Mike Vennart Thread (Vennart / Oceansize / British Theatre)

On 8/23/2018 at 5:52 AM, rickydenim said:

Can we just talk about how awesome 'Spider Bones' is? I cannot stop listening to it and in no way is it getting stale at all. Best yet IMO.

this track is awesome and I love the dancey drum style, but man...  every time I play this I always hear "Blue Monday" when it starts lol

• 4 weeks later...

So how's everybody enjoying  'To Cure A Blizzard' & the Copeland EP? Truly spoilt having so many new Vennart tunes! I've had them on repeat. The surprising thing is that despite how many times I listened to the singles I don't want to skip them, the songs are just TOO good! 

Did anyone that pre-ordered through his webs tore get a bandcamp download link? I got a 'Singles' download but is only 320k, really need the FLAC!

3 hours ago, rickydenim said:

So how's everybody enjoying  'To Cure A Blizzard' & the Copeland EP? Truly spoilt having so many new Vennart tunes! I've had them on repeat. The surprising thing is that despite how many times I listened to the singles I don't want to skip them, the songs are just TOO good! 

Did anyone that pre-ordered through his webs tore get a bandcamp download link? I got a 'Singles' download but is only 320k, really need the FLAC!

It's all really, really good. It's hard to pick out a particular favourite but Terrors jumped out at me straight from the off, for how unusually 'uplifting' it sounds. I dunno if that's quite the right word for it, but I'm all for it. The EP is a nice little companion too, definitely some Mogwai vibes - a bit like the Home & Minor EP, which might be my favourite 'size release!

As for the FLAC, I got a bandcamp link - you should be able to pick FLAC as an option by clicking on the format it offers you, unless it's changed of late? 

I'm still trying to digest this one.  There are some immediate high points, but there are also some that I'm not sure if I just don't like or if I need more time to get my head around them.  Binary is incredible and reminds me a lot of how 'Size opened Frames (9/11 T-shirt).    But Friends Don't Owe is one of those where I'll have to listen to it more and it still might end up being my least favorite on the album.

The EP is awesome and I'm Janick Gers makes me want Mike to make a straight up post-rock record.

20 hours ago, Mattallurgist said:

It's all really, really good. It's hard to pick out a particular favourite but Terrors jumped out at me straight from the off, for how unusually 'uplifting' it sounds. I dunno if that's quite the right word for it, but I'm all for it. The EP is a nice little companion too, definitely some Mogwai vibes - a bit like the Home & Minor EP, which might be my favourite 'size release!

As for the FLAC, I got a bandcamp link - you should be able to pick FLAC as an option by clicking on the format it offers you, unless it's changed of late? 

I actually haven't even hard Home & Minor, not sure how I've missed this! Will check it out! I finally got hold of the bandcamp link so got the FLAC now. Weird how the Copeland EP is 24bit and Blizzard is only 16bit...

Looking forward to spending some good headphones time with this when the deluxe arrives.  Friends Don't owe is probably the only track that I am unsure about but I'm coming around on it. Huge love for everything else! Definitely completely different to the last album but I think that's great as just makes them both something I'll revisit a ton. 

• 1 month later...

Mine came yesterday, it looks INCREDIBLE. They've done such a great job! I haven't seen a box set with that cut-out before.The handwritten note and polaroid are both really nice little touches too. If it sounds half as good as it looks I'll be very happy.

I did seem to get a second Copeland CD in my parcel for some reason though, in a plastic sleeve outside the box...no explanation so if any of you are missing one I might have it!

40 minutes ago, Mattallurgist said:

Mine came yesterday, it looks INCREDIBLE. They've done such a great job! I haven't seen a box set with that cut-out before.The handwritten note and polaroid are both really nice little touches too. If it sounds half as good as it looks I'll be very happy.

I did seem to get a second Copeland CD in my parcel for some reason though, in a plastic sleeve outside the box...no explanation so if any of you are missing one I might have it!

There was a fuck up at the plant.  The Copeland CD in the box actually ha the LP on it.  So the extra is a replacement.

• 1 year later...

Just an FYI to all you fellow Vennart fans theres a new single called Dick Privilege, full things streamable on his site. Video/Download/7" Gammon coloured vinyl drops tomorrow 9AM (I'm assuming that's GMT/UK time zone).

The track is absolutely filthy sounding. Reminds me of Oceansize's rhythm section's side project KONG. 

Not sure if this means another album is on the way, I know Biffy spent most of last year doing that score and recording album 8 with a view to that dropping this year but they still record in the studio as a three piece as far as I understand. Doesn't make the time frame implausible for Mike to have finished something more than just a 7", what it may mean though is that if there is something bigger in the works it might not get toured upon release or it could be held back from release until it's possible to tour in support of it. 

Purely speculation because any Vennart news makes my pants fizz.

Edited by Stress On The Sky