Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion v.2.0

Just need to post this somewhere.

I'm in the middle of a move and have not had my setup in almost 2 months now and am getting really antsy not being able to play my records, lol. And it looks like another month before I get my new record room set up. I've got quite a bit of new records that have accumulated over the past 2 months. I've got an opportunity to create an epic record room(some ideas would be awesome!) Anyways, done for now...🧨

edit* Just realized that i posted in a post HC thread🤯

Edited by faaip de oiad
dumbass

On 12/1/2020 at 11:37 AM, Derek™ said:

Completely unrelated but last night I had a dream that some therapist and her legal team were suing a handful of VCers for causing emotional trauma to Gumbo.  She had a history of all the shit-posting and jabbing that myself and several others have given him over the last few years.  We were expected to take the stand and defend said posts.  It was something else.

That would be a hell of a meet-up, just wish it weren't in a court room!

• 1 month later...

Posting to make sure everyone heard the new Godspeed album that got released a few weeks ago:

https://goldenhymns.bandcamp.com/album/the-great-dystopian-songbook-i-songs-for-the-setting-rising-sun

And, more urgently, please listen to this immediately for probably the closest thing to Lift Your Skinny Fists I've heard: https://theirsilhouetteslooming.bandcamp.com/album/death-is-rich-when-life-is-poor

Edited by omik11303

One for here: https://blackcountrynewroad.bandcamp.com/album/for-the-first-time

First heard this loud bunch a while back, they were apart of a 7" series where they record direct to tape, release on 7" only. It was solid, I didn't mind the intense spoken word passages and it just vibed with the gloomy post-rock behind it. Kind of thought that'd be the last I'd hear from them, BUT yay there's an LP out. Can't wait to lockdown with this.

Sort of Enablers sound if you're into that (not so much cinematic cheese)

Edited by whoa

On 1/2/2021 at 1:00 PM, omik11303 said:

Posting to make sure everyone heard the new Godspeed album that got released a few weeks ago:

https://goldenhymns.bandcamp.com/album/the-great-dystopian-songbook-i-songs-for-the-setting-rising-sun

And, more urgently, please listen to this immediately for probably the closest thing to Lift Your Skinny Fists I've heard: https://theirsilhouetteslooming.bandcamp.com/album/death-is-rich-when-life-is-poor

Man I keep meaning to dig into the new Golden Hymns.  I'm not sure I even did the last one.  There's just not enough time!

On 1/2/2021 at 10:00 AM, omik11303 said:

A perfect example of how and why LYSF is simply untouchable.  There is no denying that some of the wailing guitars really liken themselves to those found on LYSF... but that album's flow, peaks, and reflective moments are just in their own league, and (probably) always will be.  Silhouettes was a cool listen but it had nothing that touches the beaming energy of Storm, or the blissed-out ambience of Antennas To Heaven.

6 hours ago, Derek™ said:

A perfect example of how and why LYSF is simply untouchable.  There is no denying that some of the wailing guitars really liken themselves to those found on LYSF... but that album's flow, peaks, and reflective moments are just in their own league, and (probably) always will be.  Silhouettes was a cool listen but it had nothing that touches the beaming energy of Storm, or the blissed-out ambience of Antennas To Heaven.

Well, you got me there. Part of my excitement was that, with few exceptions, the LYSF style has been only imitated, never replicated. And here the intention fairly clearly was to try and replicate it. I like the Silhouettes album a lot but by no means do I think it's actually in the same league as Godspeed.

Edited by omik11303

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

New Mogwai (loving it) and Godspeed for 2021 - whoa!

GIAA has been a pleasant surprise:  a good portion sounds like Russian Circles "light."  Their tour in EU playing All Is Violent  + new material for 2021 has been pushed to 2022 (no surprise). Will travel if they come to the US and things are safer out there.

For any nostalgics, I completely missed April 2020 release - first time on vinyl: All The Bright Lights S/T. Pricey, but this is a special album for me. (FFO light, atmospheric post rock with memorable riffs, and don't mind some buried vocals. Not an EITS copycat)

All The Bright Lights

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/14/2021 at 4:50 PM, Gumbo72203 said:

I am forever grateful to whomever it was that posted 2 years ago about the reissue of Tarentel's "From Bone to Satellite"

Spinning this now....   every time I'm absolutely floored by how good this is.  Top 5 post-rock album ever?  Maybe. 

It may have been Charlie (abovetheearth), I first heard about them from him years ago when we had time to message.

Not a new release but I finally got around to picking up Signal Hill's "More After We're Gone" 10 year anniversary RM last bandcamp Friday, and it sounds so good on vinyl. Lighter side, but engaging Postrock FFO: The Mercury Program, Beware of Safety "Leaves & Scars" era

Signal Hill: More After We're Gone 2xLP

Always dreamed about those 3 playing a show together - just getting TMP from Florida to LA or vice versa made it a pipe dream of course, but hey. I did get to see TMP a couple years ago, which was amazing, and such great guys.

On 4/12/2021 at 10:13 PM, dawhizz said:

New Soup album is finally on the way.

https://m.facebook.com/soupsound/videos/511692753546977/?refsrc=https%3A%2F%2Fm.facebook.com%2Fwatch%2F&_rdr

Also, got my vinyl of the new Baulta album and it looks and sounds beautiful. A Thousand Arms did a great job. 

Saw that!  I regret skipping out on Remedies, because it was for sale forever.  Now you can only pay through the nose on discogs haha.  D'oh!

New Baulta is fucking amazing.  I just got mine yesterday, haven't spun yet but played the CD in my car today.  Love it. 

NEW SHY, LOW and YEAR OF NO LIGHT!!!!  FUCK YES!!!!

Both of these tracks are so satisfying.  I'm really stoked to see where the Shy, Low album goes.  Much heavier and darker but retaining the pretty melodies they're so good at.  And YONL is just.... YONL being awesome at being YONL. 

Sadly i can't link any of the tracks individually but you can view them here until like tomorrow or something.  YONL and Shy, Low are both on Friday, you just click on that day on the left and then scroll til you find them.

https://www.roadburnredux.com/

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2021 at 3:49 AM, mrewest said:

This is new & really good

Pictures of Wild Life

This is also new & really good.

Secret Gardens

Pictures of Wild Life is quite interesting indeed.

Not a ton of new stuff has been grabbing my interest in the post world this year (not counting the classics Godspeed, Mogwai and God is an Astronaut).

Just been listening mostly to the new Bruit. 

New Baulta is growing on me and just found this other band that is sounding quite interesting and giving them a shot (especially the track Wading In):

https://hurryupbrothers.bandcamp.com/album/all-is-beautiful-im-okay-to-be-alive-im-okay-to-die

Edited by wisdom81

if you guys haven't listened to the new A River Crossing, you need to do that.  From the same label, When Waves Collide's new album has been getting a lot of play from me.  Imagine Pray for Sound, Tides from Nebulah, and Toundra making a record together.  Very good stuff with cool melody. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y03u1z7U0hE

Edited by Gumbo72203

On 5/10/2021 at 12:29 PM, omik11303 said:

Gumbo got to it already, but I finally checked out the new YONL track yesterday and it bangs. Can't wait for the new album. Also, new Bossk and Amenra upcoming? Crazy good year for post-metal, with those three.

Amen to that Owen! I caved for the YONL Box set when it first dropped on indiemerch, early birthday present yep. Hoping Amenra tours here again and get a tour copy signed as per Mass VI.  Colin is one of the most humble and gracious people. That may be a long way off, or not financially feasible for them, but fingers crossed.

Bossk vinyl should be worth the wait later this year.  I've hit my cassette tape limit, so I will wait to see if the music dislodges anything out of my collection.

I must be the only person in the world that's not getting the BRUIT hype.  It has a cool atmosphere.  It gets loud / intense periodically.  But I can't help but feel like it seriously meanders [or lingers] around at times.  It's a fine listen and I plan to come back to it for repeat listens in the future... but all this talk – not necessarily on VC – about how it shits on the new Godspeed or any other post-rock released this year... I'm just not terribly sure about that.

22 hours ago, Derek™ said:

I must be the only person in the world that's not getting the BRUIT hype.  It has a cool atmosphere.  It gets loud / intense periodically.  But I can't help but feel like it seriously meanders [or lingers] around at times.  It's a fine listen and I plan to come back to it for repeat listens in the future... but all this talk – not necessarily on VC – about how it shits on the new Godspeed or any other post-rock released this year... I'm just not terribly sure about that.

I'm with you there.  I'm glad they're getting the hype, but the trip-hop/neoclassical thing just isn't my bag.  They're very good, but I only really like that last song.  However, that last song is fucking MASSIVE. 

I've seen the Godspeed thing too on all the boards - I think the new Godspeed album is awesome and I love it.  I like it more than the Bruit album, but i need to go back a few times still.  I have the debut EP and it's kinda just fine?  I never listen to it, but i can't bring myself to part with the Elusive 1st Press collection haha