PO: The National - Sleep Well Beast

Quick little update and friendly PSA for anyone curious.

The only available rips that are floating around at the time of this post are from the vinyl.  They require you to bump up your volume a good amount.  One of them is wildly more popular and available than the other – the smaller of the two.  It's at about 129 MB, and was recorded from vinyl at the wrong pitch.  [It's about 2-3 BPM faster than the actual tracks, I've been told.]  There is a larger version – 160 MB – that is at the correct pitch.  There's audible popping on the D-side during the more quiet moments, but it's very listenable if you absolutely need to get it out of your system.  Hope that helps anyone else itching to hear this album.

4 hours ago, cbjornson said:

Not sure if it was mentioned in here, but Barnes and Noble has signed copies of Sleep Well Beast available. 

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/sleep-well-beast-the-national/31387677?ean=0191400002036

Thanks. Cancelled my other order and got this 

Got one of these signed exclusives (saw it on reddit). Can't wait! 

I have just posted the interview i did with the band in Denmark. It's in spanish but if anyone wants to check out: -> http://www.binaural.es/entrevista/entrevista-the-national-las-canciones-sleep-well-beast-suenan-mucho-mas-ambiciosas-las-anteriores-obras/

7 minutes ago, thesewoodenideas said:

Excellent. Shipping to UK is very cheap from Barnes and noble.Fingers crossed.

I don't think Barnes and Noble are notorious for allowing orders they can't fulfil to be placed. You can probably relax those fingers. Unless you want to keep them crossed that the album makes it over to you without getting trashed by the journey.

Edited by dantheriver

On 9/3/2017 at 4:58 PM, Derek™ said:

Quick little update and friendly PSA for anyone curious.

The only available rips that are floating around at the time of this post are from the vinyl.  They require you to bump up your volume a good amount.  One of them is wildly more popular and available than the other – the smaller of the two.  It's at about 129 MB, and was recorded from vinyl at the wrong pitch.  [It's about 2-3 BPM faster than the actual tracks, I've been told.]  There is a larger version – 160 MB – that is at the correct pitch.  There's audible popping on the D-side during the more quiet moments, but it's very listenable if you absolutely need to get it out of your system.  Hope that helps anyone else itching to hear this album.

That explains it...thought I was going crazy having to turn up the volume. I heard the corrected one then, I guess.

I think it's their best album in terms of cohesion and emotional liveliness. Their sterile moodiness (which I love and think they do very well) is replaced with a looseness that they haven't had since Alligator; that looseness is used very differently—Matt's direct lyrics, his wider range of vocal melodies, and the band's use of electronic layers instead of plain rocking out with guitars—but it definitely reminds me of the freedom of those earlier days. And 'Dark Side of the Gym' is just the most delightful and sweet song. Anyone else and it'd be a pedestrian and cheesy sentiment/tone but from the National it's a big sign of how confident and loose they've grown after all these years of playing the guarded intellectual posturing as depressed at the nice downtown whiskey bar.

On 9/3/2017 at 4:18 PM, cbjornson said:

Not sure if it was mentioned in here, but Barnes and Noble has signed copies of Sleep Well Beast available. 

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/sleep-well-beast-the-national/31387677?ean=0191400002036

Thanks for this! Is it mentioned anywhere if this will be standard black, blue or a white variant?