Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion v.2.0

I guess Matt's been watching Shy, Low longer than any of us, even pre-Shy, Low. I saw them before Binary Opposition when they were still doing some vocals, bassist iirc. 

Hiraeth is so good. The bonus track on Binary is a fave too. The Burning Day EP didn't click with me but I haven't given it the 10 listens, so I held off on this preorder with no music. Until today. It's up on brooklyn vegan.

The production (especially drums) was vastly improved as advertised,  even through my crappy ear buds, and... I liked the track: reminded me of Palms for some reason.

The video, er um well, I'm sure somebodies will love it - they definitely were swinging for the fence.

Not sure which variant to go with, and a bit butthurt on the $ premium. I guess the COVID's further inflationary pressures to keep our addiction going. Can't wait to hear the rest of it.

On 8/11/2021 at 5:46 PM, drds89 said:

I guess Matt's been watching Shy, Low longer than any of us, even pre-Shy, Low. I saw them before Binary Opposition when they were still doing some vocals, bassist iirc. 

Hiraeth is so good. The bonus track on Binary is a fave too. The Burning Day EP didn't click with me but I haven't given it the 10 listens, so I held off on this preorder with no music. Until today. It's up on brooklyn vegan.

The production (especially drums) was vastly improved as advertised,  even through my crappy ear buds, and... I liked the track: reminded me of Palms for some reason.

The video, er um well, I'm sure somebodies will love it - they definitely were swinging for the fence.

Not sure which variant to go with, and a bit butthurt on the $ premium. I guess the COVID's further inflationary pressures to keep our addiction going. Can't wait to hear the rest of it.

Burning Day is my least favorite of theirs because they went hard into the heavier side, and those songs are better live too.  I got to see Dissention a few years before they recorded it, and the loop jam at the end was a bit longer I think and it built so impressively.  I wish I had a tape of that show.  It was incredible.  We're talking maybe 2016, 2017.  Long time ago. 

The new stuff sort of bridges the gap, I think.  They like the heavy stuff now, but they kept some of the old twinkly stuff.

I bought every variant to keep my Shy, Low collection complete.  :::crazy:::

17 minutes ago, smailtronic said:

Man, I liked Helioentropy, but the price, coupled with knowing that 'expected to ship in October' means we'll probably see it in February, will keep me holding off, for now.

black for only $30 man!  Pelagic has been increasing the prices for colored variants for a couple years now. 

Free shipping at $100 from A Thousand Arms so here's 4 other things you should get that they have:

Of the Vine - East the Water

A River Crossing - Forsaken

Meniscus - Refractions

Winter Dust - Autumn Years

Edited by Gumbo72203

On 8/14/2021 at 9:36 AM, Gumbo72203 said:

black for only $30 man!  Pelagic has been increasing the prices for colored variants for a couple years now. 

Free shipping at $100 from A Thousand Arms so here's 4 other things you should get that they have:

Of the Vine - East the Water

A River Crossing - Forsaken

Meniscus - Refractions

Winter Dust - Autumn Years

Lol, $36 is too much, hOw AbOuT $100 wItH fReE sHiPpInG?

6 hours ago, omik11303 said:

New Tacoma Narrows is very solid. Reminds me a lot of the early Pelican LPs.

lol what?  really?  What early Pelican?  They had keyboards? 

I never liked Pelican because it was all riffs and no atmosphere to me but if you can point me elsewhere I'd be super grateful. 

To me, TNBD sounds more like Isis and Tool with splashes of like, Maserati or SMW. 

14 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I never liked Pelican because it was all riffs and no atmosphere to me but if you can point me elsewhere I'd be super grateful. 

To me, TNBD sounds more like Isis and Tool with splashes of like, Maserati or SMW. 

Mega confused by your first comment. The Fire in Our Throats... is about three times as atmospheric as this new Tacoma album ("Last Day of Winter" and "Aurora Borealis"?)

I mean, I'll agree that it's not a perfect comparison, but the riffing on "The World Inside" and "Apocryphal" sounds straight off of Australasia, albeit not as layered or complex.

20 hours ago, omik11303 said:

Mega confused by your first comment. The Fire in Our Throats... is about three times as atmospheric as this new Tacoma album ("Last Day of Winter" and "Aurora Borealis"?)

I mean, I'll agree that it's not a perfect comparison, but the riffing on "The World Inside" and "Apocryphal" sounds straight off of Australasia, albeit not as layered or complex.

Right on, that's not been my conception of them at all haha over the 3 times i've seen them on bills with other bands I've gone to see.  When I think Pelican, i just think "riff after riff after riff" with no reverby atmosphere or post-rock elements.  Just riffs. 

I will revisit though!

On 8/23/2021 at 10:50 AM, omik11303 said:

New Tacoma Narrows is very solid. Reminds me a lot of the early Pelican LPs.

Tacoma Narrows comes through again!  Thanks as I completely missed this Owen. 

edited:

I have Gumbo ears on the new one:  several tracks Isis with Tool (bass especially & time sig changes) also Meniscus (bass lines again) & SMW.  They channel lots of my favorite parts of post, prog, instrumental rock.

Edited by drds89

On 8/24/2021 at 6:29 PM, drds89 said:

Tacoma Narrows comes through again!  Thanks as I completely missed this Owen. 

edited:

I have Gumbo ears on the new one:  several tracks Isis with Tool (bass especially & time sig changes) also Meniscus (bass lines again) & SMW.  They channel lots of my favorite parts of post, prog, instrumental rock.

Yeah the new album is an absolute banger.  They've been supplying my Isis fix for a long time, along with Pet Slimmers. 

It's selling well, too, so I would pick up your copy before its too late! 

• 3 weeks later...

So, it's little bit prog/bit post-rock, really enjoying this Closet Disco Queens album https://closetdiscoqueen.bandcamp.com/album/omelette-du-fromage

Apart from having a banging band and album name, I saw they have vinyl for this release https://hummus-records.com/product/closet-disco-queen-and-the-flying-raclettes-omelette-du-fromage-lp/

Was just curious if anyone had any experience with laser cut discs? Are they just lathes or something else completely? Really can't find much on it, and the stock is gone, but just curious what that processing is.

Regardless, enjoy the music!

15 hours ago, mrewest said:

I’m barely ever here anymore so I’ve missed some discussion but dang am I the only one that absolutely HATED that Tacoma album?  One listen through & it sounded more generic than a Ranges album.  I was unbelievably disappointed in that.  Have had no desire to revisit.

You're not the only one. I also found it very forgettable unfortunately.

Agree with Ranges as well. Very generic and nothing really memorable on there.  I loved their first couple of albums but haven't been able to get into the last few.

Also a bit disappointed with the new Blak album.

Fortunately the new Driving Slow Motion and the new Shy Low (which I've had a chance to listen to) are very good and saving the year in terms of Post Rock releases along with Bruit, Mogwai and Baulta.

7 hours ago, wisdom81 said:

Agree with Ranges as well. Very generic and nothing really memorable on there.  I loved their first couple of albums but haven't been able to get into the last few.

Fortunately the new Driving Slow Motion and the new Shy Low (which I've had a chance to listen to) are very good and saving the year in terms of Post Rock releases along with Bruit, Mogwai and Baulta.

Yeah I’m surprised at the love Tacoma is getting.  I’ll have to at least give it one more chance.

The Driving Slow Motion coulda been my post-rock aoty if not so painfully short.  One of the guys in the band told me it was supposed to be a longer double EP but lame ass Post Recordings made them trim it down into 1 LP.  No way in hell a big epic heavy ambient album like that can only be 30 min.  The last 2 songs end before they even begin imo.  But “Leaves” & “The Fall” are incredible.

On 9/19/2021 at 2:10 PM, mrewest said:

I’m barely ever here anymore so I’ve missed some discussion but dang am I the only one that absolutely HATED that Tacoma album?  One listen through & it sounded more generic than a Ranges album.  I was unbelievably disappointed in that.  Have had no desire to revisit.

Evan, I would have been totally shocked if you liked the new Tacoma album, that's why I never recommended to you over on IG where we usually share shoegazey stuff.

Tool, Meniscus, Maserati, Isis are not bands I remember you liking or talking up .... and the SMW here and there I think Gumbo and I are hearing would not be enough to pull this record into your orbit.

Re: Ranges, I have tried tried tried too, and love what they are doing at A1KA, but it's all generic to me.

What I really want to do still... is take some tracks like Gathering or Desperdecio Pt 1. and be able to block the artist,  have you listen to those riffs, and tell me you don't like them!! haha ;) 

On 9/19/2021 at 2:10 PM, mrewest said:

On 9/20/2021 at 5:26 AM, wisdom81 said:

I can see what you mean with the Ranges stuff.  I like it because I like the sound.  HOWEVER, you guys really ought to visit the new album, Cardinal Winds.  I think it's their best, by far.  The production and the songwriting, it just works.  I really, really like it. 

The TNBD album is a grower too; I never have visceral reactions like you guys where I think "omg this sucks" haha.  I don't know.  I understand the effort put into albums, so I feel like having an emotion like that is... not fair.  But that's me.  I could never throw shade like that knowing what it takes to put something out. 

16 hours ago, drds89 said:

What I really want to do still... is take some tracks like Gathering or Desperdecio Pt 1. and be able to block the artist,  have you listen to those riffs, and tell me you don't like them!! haha ;) 

Gathering Half the Deep by PSOTY?  And what's with the PG.Lost reference?  I'm a bit lost here haha. 

1 hour ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I can see what you mean with the Ranges stuff.  I like it because I like the sound.  HOWEVER, you guys really ought to visit the new album, Cardinal Winds.  I think it's their best, by far.  The production and the songwriting, it just works.  I really, really like it. 

The TNBD album is a grower too; I never have visceral reactions like you guys where I think "omg this sucks" haha.  I don't know.  I understand the effort put into albums, so I feel like having an emotion like that is... not fair.  But that's me.  I could never throw shade like that knowing what it takes to put something out. 

Gathering Half the Deep by PSOTY?  And what's with the PG.Lost reference?  I'm a bit lost here haha. 

Evan hates everything pg.lost, even Key 😲 and even though every album is different. It’s just a long-standing joke that he will never like any pg.lost. Period. 😂

On 9/20/2021 at 7:45 PM, drds89 said:

Evan, I would have been totally shocked if you liked the new Tacoma album, that's why I never recommended to you over on IG where we usually share shoegazey stuff.

Tool, Meniscus, Maserati, Isis are not bands I remember you liking or talking up .... and the SMW here and there I think Gumbo and I are hearing would not be enough to pull this record into your orbit.

Re: Ranges, I have tried tried tried too, and love what they are doing at A1KA, but it's all generic to me.

Hahaha yeah easy pass on the pg.lost but sign me up for PSOTY & Meniscus!  I’ve always liked Tool, & have dabbled in Isis & liked what I’ve heard but I just don’t have a good reason for not revisiting them more often.

And I actually loved Tacoma’s last album.  It definitely fit right in with those bands.  I feel like the newest stripped away everything I loved about that album.  No atmosphere.  Nothing to wrap you up in the album.  It just came & went and felt uninspired.

8 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Gumbo, Cardinal Winds sounds like Babel, sounds like The Ascentionist…they just rewrite the same songs over & over & never add anything new.  Generic melodies, drums, builds/peaks, etc.  I give everyone of their releases a fair shot.  They are an aesthetically pleasing band & nothing more lol.  Sorry for being so harsh!