PO NOW: Japanese Breakfast - "Soft Sounds From Another Planet" (Out 07.14.17)

48 minutes ago, deftbarley said:

I'm a member of secretly society but I'm going to cancel. Every release has way better and more limited variants elsewhere. I know it's not for everyone but for me, I enjoy collecting the more limited variants if I can. I'm not obsessive but for new releases like this, it's part of the fun. I wish secretly society would batch their releases into variants of 500 or something. 

Have they ever said how many they press per release though?

The only one we know for definite is that Jason Molina live album that was released last year, limited to 450.

I know the club reached 1000 members at some point thanks to Bright Eyes but not sure how many of them would have stuck with it, I’d imagine most of the releases over the past 12 months have ended up being 600-800. I guess looking at the Discogs sales value it probably looks way more common as (as with most subs) you’ll have people part of the club who have no interest in that month’s pick.

44 minutes ago, Boourns said:

What's the most limited variant so far? The signed pink is sold out 

Yeah probably Spotify, TTL, or VMP are the most limited.  

I can say that the pink glass is probably either /750 or /1000 based on the inventory earlier.  

but with this many variants I don’t think limited will really matter.  I say just get the one you like the most.  

3 hours ago, HeartSwells said:

I know the club reached 1000 members at some point thanks to Bright Eyes but not sure how many of them would have stuck with it, I’d imagine most of the releases over the past 12 months have ended up being 600-800. I guess looking at the Discogs sales value it probably looks way more common as (as with most subs) you’ll have people part of the club who have no interest in that month’s pick.

That's what I think did it for me. The Bright Eyes boost. But even the latest release Claud. Their limited variant is listed as sold out but the secretly society version is still available. It's a great sub with great records. And I love supporting the home state Indiana labels. I just feel like the economy of it is off now.

4 hours ago, deftbarley said:

That's what I think did it for me. The Bright Eyes boost. But even the latest release Claud. Their limited variant is listed as sold out but the secretly society version is still available. It's a great sub with great records. And I love supporting the home state Indiana labels. I just feel like the economy of it is off now.

Most subscriptions have extra copies lying around much longer solely because they're locked behind a pay wall. Just because the limited Claud sold out first doesn't mean it was more limited than the sub variant.

Also I'm gonna guess the VMP version is some sort of clear with multiple smoke variant. Hoping yellow and orange.

Edited by Your Ex-Wife

• 2 months later...

Record came in, I guess this is a lesson in not trusting mock ups / reading the description. I swore that the end of an ear was going to be opaque like the image. It's just a translucent orange/gold that you've probably seen on a million records. I think I own 10+ records of this same color so that's a little upsetting. Might go for a clear w/ yellow haze after all.

No seam splits though...

Edited by MCDELTAT

5 hours ago, MCDELTAT said:

Record came in, I guess this is a lesson in not trusting mock ups / reading the description. I swore that the end of an ear was going to be opaque like the image. It's just a translucent orange/gold that you've probably seen on a million records. I think I own 10+ records of this same color so that's a little upsetting. Might go for a clear w/ yellow haze after all.

No seam splits though...

Turntable Lab's variant is opaque. It doesn't help that both their mockups look practically identical. 

Edited by ghost

1 hour ago, ghost said:

Turntable Lab's variant is opaque. It doesn't help that both their mockups look practically identical. 

Both were clarified though. I remember having this conversation with someone and then going with the orange because it was clear rather than opaque like the yellow when preorders went up.

1 hour ago, Your Ex-Wife said:

Both were clarified though. I remember having this conversation with someone and then going with the orange because it was clear rather than opaque like the yellow when preorders went up.

Haven't seen an image of the TTL version yet, but sounds like I may try to swap for that one. Clear w/ yellow came out wimpy, expected, haven't seen VMP images yet.

13 hours ago, Your Ex-Wife said:

You're right, it was. I was really just commenting on the mocks since you can't really tell them apart. I personally went with the solid yellow since I don't think I own a single variant of that exact color.