Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion v.2.0

Man.  You guys need to go to Dunk!.  Like, holy crap.

Bruit....  Hubris... Year of No Light... Of the Vine... OUTLANDER!!!!!!!!

I can't stress how good Outlander was.  If you think they are great on record, they absolutely utterly DESTROY on stage.  Their setlist was Threadbare, Return, Sinking, Sundowning.  3 Valium tracks ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

Like, fuck dude.  It's so doable too!  It's in Ghent now, so you just fly into Brussels, take ONE TRAIN, and then you're there.  You get off at Gent - St. Pieters station, and take the tram for 10 mins into the center of the city, and you are 5 mins walking from everything.  It's so ridiculously easy.  I am not rich, and I don't make a ton of money, and we were able to do it again this year.  You guys can do this.  You need to. 

please come see the magic once before you die :D :D

Edited by Gumbo72203

• 3 weeks later...

I think Hundred Year Old Man just released one of the best post-metal albums in years "Sleep In Light".

Dark, beautiful and crushing 80min journey. FFO: Cult Of Luna, Oceanic-era Isis. Colored vinyl at Consouling store or Bandcamp.

For me this came out of nowhere. I think I had never heard of this band before.

On 6/23/2022 at 3:01 PM, prowl20 said:

Bruit records are finally shipping from A Thousand Arms. So excited to take a bunch of mushrooms and spin it. One of my favorite records to come out in recent years.

their live set at Dunk was truly tremendous.  You think they're good on record.... mannnnnn you don't even know haha.  It was something else. 

On 6/21/2022 at 2:03 AM, Portsi said:

I think Hundred Year Old Man just released one of the best post-metal albums in years "Sleep In Light".

Dark, beautiful and crushing 80min journey. FFO: Cult Of Luna, Oceanic-era Isis. Colored vinyl at Consouling store or Bandcamp.

For me this came out of nowhere. I think I had never heard of this band before.

uhhhhhhhhh that's a bold statement.  i'm curious...

1 hour ago, Gumbo72203 said:

their live set at Dunk was truly tremendous.  You think they're good on record.... mannnnnn you don't even know haha.  It was something else. 

A friend saw them at Roadburn and said it was insane. Horn section and everything. I hope to one day be able to see them (definitely planning on doing Roadburn next year)

5 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

uhhhhhhhhh that's a bold statement.  i'm curious...

Haha dont count me on this... Just the overall dark feeling and harshness made me think of early Isis. Great record. You would think that 80 minutes is too much, but in this case it's not.

Final Light (project by Johannes Persson from COL and Perturbator) was released yesterday. Maybe not entirely post-metal, but very atmospheric. Can't wait to explore it more. 

I need to take the time and check out Bruit.... 

7 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Wow, what?  With PFB and <squints> Gospel, too?  Is that for real?  I need to find whatever post[er] that thumbnail is from and get the details.  Nutty lineup.

August 12th at St Vitus in NYC. I’m going to have to skip a day of work to go but I’ve never seen YONL or PFB before. I feel spoiled seeing Gospel three times in a single year 😅

On 7/1/2022 at 1:48 AM, prowl20 said:

August 12th at St Vitus in NYC. I’m going to have to skip a day of work to go but I’ve never seen YONL or PFB before. I feel spoiled seeing Gospel three times in a single year 😅

Their set at Dunk was fucking mindblowing.  The lights, and the sound... it was so much.  I was a bit too tired to really appreciate it all but man, those climax moments during that set were BONKERS.  I can't even fathom how they're going to fit on the St. Vitus stage?  it's like 20 feet wide.  The Dunk stage had to be 100 and they filled it. 

I'll probably come haha

16 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Their set at Dunk was fucking mindblowing.  The lights, and the sound... it was so much.  I was a bit too tired to really appreciate it all but man, those climax moments during that set were BONKERS.  I can't even fathom how they're going to fit on the St. Vitus stage?  it's like 20 feet wide.  The Dunk stage had to be 100 and they filled it. 

I'll probably come haha

Damn, yeah that Vitus stage is tiny. I’m definitely stoked as fuck for this 

yo i don't know if you guys are paying attention but Post. Recordings has some sick, sick stuff available. 

I just picked up both variants of I Hear Sirens - Beneath the Sky, but they've got The Introvert - Carry the Bomb, Carry the Power and that album is awesome.  It's so different but i love it.  Almost like ambient synthwave mixed with S/T's programmed drum ideas. 

https://www.postrecordings.com/products/the-introvert-carry-the-bomb-carry-the-power-lp

Also, IN EXCELSIS BY TEOTO ON VINYL FINALLY!!!!  I'm very proud to say that I was sort of the genesis of that, linking the band to my buddy who works for Post.  It sounds ***INCREDIBLE***.   The re-recorded On Floating is *so* good.  you must check it out. 

https://www.postrecordings.com/products/the-end-of-the-ocean-in-excelsis-lp

On 7/7/2022 at 8:48 PM, drds89 said:

Yeah I think I could take 1 of each from Post's shop!

The Shy, Low S/T sounds great - very happy with that preorder/purchase. 

yeah, their roster is no joke.  I can't believe there are still copies of Hubris in stock too.  That album is so good. 

For those who don't know, The Introvert is also the side project from Jeremy from TWDY. 

Can't wait for my package. I got the new Still Motions too.  that band grew on me a lot. 

I want to grab that Excelsis but I’m so iffy about “mixed color” vinyl.  It sounds like it could be the same thing as that trash “eco vinyl”, which is just leftover color pellets at a discounted price to the plants.  I haven’t seen a single good review for any record pressed with that approach.  The label themselves weren’t able to confirm if it’s the same thing or not, which bodes well. 👍

On 7/11/2022 at 3:17 PM, Derek™ said:

I want to grab that Excelsis but I’m so iffy about “mixed color” vinyl.  It sounds like it could be the same thing as that trash “eco vinyl”, which is just leftover color pellets at a discounted price to the plants.  I haven’t seen a single good review for any record pressed with that approach.  The label themselves weren’t able to confirm if it’s the same thing or not, which bodes well. 👍

On it.  I'll ask. 

On 7/7/2022 at 3:21 PM, Gumbo72203 said:

yo i don't know if you guys are paying attention but Post. Recordings has some sick, sick stuff available. 

I just picked up both variants of I Hear Sirens - Beneath the Sky, but they've got The Introvert - Carry the Bomb, Carry the Power and that album is awesome.  It's so different but i love it.  Almost like ambient synthwave mixed with S/T's programmed drum ideas. 

https://www.postrecordings.com/products/the-introvert-carry-the-bomb-carry-the-power-lp

Also, IN EXCELSIS BY TEOTO ON VINYL FINALLY!!!!  I'm very proud to say that I was sort of the genesis of that, linking the band to my buddy who works for Post.  It sounds ***INCREDIBLE***.   The re-recorded On Floating is *so* good.  you must check it out. 

https://www.postrecordings.com/products/the-end-of-the-ocean-in-excelsis-lp

Just got my I Hear Sirens and Introvert in. Little disappointed in the Introvert, on first listen. Feels like he and Chris are just doing whatever they can to be 'artsy' and get away from TWDY. I'll give it  couple more spins though, and maybe it'll grow on me.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/11/2022 at 3:17 PM, Derek™ said:

So I spoke with my buddy, it's not the recycled vinyl thing.  It's just mixed pellets that have never been used, so it's the same quality.  This was a band decision to go with, not sure why but that's what I was told.  The "eco vinyl" is when they recycle records and melt them and reheat or whatever, which in my estimation would compromise the structural molecular integrity and result in a softer, not-as-good sounding product.  This is not that.