Chris Cornell (1964-2017)

31 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

I just want to be clear that I am NOT one of those people.

Got it. It just came off that way and many people do have that mindset. I don't want to get away from the fact that the world lost an amazing artist and the way he apparently left us is heartbreaking.

I understand completely. It really is a struggle to discuss things like this when people don't understand it or dwarf the problem by not being fully educated on it.

I really am sad about this one and I am usually not one to get upset at the passing of musicians but I guess he was more integral to my musical development and tastes than others who've passed recently and to think there will never be more Soundgarden, really hurts. Moreover, I felt like he had a similar outlook to mine on a lot of big issues and learning that about him gave me a real sense of kinship and made me feel more connected to particular songs and to him as well. I was looking forward to his future expressions on topics like the aforementioned.

I think I still have this on VHS somewhere.  I was a senior in high school when Badmotorfinger dropped.  Instantly made me go dig up Screaming Life, Ultramega OK, and Loud Love which quickly became favorites.  This early period of their music will always be special to me.  Massive loss today...

i remember my dad having a VHS that I believe he record from Pay Per View back in the day, Guns N Roses with Soundgarden opening. I believe it was around 92 and was the Use Your Illusions tour. Im pretty sure he still has it, which I need to take from him, but that was my first experience with Soundgarden. I was 6 and remember rewinding it over and over to watch soundgarden...

Edit: sorry for the jibber jabber..

Edited by KingTacoMunster

46 minutes ago, KingTacoMunster said:

i remember my dad having a VHS that I believe he record from Pay Per View back in the day, Guns N Roses with Soundgarden opening. I believe it was around 92 and was the Use Your Illusions tour. Im pretty sure he still has it, which I need to take from him, but that was my first experience with Soundgarden. I was 6 and remember rewinding it over and over to watch soundgarden...

Edit: sorry for the jibber jabber..

i actually saw soundgarden on that tour.. it was such a good show all around. 

Total bummer all around about this. I was in high school when the whole "alternative" thing started. And being a metal guy Soundgarden and Alice in Chains were best thing to come out of that scene because they weren't alternative to me. Was really looking forward to a new Soundgarden album because I think they were headed into the studio.

I'm a little confused about all of the reports. His wife said she talked to him before and after the show and he seemed fine. But then had someone check on him at midnight. Seems weird. Why check on him again if he was fine?

5 minutes ago, Mars said:

Pretty insensitive to even joke that these two things are remotely in the same category of bad news. 

Deal with it! 

Pretty insensitive to even joke that these two things are remotely in the same category of bad news. 

Deal with it! 

Deal with it! 

53 minutes ago, jonnystorm777 said:

Deal with it! 

Deal with it! 

Deal with it! 

No need to be a dick

43 minutes ago, videogamesandvinyl said:

Pretty sure he was making light of a shitty situation. Don't take shit so seriously...  

I recognize and acknowledged that it was likely a joke.  But it was in poor taste and it was too soon, and so I commented (rather mildly, imo).

I'm a pretty laid back guy, but don't tell me how to "take shit".

2 hours ago, kgry said:

I'm a little confused about all of the reports. His wife said she talked to him before and after the show and he seemed fine. But then had someone check on him at midnight. Seems weird. Why check on him again if he was fine?

Also the show ended around 11:15 and reports said that they found him around midnight. So that is a pretty small window for her to get that worried if there were no signs of something being wrong.  So crazy that it all happened that fast. Tragic all around. Here's a couple pics from last night. I try not to be the dick taking pictures all show but I'm glad i got a few.

a_IMG_20170517_222843.jpga_IMG_20170517_211908.jpg

Edited by fish

1 hour ago, fish said:

Also the show ended around 11:15 and reports said that they found him around midnight. So that is a pretty small window for her to get that worried if there were no signs of something being wrong.  So crazy that it all happened that fast. Tragic all around. Here's a couple pics from last night. I try not to be the dick taking pictures all show but I'm glad i got a few.

Dude you gotta post more. This show is going down in history...

Fuck, I'm falling back... Bringing me back to those early 90s when I was a kid getting into this whole Seattle scene. I was heavily into metal, but when that scene broke out was so refreshing. I totally connected with AIC and Soundgarden the most. Course I was still Pantera and White Zombie Slayer and shit. But Soundgarden really hit the spot. And so did AIC.

I pulled everything out. CD VHS tape DVDs and records and tapes. Fuckin nostalgic and all...

Rip bro, we love ya

4 hours ago, fish said:

Fantastic pics. I was supposed to see Soundgarden tomorrow at Rock on the Range, otherwise I would have driven to Detroit for the show there. The Fox is an amazing venue. I don't know if seeing that performance would have made it better or worse though. Thankful I got to see Soundgarden many times. 

Absolutely devastated, Superunkown was a soundtrack to my youth an all time favourite album...

had an emo moment on the way to work this morning when Black Hole Sun came on the radio...

Never saw Soundgarden Live had 2 opportunities at festivals but always thought they'd come round again on their own headline tour.

Thoughts to his family and loved ones, he is a Legend.

16 hours ago, jonnystorm777 said:

http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_News/2017/05/19/Chris-Cornells-wife-lawyer-say-Ativan-use-may-have-contributed-to-his-death/4991495189256/

"Without the results of toxicology tests, we do not know what was going on with Chris -- or if any substances contributed to his demise," Cornell family attorney Kirk Pasich argued in his own statement Friday. "Chris, a recovering addict, had a prescription for Ativan and may have taken more Ativan than recommended dosages. The family believes that if Chris took his life, he did not know what he was doing, and that drugs or other substances may have affected his actions."

"Chris' death is a loss that escapes words and has created an emptiness in my heart that will never be filled," Vicky Cornell added. "As everyone who knew him commented, Chris was a devoted father and husband. He was my best friend. His world revolved around his family first and, of course, his music, second. He flew home for Mother's Day to spend time with our family. He flew out mid-day Wednesday, the day of the show, after spending time with the children. When we spoke before the show, we discussed plans for a vacation over Memorial Day and other things we wanted to do. When we spoke after the show, I noticed he was slurring his words; he was different. When he told me he may have taken an extra Ativan or two, I contacted security and asked that they check on him. ... What happened is inexplicable and I am hopeful that further medical reports will provide additional details. I know that he loved our children and he would not hurt them by intentionally taking his own life." "

15 hours ago, Mars said:

No need to be a dick

I recognize and acknowledged that it was likely a joke.  But it was in poor taste and it was too soon, and so I commented (rather mildly, imo).

I'm a pretty laid back guy, but don't tell me how to "take shit".

You should probably stay off the internet for a while.