Jump to content
jhulud

Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion v.2.0

Recommended Posts

On 1/28/2019 at 3:16 PM, mrewest said:

Couple sweet looking new variants for Shy, Low’s “Hiraeth” up.

 

http://spartanrecords.limitedrun.com/products/558800-shy-low-hiraeth

 

 

Ordered swiftly from the band!!!  I just need the pink/clear 1st press now and I will have literally every physical media they've ever put out, including the eco-case and jewel-case versions of the S/T CD. 

 

 

In other news, if you have $12, you need to buy this RIGHT NOW while it's on sale.  This EP is so, so under-rated. 

FFO:  Pray For Sound, Lights and Motion, Maybeshewill.  Blissful happy upbeat post-rock with piano. 

https://ihearsirens.bandcamp.com/album/i-hear-sirens-ep

 

https://www.whiskeyandwaxrecords.com/store/I-Hear-Sirens-EP-10th-Anniversary-Edition-p104993959?fbclid=IwAR07XmBy7QfyR4nsAw0cFLRUQaZe56aFqctN_AXzi3rxYsbVfThfKdF2DLU

 

 

Edited by Gumbo72203

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

 

In other news, if you have $12, you need to buy this RIGHT NOW while it's on sale.  This EP is so, so under-rated. 

FFO:  Pray For Sound, Lights and Motion, Maybeshewill.  Blissful happy upbeat post-rock with piano. 

https://ihearsirens.bandcamp.com/album/i-hear-sirens-ep

 

https://www.whiskeyandwaxrecords.com/store/I-Hear-Sirens-EP-10th-Anniversary-Edition-p104993959?fbclid=IwAR07XmBy7QfyR4nsAw0cFLRUQaZe56aFqctN_AXzi3rxYsbVfThfKdF2DLU

 

 

Those FFOs make me wanna stay far away from that lol.  Unless we’re talking pre-Fair Youth MSW.  But based on the other bands listed I’m thinking not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, mrewest said:

Those FFOs make me wanna stay far away from that lol.  Unless we’re talking pre-Fair Youth MSW.  But based on the other bands listed I’m thinking not.

Dude, I’m so over it.  That isn’t me trying to sound pretentious or snobby or like some sort of post-rock elitist, but goddamn.  Lots of people insist the genre is dead (“dude crescendos lmao”) and I think a big part of that debate comes from how saturated the market is with that sound.  I’m not knocking Gumbo or anyone else who is into it.  I don’t think I’m better than anyone else because I’ve been burnt out on that style for years now.  And I’m not discouraging anyone from sharing what they’re stoked on.  But sometimes I feel like I’m just being a jaded asshole because I don’t get the appeal anymore.  So it’s a little refreshing to see a similar sentiment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

Dude, I’m so over it.  That isn’t me trying to sound pretentious or snobby or like some sort of post-rock elitist, but goddamn.  Lots of people insist the genre is dead (“dude crescendos lmao”) and I think a big part of that debate comes from how saturated the market is with that sound.  I’m not knocking Gumbo or anyone else who is into it.  I don’t think I’m better than anyone else because I’ve been burnt out on that style for years now.  And I’m not discouraging anyone from sharing what they’re stoked on.  But sometimes I feel like I’m just being a jaded asshole because I don’t get the appeal anymore.  So it’s a little refreshing to see a similar sentiment.

As you know I can dig some “standard crescendo-core” or whatever you wanna call it (Glories, Feed Me to tye Waves) but it has to be interesting.  I’ve tried to get into Pray For Sound but I feel like so many bands do what they do so much better.  The only parts of ‘Dreamer’ I could get into were the last couple songs that were more ambient sounding.  But then ‘Everything Is Beautiful’ is just a snoozefest start to finish.  I was hoping they would expand on the end of ‘Dreamer’ but that was clearly an anomaly.  

 

Lights and Motion just sucks I’m sorry. They (he?) take the most boring parts or post-rock & turn them into entire albums.  It’s like someone saying they love beer but say Michelob Ultra is their favorite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy ever living shit.  Stop what you are doing and listen to this song. 

Album of the year contender if the rest of it holds up to this. 

 

https://seeress.bandcamp.com/track/death-will-come-and-it-will-have-your-eyes


EDIT:

@mrewest and Derek (why can't I @ you?)  just check it and see for yourself haha.  Those were the only bands that i could think of that shared the same vibe as I Hear Sirens.  IHS has more of an edge, but they're all about the feel-good post-rock.  Glories would have been a good FFO in there, but I just didn't think of it. 

Edited by Gumbo72203

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Holy ever living shit.  Stop what you are doing and listen to this song. 

Album of the year contender if the rest of it holds up to this. 

 

https://seeress.bandcamp.com/track/death-will-come-and-it-will-have-your-eyes


EDIT:

@mrewest and Derek (why can't I @ you?)  just check it and see for yourself haha.  Those were the only bands that i could think of that shared the same vibe as I Hear Sirens.  IHS has more of an edge, but they're all about the feel-good post-rock.  Glories would have been a good FFO in there, but I just didn't think of it. 

Well now you’re talking!  I’ll check it out.  And yeah that Seeress song is tight.  I just learned about them recently & apparently are from Cleveland right by me.  They are playing a show coming up with Pillars who are pretty basic but still probably good live.  Gonna try & get to that.

 

I like the Seeress song “Repeller” from their last EP/album more than that new one http://seeress.bandcamp.com/album/great-void

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i got you @Gumbo72203. I like PFS and L&M and enjoy I Hear Sirens as well.  I still stand by my ranking of "Reanimation" as my favorite record of 2013, even though my tastes have evolved since then.

 

I enjoy some aspects of pop music, especially power pop, and I  get a visceral feeling from some of the more crescendo-oriented post rock music that I get when I hear a great chorus, bridge or refrain in a pop song. Its not all great or innovative and there is plenty of redundancy, but when something clicks, its something ill go back to over and over.

 

not to relitigate "is post-rock dead" but just my $0.02

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, mrewest said:

Lights and Motion just sucks I’m sorry. They (he?) take the most boring parts or post-rock & turn them into entire albums.  It’s like someone saying they love beer but say Michelob Ultra is their favorite.

This made me laugh out loud. So accurate!

 

6 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Holy ever living shit.  Stop what you are doing and listen to this song. 

Album of the year contender if the rest of it holds up to this. 

 

https://seeress.bandcamp.com/track/death-will-come-and-it-will-have-your-eyes

Finally some solid stuff! Let's not exaggerate though. It's very solid, Seeress are a good band but AOTY? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wisdom81 said:

This made me laugh out loud. So accurate!

 

Finally some solid stuff! Let's not exaggerate though. It's very solid, Seeress are a good band but AOTY? 

We all know Gumbo is the most legendary hype man out there ;).

 

But yeah I think Seeress is solid.  Would be shocked if it was AOTY material.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I know I was ripping on Gumbo’s The Sun Burns Bright last year for their Mad Libs approach to post-rock songwriting & song titling, but I gotta say this new one is killer.  Makes me want to revisit that first album.  This one is still pretty cookie cutter but there are well blended layers of heavy & light & ambient.  Nice builds & payoffs.  Each song holds your interest way better than ‘Through Dusk...’ did.

 

But I gotta say, putrid font choice.  My God.  The album art is fantastic but then someone went “Microsoft Word document” on top of it.  

 

http://thesunburnsbright.bandcamp.com/album/longing-for-a-place-yet-to-be-seen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eye roll of the year award goes to this band We Shine Every Night who randomly followed me on IG (I get like half a dozen random band follows a day lately).  But I gave them a chance.  As soon as I read the album title ‘All Shall Rise, All Shall Prosper’, I started feeling a little queasy.

 

Most generic shit ever.  Ugh.  It’s pretty much how I felt about The Sun Burns Bright’s first album, but this might even be worse.  

 

*rant over*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Holy ever living shit.  Stop what you are doing and listen to this song. 

Album of the year contender if the rest of it holds up to this. 

 

https://seeress.bandcamp.com/track/death-will-come-and-it-will-have-your-eyes

Gumbo, any word if this will come to vinyl? I'm a big fan of this track.

 

On 1/30/2019 at 1:13 PM, mrewest said:

Those FFOs make me wanna stay far away from that lol.  Unless we’re talking pre-Fair Youth MSW.  But based on the other bands listed I’m thinking not.

I feel obligated to stick up for I Hear Sirens - if I had to pick ten albums to describe my tastes in post-rock, their LP would probably make the list. These guys are so solid. Don't let some shoddy comparisons turn you away (really, L&M??) - a more accurate FFO would be Four Trees-era Caspian and early Beware of Safety. Listen for yourself if you have the time: https://ihearsirens.bandcamp.com/album/beyond-the-sea-beneath-the-sky

Edited by omik11303

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, omik11303 said:

Gumbo, any word if this will come to vinyl? I'm a big fan of this track.

 

I feel obligated to stick up for I Hear Sirens - if I had to pick ten albums to describe my tastes in post-rock, their LP would probably make the list. These guys are so solid. Don't let some shoddy comparisons turn you away (really, L&M??) - a more accurate FFO would be Four Trees-era Caspian and early Beware of Safety. Listen for yourself if you have the time: https://ihearsirens.bandcamp.com/album/beyond-the-sea-beneath-the-sky

Listening to Four Trees now!  So good timing on the comparison.  I’ll mix it in tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mrewest said:

Most generic shit ever.  Ugh.  It’s pretty much how I felt about The Sun Burns Bright’s first album, but this might even be worse.  

Sounds like a strong contender for Gumbo's other other AOTY.

 

I checked out that Seeress track based on the strong reception.  It seemed... decent?  I will say that the last 45 seconds or so, where the climactic riff comes in to chug away... that's that good shit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Sounds like a strong contender for Gumbo's other other AOTY.

 

I checked out that Seeress track based on the strong reception.  It seemed... decent?  I will say that the last 45 seconds or so, where the climactic riff comes in to chug away... that's that good shit.

Hahahaha... your signature Derek!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Sounds like a strong contender for Gumbo's other other AOTY.

Ahahahahah. How many are we at right now? 

 

13 hours ago, mrewest said:

So I know I was ripping on Gumbo’s The Sun Burns Bright last year for their Mad Libs approach to post-rock songwriting & song titling, but I gotta say this new one is killer.  Makes me want to revisit that first album.  This one is still pretty cookie cutter but there are well blended layers of heavy & light & ambient.  Nice builds & payoffs.  Each song holds your interest way better than ‘Through Dusk...’ did.

 

But I gotta say, putrid font choice.  My God.  The album art is fantastic but then someone went “Microsoft Word document” on top of it.  

 

 http://thesunburnsbright.bandcamp.com/album/longing-for-a-place-yet-to-be-seen

I have to say, this new album is pretty decent. Sounds less "forced", predictable and by the numbers than their first album. I remember that every single song in that album had pretty much the same structure and the whole thing was super boring.

 

I also realized I hadn't listened to the new Glasir album that much. I loved their Unborn EP but haven't given this one a decent chance yet. Gave it a go last night and almost fell asleep. Don't know if it was just off pure tiredness or if the album is simply boring. Need to give it another go with another mood.

 

Also, and please don't hate me, but that new The End Of The Ocean album is really growing on me. Didn't do much for me at first but, having listened to it about 5 or 6 times now, I get it. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, wisdom81 said:

I also realized I hadn't listened to the new Glasir album that much. I loved their Unborn EP but haven't given this one a decent chance yet. Gave it a go last night and almost fell asleep. Don't know if it was just off pure tiredness or if the album is simply boring. Need to give it another go with another mood.

For a band that lives in my back yard, I'm really sore they don't play more/any shows. Unborn does not get old.

I still haven't checked out their full length, and now I'm scared.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, wisdom81 said:

Also, and please don't hate me, but that new The End Of The Ocean album is really growing on me. Didn't do much for me at first but, having listened to it about 5 or 6 times now, I get it. 

 

 

No shame in that at all!  It’s not a bad album by any stretch.  There are just too many tracks that fade into the background for me.  I adore “foresaken” though.  It reminds me of ITTCT’s “Iron Glacier”.  But the past few days I’ve enjoyed just about every other post- album released in January I’ve listened to more than End of the Ocean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, mrewest said:

Ok to flip the script & bring some positivity back, this new Swarm of the Sun is really really good.  My goodness.  It’s like Spurv & Silent Whale put together but a much tighter album than those 2 bands have put out imo.  

I am LOVING the new Swarm of the Sun.  So much excite to see them at Dunk this summer!!!

On 1/30/2019 at 11:52 PM, shamrocks said:

i got you @Gumbo72203. I like PFS and L&M and enjoy I Hear Sirens as well.  I still stand by my ranking of "Reanimation" as my favorite record of 2013, even though my tastes have evolved since then.

 

I enjoy some aspects of pop music, especially power pop, and I  get a visceral feeling from some of the more crescendo-oriented post rock music that I get when I hear a great chorus, bridge or refrain in a pop song. Its not all great or innovative and there is plenty of redundancy, but when something clicks, its something ill go back to over and over.

 

not to relitigate "is post-rock dead" but just my $0.02

I get you with the pop thing.... that's why I love post-rock.  It pays off the same way when you need it to, just without some pretentious glitter drone gyrating at you. 

I also love Pray for Sound; I can't wait to hear what they do with the new album.  "Anything Can Be" is one of my all-time favorite post-rock songs.  So happy.

21 hours ago, omik11303 said:

Gumbo, any word if this will come to vinyl? I'm a big fan of this track.

 

I feel obligated to stick up for I Hear Sirens - if I had to pick ten albums to describe my tastes in post-rock, their LP would probably make the list. These guys are so solid. Don't let some shoddy comparisons turn you away (really, L&M??) - a more accurate FFO would be Four Trees-era Caspian and early Beware of Safety. Listen for yourself if you have the time: https://ihearsirens.bandcamp.com/album/beyond-the-sea-beneath-the-sky

Doubtful, but I'll ask.  My sense is that the Post. Recordings thing is like the CD-version of A Thousand Arms.  Also, do not fucking skip the old Seeress EP's.  Great Void is titanic, and so is Many Worlds.  Such an under-rated band. 

 

also haha I really didn't know who else to compare them to...  all those bands just kind of give me the same melodic emotional vibe.  Four Trees doesn't seem so accurate, at least in regards to the EP, but fuck if I know haha! 

11 hours ago, wisdom81 said:

Ahahahahah. How many are we at right now? 

 

I have to say, this new album is pretty decent. Sounds less "forced", predictable and by the numbers than their first album. I remember that every single song in that album had pretty much the same structure and the whole thing was super boring.

 

I also realized I hadn't listened to the new Glasir album that much. I loved their Unborn EP but haven't given this one a decent chance yet. Gave it a go last night and almost fell asleep. Don't know if it was just off pure tiredness or if the album is simply boring. Need to give it another go with another mood.

 

Also, and please don't hate me, but that new The End Of The Ocean album is really growing on me. Didn't do much for me at first but, having listened to it about 5 or 6 times now, I get it. 

 

 

I am trying so hard with the new Glasir and I just don't get it.  It doesn't DO anything.  It's just one moody riff repeated over and over with no payoff to me.  I wanted to like it so badly, because Unborn is so sick.  It feels unfinished, more than anything.  Like the ideas weren't developed, and they just recorded what they had.  Everyone seems to love "Black Seas of Eternity" though. 

I hope to have the same reaction to the new TEOTO.  That band is so good with the old stuff, and they're such nice people.  I hate that I don't love the new album yet.  It just feels like it needs vocals; the instrumentation isn't written to command your attention the way Pacific-Atlantic was. 

But I also famously said that Departure Songs was boring (go look it up, the posts are still here!) and I used to nay-say Mono.... who are now one of my favorite bands lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for Vinyl Collective. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×