deftones-esque meaty riffs.  

8 hours ago, mrewest said:

Both bands aren’t even really post-rock.  They kind of fit into several categories.  Holy Fawn is more post- than Spotlights but I’d say they fit better into shoegaze.  Much more ethereal.  Spotlights is just ungodly heavy Deftones-esque meaty riffs.  

I see...for me all bands posted here are PR-bands :P ;)

Will check them out in a free minute...some time this year...

17 hours ago, omik11303 said:

Black Clouds was so freaking good. Just listened to both of their albums back-to-back and I'm left wondering why it's so hard for bands these days to pick up the slack.

(With all due respect to the good post-rock bands still out there -- there are plenty.)

Dusted mine off a few weekends ago as it had probably been more than a year maybe 2 since spinning them: EINGTBOK /15 TP is my listening copy and Dreamcation - Justin (Cole) sold me his in 2016.

On 4/5/2020 at 4:59 PM, drds89 said:

Dusted mine off a few weekends ago as it had probably been more than a year maybe 2 since spinning them: EINGTBOK /15 TP is my listening copy and Dreamcation - Justin (Cole) sold me his in 2016.

On 4/4/2020 at 11:00 PM, omik11303 said:

Black Clouds was so freaking good. Just listened to both of their albums back-to-back and I'm left wondering why it's so hard for bands these days to pick up the slack.

(With all due respect to the good post-rock bands still out there -- there are plenty.)

Yeah this band is good.  Thankfully you guys hipped me to them a while back.  Finally got the records maybe 6 months ago.  Great stuff. 

Also, if you guys didn't see the A1KA Spring Sale...  madness.  Most shit is 33% off.  Free shipping over $50 (which is basically 2 records).  $5 shirts.  Nuts.  If you don't have Ranges, Old Solar, Appalaches, etc etc etc now is the fucking time. 

2 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Also, if you guys didn't see the A1KA Spring Sale...  madness.  Most shit is 33% off.  Free shipping over $50 (which is basically 2 records).  $5 shirts.  Nuts.  If you don't have Ranges, Old Solar, Appalaches, etc etc etc now is the fucking time. 

Literally just bought that Old Solar album last week, what are the odds haha 

Okay so, with all this stimulus money coming in... i'm getting the urge to buy some stupid-expensive records. 

Do any of you have copies of "Everyone Into Position" by Oceansize?  I'm just curious whether the 1st or 2nd press (180g) sounds better.  Didn't wanna start a new thread, figured this was a good place.