new RARE / COLLECTABLE ONLY store in NYC wants to buy your rare records

thepunkguy

I'm curious if you picked up any Less Than Jake stuff, particularly on your Japan trip. Also, if you're interested in some old OOP LTJ 7" records or some of the newer variants (Sound the Alarm tour press) I have a lot of extras at the moment. Including some of the vinyl/resin figures and the 7" Cereal Box. I also have some side project records from the mid-90s to present like Vanbuilderass and Coffee Project. Just let me know. Would love to work something out. And will definitely be checking out the shop next time I'm in town. Wish you opened last summer, I was working in the East Village on my show haha.

5 hours ago, thenameisluigi said:

I'm curious if you picked up any Less Than Jake stuff, particularly on your Japan trip. Also, if you're interested in some old OOP LTJ 7" records or some of the newer variants (Sound the Alarm tour press) I have a lot of extras at the moment. Including some of the vinyl/resin figures and the 7" Cereal Box. I also have some side project records from the mid-90s to present like Vanbuilderass and Coffee Project. Just let me know. Would love to work something out. And will definitely be checking out the shop next time I'm in town. Wish you opened last summer, I was working in the East Village on my show haha.

hey!!

we didn't find a ton of LTJ stuff.  I think we have like three or four 45's and maybe two or three LP's.

nothing insanely hard to find besides maybe a hand screened GNV and maybe a 45 here or there.

and we're  always down for cool stuff in the store.

hit me up on here and let's chat.

On 7/2/2017 at 5:28 PM, thepunkguy said:

hey!!

we didn't find a ton of LTJ stuff.  I think we have like three or four 45's and maybe two or three LP's.

nothing insanely hard to find besides maybe a hand screened GNV and maybe a 45 here or there.

and we're  always down for cool stuff in the store.

hit me up on here and let's chat.

Right on. Shot you a PM. I'm traveling quite a bit this month but if we work something out I can mail anything out next weekend in time for your opening =)

21 hours ago, zackdumbass said:

I'll be moving to NYC early next month. Cannot wait to frequent here! I have my eye on that Japanese GNR EP :blink:

awesome.

can't wait for you to check it out.

I am not sure it'll last but we'll see.

honestly.  when I bought it I thought it was Appetite.  didn't realize it was the EP till I got home.

oops.

1 hour ago, thepunkguy said:

awesome.

can't wait for you to check it out.

I am not sure it'll last but we'll see.

honestly.  when I bought it I thought it was Appetite.  didn't realize it was the EP till I got home.

oops.

It probably won't last, but if I miss out on this I'm more than positive there will be plenty of other options for me in the future. EP is still very cool though!

5 minutes ago, zackdumbass said:

It probably won't last, but if I miss out on this I'm more than positive there will be plenty of other options for me in the future. EP is still very cool though!

maybe no one will buy it..

I am having a bit of trouble gauging how well the store is going to do..

I know it's going to do well.  just don't know how well, you know?

On 5/25/2017 at 11:25 AM, thepunkguy said:

first of all.

we're working with a few different labels to offer out of print items. and sold out po's at non flipper prices.

so let's say you missed a PO for something from a label, we're going to try to carry those.

also, NYC is on the one place where there's enough foot traffic and bands touring and interest

from collectors.

second.

this store really doesn't exist, you know? the goal is, is to have a store filled with "wall records".

honestly, I know it's a gamble but I have been collecting for a while and I am going to try to make this

the store I would love to go to as a customer.

also.  our rent is pretty low and we got a deal for a bit of time on it.

it's not going to be a HUGE store.  

This post is precisely why I believe the store will thrive. There are a hundred different record shops in NYC, but none specialize in limited and hard to find items. The main reason I can spend hours digging deep in a store is because I'm looking for a future prized possession. While I love listening to vinyl and appreciate the musical quality aspect of it, something else I really love is collecting and being able to say "Yeah, I have my favorite album by X band, and it's actually 1/500 in an orange splatter pressing." 

The fact that you are working with labels to get out of print items is attracting as well. Secondhand markets are rough on the wallet and drive me crazy since none of the extra profit is going to the people who deserve it. 

Unfortunately I won't be able to make your grand opening, but I will gladly give my honest feedback when I arrive in August! It would certainly benefit me to have a store like this thrive in East Village.

Edited by zackdumbass

11 hours ago, zackdumbass said:

This post is precisely why I believe the store will thrive. There are a hundred different record shops in NYC, but none specialize in limited and hard to find items. The main reason I can spend hours digging deep in a store is because I'm looking for a future prized possession. While I love listening to vinyl and appreciate the musical quality aspect of it, something else I really love is collecting and being able to say "Yeah, I have my favorite album by X band, and it's actually 1/500 in an orange splatter pressing." 

The fact that you are working with labels to get out of print items is attracting as well. Secondhand markets are rough on the wallet and drive me crazy since none of the extra profit is going to the people who deserve it. 

Unfortunately I won't be able to make your grand opening, but I will gladly give my honest feedback when I arrive in August! It would certainly benefit me to have a store like this thrive in East Village.

thank you. and thank you

I think we're trying to please a few different kinds of collectors.

I know the thing I love the most is walking into a shop and seeing some crazy rare record on the wall.

maybe something I didn't know existed or something I have never seen in person.

a lot of shops use this as a chance to over price these records but we are trying our best to

not.

also we have some cool ideas on how to present the LPs that we haven't shared with a lot of people.

but we're going to be featuring all of our LPs with our own Obi Strips. 

these will make flipping and digging easier.

our obi's will have all the pressing information, color , condition, price and other cool info on it.

i'm hoping buyers will appreciate the extra effort.

• 3 weeks later...

so good news.  we opened !!

so we're looking for some collections to buy..

limited, out of print and rare stuff only.

hit me up on here or DM me.

before you do tho.. we're looking to price things very reasonably at the store, so

please keep that in mind before hitting us up.  I just don't want to waste your time ...

thanks kristian (limited to one record shop nyc)

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Dunc said:

That kid dynamite would have been awesome to own and I would buy the firme for that price in a second. I just saw vgs two weeks ago after Frank left the band. It's just not the same.  Wishing you much success.

thanks a ton.

literally some dude came in last night and bought both of them .  

thanks a ton  .  I haven't seen VGS in years.  was Frank the singer?

1 hour ago, thepunkguy said:

thanks a ton.

literally some dude came in last night and bought both of them .  

thanks a ton  .  I haven't seen VGS in years.  was Frank the singer?

Yes. He quit out if nowhere in the middle of a tour. Just announced it in night in stage. The rest of the band had no idea.

hey dude,

i've heard good things about your store, and about you personally. i have a ton of rare items available in this facebook photo album. add me there and we can work something out if there are some pieces you're into. i do have lots of rare records, but i also have original bowling pins from Fireside Bowl, a Matt Skiba signature guitar limited to only 100 that were produced, used drum sticks from Mike Felumlee of Smoking Popes/Alkaline Trio, rare shirts and merch from Alkaline Trio, Hot Water Music, Chance the Rapper, Kanye, and lots more.

i also run Artistic Integrity Records (bandcamp / facebook) and have a couple test pressings available that you might be into.

i put out the Plow United / The Scandals split 7" and have one test pressing bundle left of that (you'd get test pressing #9/10, and a matching number copy of each of the variants of that record; red, white, black).

Devon Kay of Devon Kay & The Solutions is the guitar player for Direct Hit. i put out the DK&S 7" split with The Ambulance Review, and have a few tests left from that release. those tests come with a die-cut cover which is amazing.

same thing with The Fur Coats 7" i put out, die-cut covers on those tests, as well. i have a couple of those left. that band features Devon Kay on bass, but is fronted by Marc Ruvolo of Johann's Face Records, No Empathy, Das Kapital, Traitors, etc...

i also help run Live From The Rock Room (youtube / facebook) and starting in October, we'll be releasing vinyl for some of our more popular sessions. maybe we could work something out where you guys get a test pressing, or an autographed copy, or something neat for the store?

anyway, the point is, i have lots of shit i'd be willing to work with you on, and i'm always coming across new stuff so if things go well and we're both happy with our first transaction, i see plenty of potential for lots of future deals.

i don't check VC super often anymore, so the best way to get in touch with me would either be through facebook or by e-mailing me at [email protected]. hope to hear from you soon, but either way, congratulations on your store and good luck!

-dan