Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion v.2.0

17 minutes ago, mrewest said:

Listening to Labirinto now.  Hope the whole album is as good as these 2 songs I listened to yesterday.

I went back and listened to their previous album & I found it soooo tedious.  These first songs from this album were light years ahead of anything off that one.

Yeah one of their old songs queued up after "Agnus Dei" on Youtube when I was listening the other day and it sounded like a totally different band. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on this one. I've now gone back for a few more listens and if anything it's gotten better. Those grooves on "Penitencia" and "Eleh Ha Devarim" might be too good.

I did a quick search and did not see that these guys were brought up anywhere on VC. I was under the impression they were a lot more well known than they are.

Certainly,  some of you have probably heard this?  Maybe I am just the only one who likes it?

Edited by deafening

10 minutes ago, omik11303 said:

Yeah one of their old songs queued up after "Agnus Dei" on Youtube when I was listening the other day and it sounded like a totally different band. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on this one. I've now gone back for a few more listens and if anything it's gotten better. Those grooves on "Penitencia" and "Eleh Ha Devarim" might be too good.

Finishing up now & it’s so good start to finish.  There’s a ton more depth to the songs & just so much meat on the bones relative to ‘Gehenna’.  I even got vibes of Russian Circles heaviest riffs mixed in here.  I feel like this album is a mix of RC & Audrey Fall.  But where Audrey Fall got real boring over time, this feels like it’ll have staying power.

Still gotta dig into the new Seeress.  I'm feeling a bit glum so I'm cranking death metal today haha. 

Speaking of bands that changed style, have you guys heard the new Latitudes song?  I didn't like their last album at all, but this new song is really interesting.  My friend said it sounds like The Ocean (i don't listen to them). 

I also listened to Geneva yesterday.  That album has some moments.  I dug parts of the title track, and Philos.  Surprise surprise, my favorite moments were the major-key post-rock parts haha.  Although when Geneva hops into that Slayer-style triplet groove... I was rocking. 

33 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Speaking of bands that changed style, have you guys heard the new Latitudes song?  I didn't like their last album at all, but this new song is really interesting.  My friend said it sounds like The Ocean (i don't listen to them). 

Dang, the ONLY thing I like from Latitudes is their last album. I thought this new song was really bland and uninteresting, but "Old Sunlight" came out of left field for me when it came out - maybe this new one will do something similar.

On 2/8/2019 at 7:22 PM, omik11303 said:

Dang, the ONLY thing I like from Latitudes is their last album. I thought this new song was really bland and uninteresting, but "Old Sunlight" came out of left field for me when it came out - maybe this new one will do something similar.

Word, I don't like Old Sunlight much at all haha.  It's unique and has it's own charm, but it's just not for me.  I'm liking this new song though, it reminds me almost of the direction that Callisto went.  Agonist was decent, but showed more promise than delivery I think. 

Evan also just saw Seeress the other night.... I'm super jealous.  He said they were crushing! 

5 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Evan also just saw Seeress the other night.... I'm super jealous.  He said they were crushing! 

Yuuuuup.  I was already loving ‘The Dream Passes’ more & more with each listen but seeing it all live took it to the next level.  That band is incredible live & every song translates sooo well.  

21 hours ago, mrewest said:

Oh also, Pillars played before Seeress & holy shit.  They were just about as good live.  They closed with a new song  & it was Caspian-esque.  Their new album is coming out in May & will be released via A1KA/Dunk.

This is good news.  Their last album was fine; decent enough standard post-rock but it had far too many elements that seemed copied from other bands (one riff was stolen from Not My Blood by Gates and then there is another song that copies a Caspian song, but I can't remember which off the top of my head).  Really curious to hear what they've come up with next. 

Just thought of a fun game.  I dunno who else loves going down You Tube rabbit holes to watch live performances but I thought it would be cool to post some of your favs if you have one.  

I’ve always been a sucker for this song. Just bummed they didn’t play this when I saw them a few years back.

On 2/12/2019 at 8:58 PM, Gumbo72203 said:

This is the first thing I thought of when I read this:

Guess my game isn’t popular LOL.

But yeah this song will always be top tier.  I feel like it’s even better live nowadays.  This recording doesn’t totally capture that overwhelming wall of sound you get in person though.  Would love an Audiotree version of this.

On 2/14/2019 at 3:12 PM, mrewest said:

Guess my game isn’t popular LOL.

But yeah this song will always be top tier.  I feel like it’s even better live nowadays.  This recording doesn’t totally capture that overwhelming wall of sound you get in person though.  Would love an Audiotree version of this.

Sorry, I just don't check in here as often as I used to. The one I've probably talked about the most is this benefit show Jakob did years ago, and Pneumonic (poor Maurice on bass) has the best sounding swells Jeff Boyle has ever done. Crappy YT video blows the studio away. Of course, the drunk guy in the crowd has to ruin it, but it's the only time I've ever seen Jeff crack a smile. 9 years ago. Starting at 2:10 until the breakout.

Jakob: Pneumonic (sorry I can't embed YT vids for some reason)

Edited by drds89

On 2/8/2019 at 7:22 PM, omik11303 said:

I tend to like their earlier postmetallish work more than the new prog direction and vocals on every track with the latest.

Old Sunlight wasn't bad, don't get me wrong, I had one of those very ltd versions from DM, and it's very listenable, I just wasn't spinning it like Agonist.

Agonist - Antechamber is probably my favorite track (yes, there are vocals I know haha)

Individuation is one on the *shels label that will never get pressed to vinyl but I would spin it after Agonist every time.

The Pirate Ship Quintet's newest is up for PO on Denovali. What's crazy is all the  spamming Timo does, it is not in his latest updates??

They apparently have done a lot of vocal collabs on this album, some on IG were quite clean vocals, and have added a saxophone on one track, & some  other stuff.  IDK, started getting a little nervous, hoping they didn't drop their gritty guitars and VIRTUOSO cellist (many think his parts are violin on S/T and RFNH), but the track on Soundcloud reassured me greatly.  There may be another track on social media, I was blasting through it today and not a lot of time.

Edit: shipping costs prohibitive, even for a group buy - I will probably wait for a Black copy to make it over here someday

TPSQ - Emitter PO on Denovali

TPSQ Symmetry Is Dead from Emitter on Soundcloud

Really like that track twice through, no vocals, great cello and gritty guitars :)

Edited by drds89

On 1/15/2019 at 8:15 PM, Derek™ said:

Yeah, don’t quote me on that Tertia news or get your hopes too high unless the band makes the album art their Facebook photo, or something.  They’ve got their plate full if they’re recording a new album this year like they’ve claimed they’ll be.

Dunk! do pre-orders, right?  I know that FF remaster drops in March.  I assume we’ll have the option to order before then, no?

Pre-order is up !

https://dunkrecords.com/collections/dunk-records-on-vinyl/products/gifts-from-enola-from-fathoms-lp

Thank you for that.  Didn't see if it's limited or if A1KA will receive a separate variant, but I placed an order for potential canceling just to lock one in before calling it a late night.  That variant sounds perfect.  Even with the 10% "first-buy" coupon for Dunk!, it was still a pretty steep price.  Wouldn't be opposed to A1KA stocking the same variant for $10 cheaper or so, but I'm sure it'll be well worth it either way.

Also, @mrewest – your suspicion came true: PSOTY confirmed they're recording a sophomore album to drop this year.  Awesome news.

21 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Thank you for that.  Didn't see if it's limited or if A1KA will receive a separate variant, but I placed an order for potential canceling just to lock one in before calling it a late night.  That variant sounds perfect.  Even with the 10% "first-buy" coupon for Dunk!, it was still a pretty steep price.  Wouldn't be opposed to A1KA stocking the same variant for $10 cheaper or so, but I'm sure it'll be well worth it either way.

Do you have a 10% discount code? I'd be more than happy to redeem it for you :)

8 hours ago, Sasan said:

Really? It shows 7.50€ for me when I choose USA...around the same as we pay within Germany.

I'm sorry it was late, yes 7.50 euros for 1 copy, which I may end up doing - it was for the potential group buy. Shipping sweet spot can be 2 - 4 records, before getting way too heavy, then you have to contact the label for 8 or more copies to get a decent shipping differential.

1 copy: 7.50

2 copies:  17.00  (???!!??)

3 copies: 33.00  (???!!??)

4 copies: 33.00

5 copies: 35.50

6 copies: 38.00

7 copies: 38.00

8 copies: 40.50

So, you can see where the break point is around 5 to 6 copies and not a super savings amount, because then there's US shipping to the group.

Derek is right, they won't fly out, but don't snooze too long on the /150. I like that it's clear. Denovali makes you pay PP conversion fees or via your CC.