Pro-ject Debut Carbon vs Sony PS-HX500

I am considering the two decks listed in my title. I have heard great things about the Pro-ject as an entry level deck. I do plan to upgrade eventually. I am also considering the utility of the Sony and its ability to rip the record via usb. My thought is once I upgrade I would still have use for the Sony and I dont think I would with the Pro-ject. Are there any cons to sound quality with Sony unit? Has anyone used the Sony? how easily does it rip audio via USB? Are there other decks that are better for ripping audio than the Sony?

Depending on where in the world you live there are other options new and a lot of options used turntable wise for the same money.

As to using built in USB on turntables as a general rule they are poor, that said Sony has at least put some effort into their unit and What HiFi has given it a pretty good review but not having heard the table I can't comment on how good it is.

There are also other options for ripping your vinyl and if you are using a PC or laptop that has a line in jack you can simply line in from the tape out of your amplifier, this then means that the quality limitations are the sound card within the computer not the external USB device which as I say are generally poor. Also some external phono stages have USB outputs which would be preferable to most on table units.

5 hours ago, vinylcountdown88 said:

,Thanks for the info. I saw the Sony reviewed in another publication too. They seemed to have the opinion it was the best on deck usb set up I am hesitant to buy a used turntable without being able to hear it.

Why would you buy a new table without hearing it but you wouldn't a used one? There is no guarantee the new one will be any good and at that sort of price range you can buy a better table used than you can new.

TBH I wouldn't buy any turntable without hearing it unless it was so cheap it was practically being given away

Thats a good point, I'd prefer to hear before I buy but thats not always possible. At least with a new deck I could return it. So for now I'm relying heavily on reviews. You say there are a few used models that are around the same price that are better? could you name a few? 

18 hours ago, allenh said:

Also some external phono stages have USB outputs which would be preferable to most on table units.

I havent done much searching for software but what kind of equipment and or software would I need to rip vinyl to mp3? I hadnt really considered it a viable option until I read about the Sony unit.

To make a suggestion on a used table I would need to know where you live but as a very small example there are many well made Japanese units both direct and belt drive, European tables from people like Thorens, Rega, Systemdeck and Lenco plus many smaller makers and also AR from the US to name just a few. The zenith for the turntable as a thing was the early 70's up until the late 90's and everything available now is heavily based if not exactly the same as what was available then. The Sony is actually different in the market as it's a completely new design in that it's not as far as I can see borrowing parts and mouldings from any of Sony's previous products but as a piece of engineering its basic design is still no different to the models that have gone before

As to recording as @Tardcore says the choice of software is very wide, I use Audacity for instance which is freeware and very good. Hardware wise you need a tape out from your amplifier or receiver and a line in on your computer or laptop and a lead to connect between the two. No USB is required anywhere unless you don't have a line in and use a USB soundcard to get one.

3 hours ago, allenh said:

To make a suggestion on a used table I would need to know where you live but as a very small example there are many well made Japanese units both direct and belt drive, European tables from people like Thorens, Rega, Systemdeck and Lenco plus many smaller makers and also AR from the US to name just a few.

Im based in the US. Thanks for the help. Thats a good bit of info. I had heard of audacity but wasnt sure the best way to get a quality recording. It would depend on the sound card in my PC at that point. I think the phono to usb interface would be the way to go. Thanks for all the help.

I wouldn't buy a new turntable, you can get so much for your money used it would be very unlikely the new turntable would better the used one. For example, I have a £5,500 turntable which I paid £1,500 for, nothing at £1,500 new will equal my turntable. Also, if you decide it's not right for you soundwise you can sell it on with little to no financial loss. There are bargains out there too, I picked up an old AR 101 turntable for £100 and it sounds just great, much better than it has any right to be and much better than the Rega P25 I'd previously owned which I bought for £400 and sold for £400 after a year of use.

Join a hi-fi forum and search the used section you'll be surprised at what turns up and the prices.

In reality, so long as a turntable spins at the correct speed and is reasonably damped it will have less of an impact on the sound than the cartridge and phono stage. Even the surface it's placed on can have a dramatic effect, especially if it's an unsuspended deck.

Edited by RSand