Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion v.2.0

I never have time to listen to any of the new albums recommended by WherePostRockDwells. However, last night I was on the youtube while doing paperwork, and it rolled into the next queued up piece which was a rec by them: Distance - Everything In Exchange For Nothing (NZ).

RIYL: Meniscus, early Keretta,  with a hint of Jakob atmosphere in some tracks. 

It's only 30 minutes and not as complex as the bands above, but I enjoyed the riffage. The closing track is a curve ball,  not bad, just standard fare postrock.

Distance - EIEFN

On 8/16/2022 at 8:46 PM, greenbeck said:

https://sargenthouse.com/test-pressings

Sargent House just put up a bunch of test pressings.  Russian Circles Deafheaven 

i really don't get the allure of spending THAT much on TP's.  The few I have come across have sounded awesome for sure, but man that's a lot of money haha

On 8/31/2022 at 9:15 PM, drds89 said:

After folks get through their 10th listen to Gnosis, look forward to hearing your thoughts, including the vinyl quality.

I thought it sounded pretty good! My copy was a little dished, not sure if that was an isolated incident but it plays fine and there’s def some dynamics. Wouldn’t go so far as to say it’s my best sounding record but I don’t have any complaints 

Edited by prowl20

On 9/1/2022 at 11:15 AM, drds89 said:

After folks get through their 10th listen to Gnosis, look forward to hearing your thoughts, including the vinyl quality.

Absolutely love the record, but haven't listened to the vinyl yet so no comment there. They don't deviate from their formula, it's structured exactly like their last few records (6-7 tracks, 3-4 bangers + 2 transitions + another one), but it is such a pleasure to listen to.  Take my thoughts with a grain of salt, favorite band and all.

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Sad Heart said:

Possible Young Team repress coming…

You see or hear something new?  Today’s its 25th birthday… and I know earlier this year, Stuart said a repress was slated to happen in 2022.  Still has a couple of months to work with but it’s been super quiet on that front, unless you’ve seen something more recent.

48 minutes ago, Sad Heart said:

@Derek™ (Vc isn’t letting me quote on mobile for some reason). They replied to a tweet about it. That’s about it. Haha. 

Also, anyone else going to Last Night on Earth? Caspian, Som, and Junius. Gonna be wild. 

Oh.  I found it… and yeah; gonna’ need something a little more concrete to get hyped.  “I’ll believe it when I see it” kinda’ moment there.  Sure hope you’re right and it’s around the corner though.

That LNOE lineup is legit.  I haven’t seen Caspian in a good while.  Are they back to writing and touring a new album anytime soon?

On 10/21/2022 at 5:26 PM, Derek™ said:

Oh.  I found it… and yeah; gonna’ need something a little more concrete to get hyped.  “I’ll believe it when I see it” kinda’ moment there.  Sure hope you’re right and it’s around the corner though.

That LNOE lineup is legit.  I haven’t seen Caspian in a good while.  Are they back to writing and touring a new album anytime soon?

Teaser on their IG saying 10/27. Hopefully it’s a repress. I have an original but will definitely buy whatever the new press is, especially if it’s along the lines of the 2008 box. I put off buying that thing when it was still like $70 at record stores.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2022 at 8:55 PM, omik11303 said:

The new EF record is a total blast from the past. So good. Reminds me of Yndi Halda from the glory days. Anyone else hear it?

I had this one and Lost in Kiev on my list to check out, but not made time for them, so thanks for post Owen!

It does have glory days Yndi on one track that is more more string heavy and melancholic, one sounds like pg.lost Key era with light strings, the next to last track is completely Sigur Ros + Bjork vocals, and the others like I would expect Ef after 5 year hiatus. A nice listen while doing 'paperwork.'

On 11/4/2022 at 5:55 PM, omik11303 said:

The new EF record is a total blast from the past. So good. Reminds me of Yndi Halda from the glory days. Anyone else hear it?

Was waiting until tonight to give it a shot.  A few songs in and I can absolutely hear the Yndi vibes.  (Especially Under Summer.)  Really enjoying it thus far – eager to hear where the rest of it goes.

[Edit]

Thought those first few songs, even if totally sharing the same DNA as Yndi’s Under Summer, were probably my favorite.  Middle of the record maybe wobbled a little bit for me, but it closed strong.  I’m happy with it.  I may even like it a bit more than Ceremonies but we’ll see how that opinion holds up.

Edited by Derek™

On 11/4/2022 at 8:55 PM, omik11303 said:

so glad this band is back from the dead.  They have another new song they didn't record that they played at Dunk! a few years back.  Hopefully that surfaces in some capacity, but Niklas said it wasn't as good as the new stuff so they didn't record it. 

I'm gonna try my best to wait until the vinyl arrives to listen haha

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/5/2022 at 5:38 PM, wisdom81 said:

No idea Ancients had new material coming

https://theancientsmusic.bandcamp.com/track/solaris-2

Was hoping for *shels, but will take this, in the meantime.

Stars Showers is a stellar album - and the bone /purple-pink splatter is one of my favorite pressings for eye appeal.

• 1 month later...
On 5/10/2022 at 12:34 PM, dawhizz said:

Not sure if this belongs here or in the Shoegaze thread or in the Sludge/Doom thread, but I’m putting it here because I think it’s where I heard of the album, but I got a Bandcamp message that a new vinyl pressing of Palehorse/Palerider’s “Burial Songs” is going up on Friday. Looks like it will be on Bandcamp. Not sure how many are being pressed. 

Mine arrived tonight, sounds and looks great, thanks again for the recommendation! There are still copies available on bandcamp $25. I assume it's open for people who didn't fund the campaign as well.

12 hours ago, prowl20 said:

Can anyone speculate what this record is?

I really have no clue.  My guess is its either the new Spurv record, because they signed to Pelagic, or maybe a new PG.Lost album.  I'm beyond blind-buying albums now, after getting burned a few times by bands i love putting out albums i didn't love.  Hell, I think I've played the new Caspian album once.  It hurts too much sometimes to admit I have an album by a band i LOVE that i don't really enjoy :(