Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion v.2.0

23 minutes ago, mrewest said:

This new PSOTY fucking SLAYS.  It’s like Fragments but cranked to 11.  I’m into the vocals a lot, but they don’t dominate the album.  There are a couple instrumemtals & long periods in the songs with no vocals, so if you don’t dig them, maybe they’re sparse enough to not hurt the album for you.

As a whole I will say the songs are a bit one dimensional & at least the first time through can be hard to separate from each other, but it’s just so LOUD & dense I don’t really mind.  The first real tempo change doesn’t hit until a couple minutes into the 3rd track, but it hits right before things get stale

imo.

My other minor gripe is that there isn’t a lot of depth to the drum beats, but this album is definitely about the nuclear guitars & bass.  Which btw, definitely some moments of Tool-esque bass in here.  A nice element especially after getting back into Tool casually lately.

Listen to this one cranked as loud as you can.   I wasn’t gonna splurge on vinyl but I may have to change that.

”Queen of Hades” is my early favorite.  That’s when that Tool bass really kicks in & then it’s filled in with like shoegaze-post-metal.

Dude thank you so much for bumping. Somehow I forgot that this released today so now I gotta crank this tonight...

14 hours ago, mrewest said:

This new PSOTY fucking SLAYS. 

That's next on my list.  I did the new Immanu El today, which was really well done.  My favorite from them in a long while.  I think they've finally figured out their new formula.  The songs are energetic and engaging but still have that low-dynamic vibe they've leaned into lately.  I like it a lot. 

This is my favorite

On 9/14/2019 at 12:42 AM, mrewest said:

Curious what you think!

Listened through twice, yeah it's awesome. I think they could've afforded to add another one or two sludgier or softer tracks because the pace does feel very one-dimensional, but it's like you said: it's just got so much else going for it that that's not a huge gripe. Early on my two favorites are "Queen of Hades" and "King of Ephyra". I went the longest time without picking up Fragments, and I don't think I'll be able to get my hands on a physical copy of this anytime soon, but I definitely anticipate that I'll pick it up somewhere down the line.

Finally got a chance to listen to PSOTY all the way through, and I'll echo sentiments above. A definite buy at some point, as the budget all of a sudden got destroyed with several expensive shoegaze releases, including Alcest.  I did not pick up /33 Ranges with coffee beans.

PSOTY first 2 EP's still need vinyl treatment. Heavy and good ISIS influence, carries through here and the vocals are as good or better than Latitudes.

When you've got a good groove going, why not keep it one-dimensional and just make it one long 50+ minute track with interludes?

Actually gravitating to this more than RC (blasphemy I know).

Edit: Juno Records siphons again with their lower prices and shipping

Edited by drds89

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

Thank you.  I guess they’re literally under “PSOTY”?  Has that always been a thing?

I think they completely let go of the "Pet Slimmers of the Year" name just before this album was released. Smart move.

PS: Album is killer!

Edited by wisdom81

5 hours ago, wisdom81 said:

I think they completely let go of the "Pet Slimmers of the Year" name just before this album was released. Smart move.

PS: Album is killer!

Yeah that name is really, really dumb.  I'm usually forgiving with dumb names but this one doesn't even make sense, and doesn't have any relation to their sound.  PSOTY isn't any better either, but so it goes. 

And yes, album is killer. 

One thing I've been listening to A LOT and CANNOT STOP listening to (aside from Outlander's new album) is the latest from Leech.  It's a bit old by now, but man... it's just SO creative, so engaging, and full of so much energy. 

If you don't know this, you need to. 

On 9/15/2019 at 11:38 PM, drds89 said:

Finally got a chance to listen to PSOTY all the way through, and I'll echo sentiments above. A definite buy at some point, as the budget all of a sudden got destroyed with several expensive shoegaze releases, including Alcest.  I did not pick up /33 Ranges with coffee beans.

PSOTY first 2 EP's still need vinyl treatment. Heavy and good ISIS influence, carries through here and the vocals are as good or better than Latitudes.

When you've got a good groove going, why not keep it one-dimensional and just make it one long 50+ minute track with interludes?

Actually gravitating to this more than RC (blasphemy I know).

Edit: Juno Records siphons again with their lower prices and shipping

I actually like it better than RC too.  I love Blood Year, but this is a better full album imo.

Ok time to go all Gumbo on y’all and say HOLY FUCK STOP WHAT YOU’RE DOING AND LISTEN TO THIS ALBUM.

http://underhand.bandcamp.com/album/the-secret-history-of-nothing

Imagine watching a volcano explode & gleefully showering in the lava.  LOL

But for real my first thoughts were Godspeed meets Grails mixed with Spotlights & adds drone/gaze elements & adds about 3 million pounds to the heaviness.  Probably horrible comparisons but it has the epic nature of Godspeed songs, some of that middle eastern flair of Grails & crushingly heavy bass/guitars of Spotlights.  The first two songs might be the heaviest things I’ve heard all year.

EDIT:  Those comparisons apply mostly to the first 2 tracks.  Overall it’s a pretty diverse yet cohesive album.  There’s a lot of different stuff going on.  Hard to really pinpoint all the things I hear.

Edited by mrewest

On 9/18/2019 at 11:40 AM, Gumbo72203 said:

Yeah that name is really, really dumb.  I'm usually forgiving with dumb names but this one doesn't even make sense, and doesn't have any relation to their sound.  PSOTY isn't any better either, but so it goes. 

And yes, album is killer. 

One thing I've been listening to A LOT and CANNOT STOP listening to (aside from Outlander's new album) is the latest from Leech.  It's a bit old by now, but man... it's just SO creative, so engaging, and full of so much energy. 

If you don't know this, you need to. 

Dude I stumbled across this a couple weeks ago myself & was surprised how good it was.  I forgot about this band.  This made me think it’s how CUTE wishes they still sounded.  

So uh.....  are you guys on Facebook, and has anybody been following this Mike Mill saga? 

I'm not really one for gossip, but some crazy, crazy, crazy shit just happened over the past week with This Patch of Sky.  Buckle your seatbelts, friends.  I don't know what's true and what's not, but apparently someone from This Patch of Sky had created fake Facebook profiles to trash talk the band Coastlands on all these Post-rock groups, as well as talk up TPOS.  People investigated, and the only posts these profiles ever made years ago were about TPOS and how great they were, life-changing music, etc etc. 

Turns out, one of the fake profile accounts (Mike Mill) used photos stolen from a member of Coastlands' friend's long-abandoned Tumblr account.  The name was changed, but this profile was used to spread shit about Coastlands and basically smear them.  According to Coastlands, this has been happening for years.  Jason (guitar player) finally made a statement about it this past week.

Word on the street is that This Patch of Sky is no more. 

:X :X :X :X :X :X :X :X :X :X :X :X :X

2 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

So uh.....  are you guys on Facebook, and has anybody been following this Mike Mill saga? 

I'm not really one for gossip, but some crazy, crazy, crazy shit just happened over the past week with This Patch of Sky.  Buckle your seatbelts, friends.  I don't know what's true and what's not, but apparently someone from This Patch of Sky had created fake Facebook profiles to trash talk the band Coastlands on all these Post-rock groups, as well as talk up TPOS.  People investigated, and the only posts these profiles ever made years ago were about TPOS and how great they were, life-changing music, etc etc. 

Turns out, one of the fake profile accounts (Mike Mill) used photos stolen from a member of Coastlands' friend's long-abandoned Tumblr account.  The name was changed, but this profile was used to spread shit about Coastlands and basically smear them.  According to Coastlands, this has been happening for years.  Jason (guitar player) finally made a statement about it this past week.

WAT

8 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Where did you see all this? In what groups?