Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion v.2.0

On 1/23/2023 at 3:54 PM, Sad Heart said:

Looks like I’m going to / working Dunk fest this year…

In what capacity?  Wout and Luc are awesome dudes.  I love it over there.  The venue is way cool also, just a lot of stairs.  Ghent is a beautiful town.  I'm not sure we'll make it, as we're doing Post. Festival this time.  Unless Envy gets booked.  Then it's a hard fuck-it to the credit card debt. 

I'm here to answer your questions. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2023 at 8:31 PM, dawhizz said:

Man, I somehow completely whiffed on Old Solar but discovered them recently and really love their sound.  Picked up See on discogs and ordered Quiet Prayers (Redux) through ATA. 

I was able to scoop up "See" off "The Butcha" and keep putting off Quiet Prayers but I will scoop it up tonight!

On 1/26/2023 at 8:31 PM, dawhizz said:

Man, I somehow completely whiffed on Old Solar but discovered them recently and really love their sound.  Picked up See on discogs and ordered Quiet Prayers (Redux) through ATA. 

I hope you're coming to see them at Post. Fest in July!  It's right next door to you!  Make sure to find their first album, Speak, as well.  Very good stuff. 

On 2/9/2023 at 10:17 PM, Uselesslimbs said:

I was able to scoop up "See" off "The Butcha" and keep putting off Quiet Prayers but I will scoop it up tonight!

So much awesome available from A Thousand Arms.  Pick up the new Jeffk and Glaston too! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2023 at 1:51 PM, wisdom81 said:

It's been quite a while since this genre had a worthwhile release. I've been listening to this quite a bit: 

https://itwasagooddream.bandcamp.com/album/rememory

they're incredible live.  I was meh on the first release, but seeing them at Dunk last year really changed the game.  They were so good.  Haven't dug into the new release beyond the first song that was put out. 

Don't really ever see this band getting talked about - piano driven post-rock.  Really nice stuff!  If you liked the newest Glaston you'd probably dig it.  Really heavily piano-centric.  Great stuff.

Edited by Gumbo72203

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/14/2023 at 10:31 PM, greenbeck said:

I have to give We Stood Like Kings another listen.  I really like the last couple of Kapitaen Platte releases. The  Les Dunes album in particular.

Rememory arrived today so need to go listen to that.  Been holding off until now to listen to the full album.  

DUUUUUUDE you have to check out the new Orak Oslo album!!!!  It's spacey motorik krautrock.  So, atmospheric like post-rock but different.  I can't get enough.  It's so groovy.  I'm so glad Justin told me about it.  One of my favorite new things I've been shown in years.  They have older albums on KP, but the new one isn't.  You mentioning them just made me think of it. 

On 6/2/2023 at 11:15 AM, prowl20 said:

I'll post this in the main PO's page as well but A Thousand Arms has a bunch of We Lost The Sea represses up. If you're like me and having FOMO every time "Departure Songs" gets repressed, now's a good chance

https://www.athousandarms.com/search?type=product&q=we lost the sea*

Had you not picked up a copy yet?  The black Dunk! pressing from like....  last year (?) has become my play copy.  It took me forever to get a good-playing one.  They always came with lots of surface noise and background nonsense.  With the upgrades that they've done recently, I'm betting that they'll all sound awesome moving forward.  Enjoy! 

On 5/28/2023 at 5:42 AM, Portsi said:

Chora has been my favourite post-metal this year. Emotional, heavy, perfect production and mastering. Have listened this album about 100 times already. 

https://choratn.bandcamp.com/album/there-lies-a-friend-i-once-knew

This is very good Cult of Luna worship haha.  Sounds great! 

Edit - holy fuck this is amazing

Edited by Gumbo72203

17 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Had you not picked up a copy yet?  The black Dunk! pressing from like....  last year (?) has become my play copy.  It took me forever to get a good-playing one.  They always came with lots of surface noise and background nonsense.  With the upgrades that they've done recently, I'm betting that they'll all sound awesome moving forward.  Enjoy! 

This is very good Cult of Luna worship haha.  Sounds great! 

Edit - holy fuck this is amazing

They were always a band that flew under my radar. At least until ~ 2020 when I saw their name mentioned EVERYWHERE. I tried numerous times to get into them and it just made me want to listen to "The Fire In Our Throats..." by Pelican. Not saying We Lost The Sea sounds cookie-cutter at all, but it just never resonated with me for some odd-reason. 

A few weeks ago I finally revisited them and it all clicked. 

3 minutes ago, prowl20 said:

They were always a band that flew under my radar. At least until ~ 2020 when I saw their name mentioned EVERYWHERE. I tried numerous times to get into them and it just made me want to listen to "The Fire In Our Throats..." by Pelican. Not saying We Lost The Sea sounds cookie-cutter at all, but it just never resonated with me for some odd-reason. 

A few weeks ago I finally revisited them and it all clicked. 

LOL, dude - same.  You can find my post on this very forum saying Departure Songs is boring, and I'm passing.  10 copies later........... (including all 3 Live at Dunk) here we are haha

dude this Chora is fucked up good.  Holy crap.  Too bad it'll never get vinyl, unless someone does 2xLP at 45rpm. 

59 minutes ago, greenbeck said:

If anyone is looking for reasonably priced TWDY vinyl….

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?sid=starsession&_pgn=1&isRefine=true&_trksid=p2349624.m3561.l49496

Turns out it’s Chris K from TWDY.  

That is very cheap...  turns out he's back in the band too, for now at least anyway.  JFC the prices for many of these on discogs are like double or triple what he's asking.....  

• 3 weeks later...