Mid Year Review

Favorite so far Kenoma...The Tides Will Prevail

Need to check out Rev Peyton and The Hooten Hallers's new records...I've only listened to each one once.

Archivist's Construct was amazing.

The new Sam Gleaves...amazing...sadly no vinyl pressing.

Pyreship

Alchimia..Musa

Somnium Nox...should be getting that one soon.

It's been a great year for music...

Nothing (pun intended being Nothing was my 2016 aoty) has come close to my top 5 of last year, but here's everything I've dug this year.  Pretty much in order.

Molly Burch (def my favorite release thus far.  So good.)

Run the Jewels

Glories (best post-rock album so far)

Sleepmakeswaves

Spectral Echo (best new artist)

Rob Scallon

White Reaper

Riding Panico

All Them Witches

Do Make Say Think

Palehorse/Palerider

Terraformer

Edited by mrewest

I came into this year with a mission of cutting right back on buying records and I'm glad I've stuck to that for the most part.

Tippy top of 2017 so far in order:

Planning For Burial - Below The House
Mount Eerie - A Crow Looked At Me

Wear Your Wounds - Wear Your Wounds
Nitkowski - Effortless Charm
Run The Jewels - RTJ3 (very late 2016 so probably more of a 2017 list contender)

Definite growers:
Slowdive - Slowdive
USA Nails - Shame Spiral

Favorites so far:

Rozwell Kid - Precious Art (probably AOTY)

What Gives - Feels Good

NNamdi Ogbonnaya - Drool

Pet Symmetry - Vision

Smith Street Band - More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me

Emperor X - Oversleepers International

Sorority Noise - You're Not As _ As You Think

Vasudeva - No Clearance

Off the top of my head, because I am not at home to check all my 2017 releases:

Adult Mom - Soft Spots
Cayetana - New Kind Of Normal
Julia Lucille - Chthonic
Julie Byrne - Not Even Happiness
Karima Walker - Hands In Our Names
Mount Eerie - A Crow Looked At Me
Planning For Burial - Below The House
Sinai Vessel - Brokenlegged
Vagabon - Infinite Worlds
Wild Pink - Wild Pink

The Menzingers - After The Party - This LP is AOTY for me, can't believe more people here not into it.

The Flatliners - Inviting Light - It took 2 years for me to truly appreciate Dead Language as their best LP, I don't think this will ever top that but it is still great despite the weird production

Garrett Dale - Two Ts EP - Was never much into RCR but "Here I go again, liquored up and then,  singin' Propagandhi until I lose oxygen" is my new 2am drunken kitchen dancing jam

Daniel Romano - Modern Pressure - Weird stuff but probably my fave release from him since Attack in Black

3 hours ago, deafening said:

Almost every release I've tried to listen to this year has been a colossal 'meh' so it's been a lot of DAMN. and You're Not As _____ As You Think on repeat.

Considering your tastes, I'm actually really curious on some of the stuff you've checked out this year.  I'll post an official mid-year list at the end of the month, but I'm finding that even though I'm pretty picky with what I choose to download, buy, and spend time listening to, I do seem to enjoy a very high percentage of it.  I can probably count the number of albums I've been disappointed with on one hand, this year.  I feel like I may be easy to please, but just particular of which labels, genres, and albums I'm dedicating my time to.

Been plowing through a ridiculous amount of new records this year, but not too much has stuck so far. 

Favorites so far:

Blanck Mass

Exquirla

Mastodon (big fan of Brann's singing so hey)

Ulver

Feist

At The Drive In 

Forest Swords

Mutoid Man

Brutus (maybe technically last year)

Madly disappointed by Gorillaz. Fleet Foxes and Elder really didn't do anything for me even though I'd hoped they might. Bunch of other stuff I can't think of but doesn't really stand out.  Extremely excited for the new Leprous and Chelsea Wolfe albums. Potentially excited for a new Queens Of The Stone Age album.

There have been a lot of records that I have liked so far, but nothing has stuck out as an obvious ROTY contender.

Vanum - Burning Arrow

Krallice - Prelapsarian

Lantern - II: Morphosis

Craven Idol - The Shackles of Mammon

Colour Haze - In Her Garden

Grails - Chalice Hymnal

Wind In His Hair - Earthwrecker

Majeure - Apex

The Great Old Ones - EOD: A Tale of Dark Legacy

Telekinetic Yeti - Abominable

Planning For Burial - Below the House

Pallbearer - Heartless

I just got the Elder and Mutoid Man records in recently and I haven't had much of a chance to dig into them yet.  Really looking forward to the Spectral Voice LP and the new Yellow Eyes, Mutilation Rites and Forn albums from Gilead Media later this year.

15 hours ago, cside said:

Daniel Romano - Modern Pressure - Weird stuff but probably my fave release from him since Attack in Black

Debating if I think this one is great or too much of a mess. My fave of his since AIB is Sleep Beneath The Willow, and I recognize that this is quite different, and I do love the Hazlewood-style he's been going for, but he's one of these artists who is so prolific I find it hard to keep up, and really dig deep.

I don't think there have been 10/10 records yet but some pretty good releases. Here's what I have so far:

Soup - Remedies

Elder - Reflections of a Floating World

Junius - Eternal Rituals for the Accretion of Light

Appalaches - Cycles

Astralia - Solstice

Set and Setting - Reflectionless

Slowdive - Slowdive

Paleons - Hyperborean

Black Sails For Red Seas - Wave:II

Barrows - Obsidian

Soen - Lykaia

Antethic - Ghost Shirt Society

19 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Considering your tastes, I'm actually really curious on some of the stuff you've checked out this year.  I'll post an official mid-year list at the end of the month, but I'm finding that even though I'm pretty picky with what I choose to download, buy, and spend time listening to, I do seem to enjoy a very high percentage of it.  I can probably count the number of albums I've been disappointed with on one hand, this year.  I feel like I may be easy to please, but just particular of which labels, genres, and albums I'm dedicating my time to.

I've given a lot of first listens to a lot of albums this year; some I couldn't even get past the third song,  like The Shins and MTB. 

I still need to listen to Elder and there's some post releases in queue that haven't made it into the rounds yet.

I've been oddly consumed in hip hop this year so I'll be looking forward to what's on your list as a resource for something different. If you dig it, chances are I will.

favorites so far...

Pissed Jeans - Why Love Now LP

Uniform - Wake In Fright LP

Sedem Minut Strachu - General Fucking 12"EP

Dreamdecay - YU LP

Wolf Eyes - Undertow LP

Milk Music - Mystic 100's LP

Internazionale - The Pale And The Colorful LP

No Faith - Forced Subservience LP

Pharmakon - Contact LP

Concealed Blade - s/t LP

S-21 - Year Zero 7"

Bastard Noise / Outermost - Split 7"

Sadist - Beauty Fades 7"

Ubik - Demo CS

Fields Of Mildew - III CS

Tony Molina - West Bay Grease CS

I've definitely listened to a lot more back catalogue stuff this year but there have been a good number of gems already released.

These are the couple I know will make my list at the end of the year unless I'm born again or something before then.

The Flaming Lips - Oczy Mlody: Quite a grower but man they've crafted a seamless journey through a world entirely strange and unknown.

Slowdive - Slowdive: Everyone knows how good this one is no need to explain why.

Cloud Nothings - Life Without Sound: Not as immediate or messy as prior records but I dig this more focused sound too.

(Sandy) Alex G - Rocket: He doesn't disappoint. If you don't know you're missing out.

Mount Eerie - A Crow Looked At Me: I've only listened a handful of times because it's so difficult to listen to but it's pretty hard to not be moved by this masterpiece.

Run the Jewels - RTJ3: I don't care this released this year.

Spencer Radcliffe & Everyone Else - Enjoy the Great Outdoors: Everything about this record is perfect. I wasn't expecting it after Looking In.

Kendrick Lamar - DAMN.: My favorite Kdot LP by a mile.

Enjoyed a lot of other releases like Japandroids, Cayetana, ATDI, Sorority Noise, and Gorillaz. Yeah Gorillaz, I don't care for their other stuff outside nostalgia but this record is really fun and has a lot of features I liked. These may or may not make my list.

A LOT of stuff still to come this year that I'm looking forward to. Fleet Foxes, Prawn, Foxing, The Wrens, The National, Rozwell Kid, crazy ass Colin Stetson project called Ex Eye, Vince Staples, Arcade Fire, Twiabp (low expectations), Japanese Breakfast, Dreamend, and I'm probably forgetting something obvious.