Mike Vennart Thread (Vennart / Oceansize / British Theatre)

10 hours ago, Burkazoid said:

I had tickets to see them in Manchester - flights booked and everything. They cancelled the tour at the last minute due to the drummer having a cyst on his arm. They disbanded soon after and I never got to see them live. :(  Can't complain about their reasons, but that was properly gutting. The only consolation was seeing The Antlers in Dublin instead on the same weekend when they were touring "Hospice" (which has gone on to become one of my favourite albums of all time).

As much as I love them, they never blew me away live...their sound was always just a mash...you couldn't really say who's playing what...and I've seen them 5 times I think...maybe I was unlucky and only got to see them in places with deaf sound engineers...

On 2017-5-31 at 9:18 PM, Sasan said:

As much as I love them, they never blew me away live...their sound was always just a mash...you couldn't really say who's playing what...and I've seen them 5 times I think...maybe I was unlucky and only got to see them in places with deaf sound engineers...

Completely agree with this. I saw them before they recorded Frames (and dodgy bootleg recorded  that gig too) and really just a bit confused who does what and where. Like, all comes together, but still a big smooshy mess. And saw them at Heaven before Self Preserved and that was a massive mess (horrible venue). No one should beat themselves up for not seeing them, it's too "big" a sound to capture live fully I think.

3 hours ago, whoa said:

Completely agree with this. I saw them before they recorded Frames (and dodgy bootleg recorded  that gig too) and really just a bit confused who does what and where. Like, all comes together, but still a big smooshy mess. And saw them at Heaven before Self Preserved and that was a massive mess (horrible venue). No one should beat themselves up for not seeing them, it's too "big" a sound to capture live fully I think.

I've heard a bunch of live stuff that disagrees with these accounts of big, smooshy messes.  Not including the F2F gigs, there are bootlegs floating around (or were) that sounded good to me.  

But, being in a room with the vastness might be overload.  Guess it depends on the room.

On 6/1/2017 at 7:18 PM, Sasan said:

Noticed all the OP showing up on discogs lately?

I've noticed this too.  I'm a little grumbly that I spent ~$100 USD on an OG but it sounds absolutely pristine.  I had talked to Mike some years ago too a bit about repressing it and he said it would never happen because the label had no interest.  I guess never say never!

20 minutes ago, highfives said:

Mike has said a bunch of times that there wasn't a lot of interest on the initial release so it would be really hard to convince them to press it.  But I  certainly want it to happen!

I think their label is realizing the demand for their records on vinyl now so I hope its at least on the table. Its a pretty big undertaking to remaster a 70+ minute album for a 2XLP re-release so I would think that would make other works by them equally of interest to try to reissue on vinyl. Who knows.

1 minute ago, mcpherson123 said:

I think their label is realizing the demand for their records on vinyl now so I hope its at least on the table. Its a pretty big undertaking to remaster a 70+ minute album for a 2XLP re-release so I would think that would make other works by them equally of interest to try to reissue on vinyl. Who knows.

Beggars/Arkive might if Effloresce is successful we might see reissues of EiP and MFN.  But Home and Minor was released on Superball, so they'd be the ones to press it.  I think Frames did pretty well, so it would hopefully happen.  We should probably all start bugging Superball about it.

30 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

I forgot how they're discography is split across two labels. Frames got pressed about 3 years ago. It was a good pressing from what I remember. Haven't spun it in ages. It is due for a repress though. I think it would be great if all their stuff could get reissued. 

I'd love to see a 7" box set or a 4xLP of all of the 10" and 7" songs.

That's in addition to keeping the LPs in print.

• 3 months later...
On 9/27/2017 at 9:08 AM, highfives said:

Aside from a couple of 7", this is the last piece of the collection for me.  Oh, and Feed to Feed...  

Unfortunately I still need ALL the Oceansize vinyl and Feed to Feed. Does anyone here know if the Feed to Feed DVDs are region coded? That's been my big hang up, other than price.