Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion v.2.0

14 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Okay so, with all this stimulus money coming in... i'm getting the urge to buy some stupid-expensive records. 

Do any of you have copies of "Everyone Into Position" by Oceansize?  I'm just curious whether the 1st or 2nd press (180g) sounds better.  Didn't wanna start a new thread, figured this was a good place.

I know I have no say in what you do with your money but my advice is: Save it for a rainy day. Things are likely to get worse before they get better. If you can and want to spend money on music, you're better off supporting bands directly instead of plumping the wallets of greedy Discogs sellers as Derek said.

1 hour ago, wisdom81 said:

I know I have no say in what you do with your money but my advice is: Save it for a rainy day. Things are likely to get worse before they get better. If you can and want to spend money on music, you're better off supporting bands directly instead of plumping the wallets of greedy Discogs sellers as Derek said.

True, I wish I could buy directly from the label or band.  But I'm betting these releases never see a repress for another 7 years at least. 

But to reinforce your point, Besides (poland) just put up the PO for their newest album, and it's stupid, stupid cheap.  Like, $25 shipped to the USA.  Go fucking get that.  FFO:  Spurv, Maybeshewill, Silent Whale.  I think track 4, "Miners" is my favorite.  Gloomy, moody post-rock with very tasteful keyboard/electronic and string accompaniment. 

https://besides.bandcamp.com/album/bystanders

1 hour ago, mfzbjaan said:

saw them pop up on pelagic records. pretty damn good! any info on physical media?! the store only gives me download option.

Here is mine :

and the link :

https://pelagic-records.com/product/barrens-penumbra-lp-download/

Edited by archiced

2 hours ago, mrewest said:

Listened to Barrens earlier & it was solid, not great imo.  All 3 of these releases are far better to my ears. 

Gotta admit, I thought you'd be all over it. Have to agree that Whale Fall was a nice surprise, though - I thought their last two releases were very average but the new one is huge. Caspian has had no staying power for me, sadly. 

22 hours ago, omik11303 said:

Gotta admit, I thought you'd be all over it. Have to agree that Whale Fall was a nice surprise, though - I thought their last two releases were very average but the new one is huge. Caspian has had no staying power for me, sadly. 

There was enough to revisit for sure.  Just didn’t immediately grab me like those others.  It kept reminding me of someone else.  Maybe GIAA a bit?

On 4/12/2020 at 10:12 PM, mrewest said:

There was enough to revisit for sure.  Just didn’t immediately grab me like those others.  It kept reminding me of someone else.  Maybe GIAA a bit?

Barrens?  It reminded me a lot of "Versus" by PG.Lost

On 4/12/2020 at 12:11 AM, omik11303 said:

Caspian has had no staying power for me, sadly. 

This is kind of how I feel.  Like it's not bad, but it's definitely their weakest album IMO.  I'm never really craving to listen to it, which is sad.

23 hours ago, mrewest said:

Let me preface this by saying I think Vasudeva makes enjoyable jams.  But they’re mostly a “throw on in the background casually” band for me.  However, does it seem to anyone else that they literally just make the same exact album every couple years?

No Clearance >>> Life in Cycles. Admittedly I haven't listened to the new one yet, though.

2 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

This is kind of how I feel.  Like it's not bad, but it's definitely their weakest album IMO.  I'm never really craving to listen to it, which is sad.

The pacing is all over the place. I think that's why I can't get into it. Wildwood and Collapser are awesome, even the two tracks with vocals are fine, but everything else is really underdeveloped. Almost seems to me like they just threw a bunch of leftover riffs and ideas together and called it a day.

20 hours ago, omik11303 said:

No Clearance >>> Life in Cycles. Admittedly I haven't listened to the new one yet, though.

The pacing is all over the place. I think that's why I can't get into it. Wildwood and Collapser are awesome, even the two tracks with vocals are fine, but everything else is really underdeveloped. Almost seems to me like they just threw a bunch of leftover riffs and ideas together and called it a day.

Yeah i feel that way about a lot of the tunes. 

18 hours ago, mrewest said:

Ok yes I think this is more accurate & probably why I didn’t love it as much as everyone else haha.

Yeah "Versus" is definitely a B- album in my opinion.  2 good songs followed by meandering takes.  This is what happens when you write albums over the computer and not in person, sadly.  Everything up to that is gold, though.  Maybe someday we'll get "Yes I Am" on vinyl.

Also, i caved and bought "Frames" for $85.  Free shipping, sealed...    It helped abate the sadness for a little bit.  I regret nothing.