PO: The National - Sleep Well Beast

13 minutes ago, richardsurf said:

Long story short, I think you can shrug and say "Who cares, I guess" when a band/label pumps out 7 pre-order variants (which is what I do as a non-variant collector) but it still effects the way we absorb the music.

Thus is one of the most intriguing aspects of (vinyl) collectors and obsessors.

Does the "high" of obtaining a /150 variant of an album enhance the overall listening experience? Or does it actually diminish it, because the focus is put more on the format/object/hunt than the actual music itself? If the release/format/variant strategy actually had an impact on how we absorb the music, how do you explain that people who are entirely oblivious to those products may enjoy the art just as much as a rabid collector?

You closed with "I'd prefer the record be simply the record as much as possible" meaning that the options available influences your overall perception of the album and potentially music itself. I'd say that's pretty telling. And I'm not saying I'm much/any different.

We're all sick people.  B)

2 minutes ago, The Saint said:

Sleep Well, Beast

A Moon-Shaped Pool agrees with you.

2 minutes ago, lethalenforcer said:

Thus is one of the most intriguing aspects of (vinyl) collectors and obsessors.

Does the "high" of obtaining a /150 variant of an album enhance the overall listening experience? Or does it actually diminish it, because the focus is put more on the format/object/hunt than the actual music itself? If the release/format/variant strategy actually had an impact on how we absorb the music, how do you explain that people who are entirely oblivious to those products may enjoy the art just as much as a rabid collector?

You closed with "I'd prefer the record be simply the record as much as possible" meaning that the options available influences your overall perception of the album and potentially music itself. I'd say that's pretty telling. And I'm not saying I'm much/any different.

We're all sick people.  B)

this is why we keep you around ;)

2 minutes ago, lethalenforcer said:

It doesn't diminish or enhance. It just changes it. I think the listener/reader is the one who brings the value system to it. In my case, I would want to have as few variants, formats, alternate track listings, etc., as I place positive value in the idea that the work is more of an art piece than a commercial product and that there is a definitive version of the record that the artist/band had in mind.

If someone isn't aware of a portion of the context, whether it is the amount of different formats or the back story that inspired the concept of the record, that missing context won't affect the meaning they get from the album/book/work. And the difference wouldn't be in how much they enjoy something but what kind of meaning they get from the album. It would be a different experience/meaning than that of someone who researched all the formats and read articles about how the album was made and why, etc. Again, it would be different; not necessarily better or worse.

I'd argue, so what if the band or label pumps out 7 different variants, you as the listener need to determine out what you find valuable in collecting vinyl. I am in no way saying that variants shouldn't impact your listening experience, to each their own in that respect, but I do think saying that your listening experience is weakened with more variants is unfair to the band/labels and passing the buck. Especially when most of these variants spawn from the label or other distributors (e.g., Newburry, Invada, VMP, etc.), and the band could care less as long as people are listening. 

So to side a bit with @lethalenforcer, it's more telling of the listener than the band/label if a listening experience is changed because you know there's 6 other variants out there. But hey, that is part of being a vinyl collector these days for a lot of people so I'm not trying to throw shade, just don't think the blame lies with product creator. ^_^

Edited by Canuckle

1 minute ago, AdamJNovak said:

Just went ahead and ordered the blue from 4AD. Does that include a digital copy of the new single? If so, haven't gotten that email yet. 

I ordered from the National store and got a download - it was in the confirmation email (bold mine)

The National thanks you - your order is confirmed and has been received! 

This charge will appear on your statement from STORE 08 
You can access your music to download by clicking here. Please note that music files must first be downloaded to a computer before being transferred to a mobile device.

6 minutes ago, tvham said:

I ordered from the National store and got a download - it was in the confirmation email (bold mine)

The National thanks you - your order is confirmed and has been received! 

This charge will appear on your statement from STORE 08 
You can access your music to download by clicking here. Please note that music files must first be downloaded to a computer before being transferred to a mobile device.

Checked my downloadables on the 4ad site and it says I don't have any. That's kind of lame.. 

1 minute ago, allenh said:

When I click on that I get white now not grey

Weird.

I preordered the gray through here, as I figured it was no-risk:

https://www.amazon.de/Sleep-Well-Beast-Coloured-Vinyl/dp/B0716RP8XG/

Could be a mistake, maybe that's the white version as well.

Edited by lethalenforcer

I bought two concert tickets for The National's upcoming tour, so I received two free download codes for their album on September 8.

Each code allows one free download of the album on September 8, OR you can 'upgrade' to the white vinyl 2xLP set for $22 postpaid in the USA.

I do not plan to use the codes: if you will definitely use one, please PM me.    You enter your order instructions today but you don't get the album download until September 8.

On 5/11/2017 at 1:45 PM, lethalenforcer said:

On 5/11/2017 at 1:49 PM, The Saint said:

Aw jeez, now I have to sell my copy.

I mean I know albums throw grammar by the wayside quite often. For some reason, this one is just bothering me. 

Any other band, and I would assume a mistake, but not with Thom. 

The hyphen is only necessary with a compound modifier, so, A Moon-Shaped Pool = a pool shaped like the moon

Since the hyphen isn't there, it has a different meaning, A Moon Shaped Pool = a pool shaped by the moon (its gravitational pull)

I interpret that as the ocean, but take it as you please. 

Not sure what's up with the National album title, can't help there. 

On Wed May 10 2017 at 11:18 PM, Derek™ said:

I wonder what the inevitable VMP variant will be.  Clear?  Silver?

What do you guys think about the single?

Has anyone from VMP said/hinted anything about a variant? I don't frequent the VMP boards as much as I used to. I know VMP had exclusives of SSFDL and CT but those were both on Brassland not 4AD, so unless VMP has said something I don't think a VMP variant of SWB is inevitable.

3 hours ago, ksuwdboots said:

Has anyone from VMP said/hinted anything about a variant? I don't frequent the VMP boards as much as I used to. I know VMP had exclusives of SSFDL and CT but those were both on Brassland not 4AD, so unless VMP has said something I don't think a VMP variant of SWB is inevitable.

Inevitable may be an exaggeration, I guess.  But SWB was in the alleged "leak" of upcoming VMP projects, and when the same ex-VMP employee was asked when we could expect to see it, he estimated October – i.e., within a month of the official album release.  He wouldn't clarify whether it was going to be VMP's record of the month, or just a store exclusive, but this was weeks ago, before any The National dropped their own announcements.  Obviously not a guarantee but the estimated time frame lines up and it wouldn't surprise me at all.

• 5 weeks later...

New song, Guilty Party

Also, they're having a "Guilty Party" in Hudson, N.Y. next month, featuring collaborative performances, and those attending get a limited edition Guilty Party/The System Only Dreams In Total Darkness 7". If anyone is going, I will gladly buy the 7" off you to keep my collection going. 

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-national-guilty-party-tickets-35737901024?aff=national