PO NOW // Kayo Dot - Choirs Of The Eye // 2 x LP

Finally!!!

Special 180 colored vinyl Collectors' edition: $45
Standard weight black vinyl: $35

http://kayodot.bigcartel.com/product/kayo-dot-choirs-of-the-eye-2xlp-pre-order

choirs_cover_sketch.jpg?auto=format&fit=

I’m beyond stoked to announce that, after 14 years, Kayo Dot’s debut album, Choirs of the Eye, is finally being made available on vinyl for the first time! Thanks to consistent pressure and demand from fans, Choirs’ original label, Tzadik, has been kind enough to grant us permission to *self-release* a special edition of this masterpiece. The only way we can make this happen, therefore, is through pre-orders. Here are the details:

• A 2xLP housed in a fancy reflective silver and black gatefold jacket, with an insert featuring *all the lyrics for the first time ever* in their official form, photos, charts from the original recording session, and any other visual artifacts from the original sessions that we can dig up.

• Audio remastered specifically for vinyl, from the original masters, by Scott Hull at Masterdisk, who mastered the original CD release back in 2003.

• Bonus material will be provided to everyone who pre-orders, including:

- An unreleased outtake from the original recording session, in other words, an as-yet-unheard Choirs of the Eye studio skeleton (which will be delivered when the LP is delivered). We’re not sure yet what form this will take - maybe a high-resolution digital version that you can use as a stem in your own music, or maybe a cassette with other weird stuff on it? That’ll be determined by how well the pre-orders do.

- The full multi-camera video of Kayo Dot’s performance of Choirs of the Eye at The Stone in August 2015 (which will be delivered as soon as you pre-order! - we'll be manually emailing out download codes for these, so please give us 24 hours to get it to you)

• 250 copies will be available in a special collectors’ edition 180g black and silver/white swirl colored vinyl with a bit fancier textured cover, and the remainder will be available in standard weight black vinyl without the textured cover.

• Edition of either 750 or 1000, depending on demand.

Estimated turnaround time for all of this is roughly five months. That means we’re aiming to have everything shipped out in the beginning of December, to arrive in time for Christmas.

Special 180 colored vinyl Collectors' edition: $45
Standard weight black vinyl: $35

Shipping:
US Priority Mail = $12.75 for first unit, add $5. each additional unit
Canada = $15. for first unit, add $10. each additional unit
Worldwide International = $25. for first unit, add $10. each additional unit

• 4 weeks later...
On 2017-06-15 at 7:03 AM, hammertime said:

So either almost $50 or almost $60 shipped within the US?  For something hopefully out by Christmas?  Pass.

Not only this, but last time they did a self-release, (Hubardo 3xLP) many people had to pester him via email and his personal facebook page for YEARS in order to receive a simple refund because they never got their stuff.  Toby Driver has a reputation for doing this.  He tends to just give people excuses for years.  One kid mad to get him mom get mad at him on facebook to get a refund to the mom's credit card.  That was for the Hubardo thing., Prior to that, they had a kickstarter that is still unfinished, the project is called 'Ichneumonidae' and if you look it up and check the comments you'll see nobody ever got anything and quite a few people were miffed about it.

I pitched on the kickstarter for Tartar Lamb 2 and Ichneumonidae, I personally did get the Hubardo 3xLPs but the quality was not nearly as good as I was expecting, and many people didn't.  After the Ichneumonidae thing and the amount of people I read got burned on Hubardo, I wouldn't even touch this unless you want to gamble and don't care if you never receive anything at all.  Or have to bug the guy every few months for years to maybe eventually get a refund.

Flenser seems to have good quality production.  The fact this is being self-released and not handled by Flenser is kind of not a great sign.  Besides having a reputation for not sending goods, the quality of the Hubardo 3xLP was not up to standards.  It was advertised as being 200g vinyl but turned out to not even be 180g heavyweight vinyl.  The records themselves as super floppy, like 140-160g range.  Referring to the original self-released pre-order press here and not the recent Flenser reissue.

In addition to that the original run had an option to bundle the Sword of Satan book.  The book quality was also very cheap and a lot of the screen printed text didn't transfer properly, paragraphs were missing words, making the books seem unfinished.

• 5 months later...
On 3/1/2018 at 10:41 PM, andi said:

Does anyone have any news on this one? I know that there were some problems with the Testpresses. Any new dates when this will be out?

Test press was approved in December, they said they are expecting to receive the item from the plant this month, so hopefully it should be shipping soon

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

"I wanted to wait a few days until the records came in to post an update, but since I've been receiving a lot of emails this month asking about the status of the CHOIRS OF THE EYE vinyl, I'll just post this quick update, with a bigger one to come next week. Currently I'm still waiting for the records to actually arrive at my place from the plant (remember there was a delay because of the test pressings). I was notified by the manufacturer that the records are expected to be in NYC this coming weekend. Once I receive them, records will begin going out in the order that the orders came in. Now would be a good time to email me any address changes that you might have had since you made your purchase. If you have already emailed me about your address change, there is no need to email me again, and there is no need to receive a response; I'll file your info in my database. Email me at toby at kayodot dot net. Thanks!!"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...