PO: The War On Drugs - A Deeper Understanding

Totally. Box set came yesterday and feels super sturdy and reminds me of the old 70’s Carpenters albums or something. The Atlantic labels and everything are really cool throwback or maybe they never stopped? Either way 40 bones for the set is worth it which is really cool and almost never happens. 

Ivebeen seeing the set set on Discogs for like 100 already sheesh 

4 hours ago, thetrackt said:

Ivebeen seeing the set set on Discogs for like 100 already sheesh 

Their limited color albums sell for a ton, right around the $100 mark, crazy.  I was only a casual listener around the time of slave ambient and only really got into them after Lost in the Dream really started to grow on me.  Really wish I would've picked up that purple Lost in the dream though!

After giving this album a few listens, it definitely more "dad rock" than the previous album. I do like some of the layered complex instrumentation, mostly how the keys mix with the bass and the fuzzed out guitars solos. But what sort of ruins it for me are the lyrics and his delivery. On this release the delivery seems particularly contrived. Overdone at times. Like than Dylan-esque whine is forced.

War on Drugs would be better as a spaced-out, instrumental psyche/stoner band. Ditch the vocals because it makes me feel like I'm 50 and listening to the Eagles.

Just my thoughts.

9 minutes ago, zdkaiser said:

War on Drugs would be better as a spaced-out, instrumental psyche/stoner band.

I'd prefer this as well, to be completely honest.  My favorite parts of this new album are the instrumental ones.  I don't hate the vocals or anything but they definitely make some songs feel like they overstay their welcome a bit.

so it seems like a couple of folks over at Discogs are complaining about pressing/sound issues with the EU (coke bottle) clear pressing, even single users with multiple copies. Any other EU folks here that can comment on this? I would like to have a nice copy if I spend 27€ (cheapest I could find) as opposed to about 20 for a black copy. This is shaping up to be a great album, but if the pressing sucks I'll gladly reside with the simple version.

21 minutes ago, poweredbytrust said:

so it seems like a couple of folks over at Discogs are complaining about pressing/sound issues with the EU (coke bottle) clear pressing, even single users with multiple copies. Any other EU folks here that can comment on this? I would like to have a nice copy if I spend 27€ (cheapest I could find) as opposed to about 20 for a black copy. This is shaping up to be a great album, but if the pressing sucks I'll gladly reside with the simple version.

I've detected no sound issues with mine, have played it twice so far