the verve - Urban Hymns (20th anniversary deluxe set 6LP - Album, B-Sides, Live show)

12" with a alt version of Bittrsweet symphony and a live version of Drugs Don't Work from their 9:30 show in 97.

https://store.udiscovermusic.com/*/*/Bitter-Sweet-Symphony-Alt-Version-Exclusive-12-Vinyl-Single/5L010000000    (Insane shipping cost)

Edited by timsimmons

1 hour ago, dreamover said:

No way. 'A Storm In Heaven' is their best. 

It was more of an offhanded comment that I love this record. Personally I'm partial to Northern Soul as their best. I thought it was the best balance between the jams and the pop. 

Edited by timsimmons

15 hours ago, MtrCtyWx said:

I read once that Allen Klein successfully claimed 100% of royalties for the song because of the sample.  Not sure if it was in perpetuity or not.

Supposedly Klein and the Stones do get ALL the songwriting royalties forever, after suing The Verve for the unauthorized sample. Richard Ashcroft was paid a flat rate for "lyrics".... which is the sort of crotch kick that Klein specializes in.

It did lead to a fantastic Ashcroft quote though: "Well, Bitter Sweet Symphony is now the best song the Stones have written in 20 years."

On 07/07/2017 at 0:03 PM, filthyrich said:

Supposedly Klein and the Stones do get ALL the songwriting royalties forever, after suing The Verve for the unauthorized sample. Richard Ashcroft was paid a flat rate for "lyrics".... which is the sort of crotch kick that Klein specializes in.

It did lead to a fantastic Ashcroft quote though: "Well, Bitter Sweet Symphony is now the best song the Stones have written in 20 years."

Supremely ironic, that whole outcome, given that the Baker St. Philharmonic's string arrangement was composed by literally zero members of the band, but instead by producer Andrew "Loog" Oldham, who deserved 100% of the credit. It's a contemptible affair, all around, all these decades later.

Edited by armadillo01