Questions about turntable model and quiet records

Hi there.

I purchased an Audio Technica LP60 around a year ago.

1) I've heard some discussion that I should upgrade to a different model (LP120, or Orbit etc), and that the amount of force applied to records by the LP60 can actually damage my records over time. Is this true?

2) Recently, I've noticed that my records appear to be playing significantly quieter, and with more of an emphasis on lows, rather than mids and highs. Is something like this typically/ever caused by problems with the needle or cartridge? Should I get either replaced?

Thank you.

1. It certainly can be true.  The real issue is that the tracking force (force of the stylus on the record) is not adjustable.  It's a poor design, but if the tracking force is okay, theoretically your records are fine. LP60's aren't known for quality, but it's not nearly as bad as a crosley or it's derivatives when it comes to chewing up vinyl.

2. Yes,  poor audio playback can result from problems with your cartridge/stylus, wether that be alignment issues or mechanical issues. Your cartridge is neither adjustable or replaceable. You could try replacing the stylus, but it looks like that would cost at least $20.  But it could also be problems with the wiring used in the tonearm, the riaa circuitry in the turntable, just countless things.

I listen to records at least four to five evenings a week, so I don't care to put money in my system. I don't know your situation, so I can't tell you exactly what to get. The AT lp120 is certainly a step up, and so is the Orbit. I haven't personally used an Orbit, have used other people's 60 and 120. Although the 120 is better than the 60, I still don't think highly of it.

if you listen to records more than a few times a month and have a decent sized collection that would make it worth it, I think you'd be wise to just try to sell your current table for $50 on craigslist and save a couple hundred for a proper table. With that I would also say that a couple hundred put into used equipment will go much further than a couple hundred put into used.

If you are located in the US what city are you close to? We could see what kinds of used equipment is close and make recommendations.

hope that helps

On 07/07/2017 at 10:57 AM, Jlegg said:

1. It certainly can be true.  The real issue is that the tracking force (force of the stylus on the record) is not adjustable.  It's a poor design, but if the tracking force is okay, theoretically your records are fine. LP60's aren't known for quality, but it's not nearly as bad as a crosley or it's derivatives when it comes to chewing up vinyl.

2. Yes,  poor audio playback can result from problems with your cartridge/stylus, wether that be alignment issues or mechanical issues. Your cartridge is neither adjustable or replaceable. You could try replacing the stylus, but it looks like that would cost at least $20.  But it could also be problems with the wiring used in the tonearm, the riaa circuitry in the turntable, just countless things.

I listen to records at least four to five evenings a week, so I don't care to put money in my system. I don't know your situation, so I can't tell you exactly what to get. The AT lp120 is certainly a step up, and so is the Orbit. I haven't personally used an Orbit, have used other people's 60 and 120. Although the 120 is better than the 60, I still don't think highly of it.

if you listen to records more than a few times a month and have a decent sized collection that would make it worth it, I think you'd be wise to just try to sell your current table for $50 on craigslist and save a couple hundred for a proper table. With that I would also say that a couple hundred put into used equipment will go much further than a couple hundred put into used.

If you are located in the US what city are you close to? We could see what kinds of used equipment is close and make recommendations.

hope that helps

Located in Ottawa, Ontario. I know of one retailer here (Planet of Sound) that sells turntables other than Crosleys. Any suggestions for a specific make? Not picky with features. Just looking for something that won't ruin my records and is under 300$ Canadian.

Edited by DoublesGuy
Put my text in the quote box by mistake.

If you're in Ottawa, I might suggest that you use Canuck Audio Mart and buy a turntable secondhand. You'll definitely get the best bang for buck, and this opens up a lot more possibilities as far as price and quality. Consider high quality vintage or lightly used newer turntables (you can likely find a starter decent table like the Pro Ject Debut Carbon, Rega RP1, Music Hall 2.2, or something like those for around $300-400 CDN). Read the beginner's guide and then look at what you can get on Canuck Audio Mart. If someone has enough good feedback, you can likely assume they will know how to properly pack a turntable to ship. There really aren't a lot of options of buying turntables online in Canada, which limits a lot of options.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/classifieds/31-turntables/

$300. Right here. http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649365373-project-debut-carbon-dc/ Comes with the acrylic platter which costs $120 itself. This is a very solid deal.

$295. http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649352418-rega-p1-turntable-with-rb100-tonearm-see-photo/ I've bought from these guys before. Very reputable.

• 2 weeks later...