PO: Radiohead - OK Computer - oknotok

1 hour ago, YouTwo said:

My comment wasn't meant to sound as snarky as it did when I re-read it.  Bull Moose doesn't seem to have a history of doing things like this so I bet they either really thought they were getting the copies and something changed or there was such demand to get the pre-order up that they went with what they thought they were getting in.  

Yea, I just didn't want to give off the impression that I was calling Bull Moose a "big bad player" in the grand scheme of things. And they generally deliver on their promises, so this was probably just an unfortunate side effect of the problems plaguing the hobby.

1. Flippers

2. Overzealous stores

3. A band only pressing however the fuck many copies of a legendary recording. Given the response to the limited nature of the "Burn the Witch" 7",  tack on the popularity of the white pressing of AMSP (both not legendary but oh-so-good), and I think those numbers should be way higher. And perhaps they are? Only time will tell.

4. When announcing sales/pre-orders/etc... all details should be given up front. If, for any reason, some details are not missing, then the pre-sale should not be offered until all is said and done. I get that this can also be a marketing tactic, but good god damn this kind of shit gets tiring.

When all is said and done, I will definitely be buying this album on black, hopefully on blue as well. It's just that if I don't get the blue I might as well take that amount and put it toward the deluxe. Just wanted to share some random thoughts on this whole process, as it really has been kind of interesting to see how this all pans out.

20 minutes ago, jaypeap said:

I got an email from hottracksmusicstore.com about an hour ago that has a P/O for Radiohead oknotok on Blue in case you need it. 

You have to email them, though.  Please see https://madmimi.com/p/d4b11a?fe=1&pact=4062428-139120804-9408393690-e28c45b735fcfbfef4e04465e50e95ff11b2059c for details

Thanks for that.  I got this email this morning too and totally missed it!  I hit James back at Hottracks.  Curious to see if you have to reply using that email (as if he's only offering up to email subscribers) or what. 

2 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Eager to get to the bottom of this fiasco, I reached out to The Radioheads on Facebook to see if they could clarify anything.  Tom York himself replied directly and apologized for the confusion.  Amazing.  Apparently there are 700 of these worldwide, not 7,000.  Only two zeroes. He's unsure where the extra zero came from, and asked that I just buy the deluxe boxset to be safe.  I told him I'd do it if it meant no alarms and no surprises.  He told me to fuck off and blocked me. 

This is really fuckin ridiculous. I'm willing to bet that this "typo" is going to go to court somehow somewhere internationally.

1 hour ago, jaypeap said:

I got an email from hottracksmusicstore.com about an hour ago that has a P/O for Radiohead oknotok on Blue in case you need it. 

You have to email them, though.  Please see https://madmimi.com/p/d4b11a?fe=1&pact=4062428-139120804-9408393690-e28c45b735fcfbfef4e04465e50e95ff11b2059c for details

Thanks for the heads up. I'd never heard of Hot Tracks, but I signed up for their daily offers and sent them an email. Figured I'd give it a shot. I also got the email from Bull Moose about my blue variant order, so I'm going to assume there's no chance I'm getting one there.

1 hour ago, jaypeap said:

Do you know which email address to send the order to? I see there is a gmail address on their website under contact us or should I send to [email protected]?  Thanks!!

2 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Eager to get to the bottom of this fiasco, I reached out to The Radioheads on Facebook to see if they could clarify anything.  Tom York himself replied directly and apologized for the confusion.  Amazing.  Apparently there are 700 of these worldwide, not 7,000.  Only two zeroes. He's unsure where the extra zero came from, and asked that I just buy the deluxe boxset to be safe.  I told him I'd do it if it meant no alarms and no surprises.  He told me to fuck off and blocked me. 

I saw that! I replied to his reply and told him I would cut my balls off for a blue press. He said he'd get the whole gang to sign it for me and lick each side of the record, then personally deliver it to me. Great guy, decent customer service.

I saw Thom Yorke in a grocery store in LA today. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn't want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, "Oh, like you're doing now?"
I was taken aback, and all I could say was "Huh?" but he kept cutting me off and going "huh? huh? huh?" and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw Thom trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like "Sir, you need to pay for those first." At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually "to prevent any electrical infetterence," and then turned around and winked at me. I don't even think that's a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

2 minutes ago, DOMAN127 said:

I saw Thom Yorke in a grocery store in LA today. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn't want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

I was taken aback, and all I could say was "Huh?" but he kept cutting me off and going "huh? huh? huh?" and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw Thom trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like "Sir, you need to pay for those first." At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually "to prevent any electrical infetterence," and then turned around and winked at me. I don't even think that's a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

Nice guy

8 minutes ago, DOMAN127 said:

Hey all. This is Thom Yorke. I found some bloke's phone on the tube and it was opened and logged in to this thread. Anyone who can get me in contact with the rightful owner gets a free copy of the blue OK Comp reissue (if I can actually secure one from the distributor, TBD).

Edited by richardsurf

29 minutes ago, DOMAN127 said:

:lol: Is this where I say 'cool story, bro'?

41 minutes ago, Canuckle said:

If this is really out of 700, I can't wait to watch the vinyl community burn. That's gonna be a LOT of cancelled orders. 

Also, I expect BM to get their fair share of hate from selling copies they don't have, right? right????

They probably will get hate.  But they thought they were getting copies, it turns out they might not.  I didn't give them any money yet.  It sucks but I'll get over it.  Shit happens and like I said before it's not like Bull Moose has a history of taking pre-orders that they can't fill.  

37 minutes ago, YouTwo said:

They probably will get hate.  But they thought they were getting copies, it turns out they might not.  I didn't give them any money yet.  It sucks but I'll get over it.  Shit happens and like I said before it's not like Bull Moose has a history of taking pre-orders that they can't fill.  

Plus they were extremely transparent in explaining the situation. Of all the places to complain about, BM isn't one.

Thread update: 10 pages later we have reached the Bull Moose Circle-Jerk Phase. Even when Bull Moose does wrong they get tugged. Not even in SRC's wettest dreams could they aspire to that status (and for good reason). But for real, BM is usually great and all, but something like this is no reason to be celebrating them. You can criticize but still approve of them.

Edited by rogeoa8

5 minutes ago, rogeoa8 said:

Thread update: 10 pages later we have reached the Bull Moose Circle-Jerk Phase. Even when Bull Moose does wrong they get tugged. Not even in SRC's wettest dreams could they aspire to that status (and for good reason). But for real, BM is usually great and all, but something like this is no reason to be celebrating them. You can criticize but still approve of them.

BM = one of the biggest independent record stores in the US. Likely thought they were getting a ton. Cut off preorders at a time they thought would be safe to fulfill orders. *May* have oversold (this has yet to be seen).

That other store, whoever it was, probably a small time operation. Left preorders up for... what was it like 12 hours? Longer? While their link got passed around here, Reddit, who knows where else. No fucking chance they were fulfilling those orders.

Two completely different animals. I'm sure if anyone's BM order does get canceled they will be upset (as upset as anyone should be about not getting a colored record, hopefully no more than that) but there's no reason to grab your pitchforks just yet.